X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
    - Gf finding mince pies. Real ones by Walkers:

Seijoishi (import shop) in Toride has all sorts of stuff like that. They even have Appletiser, which is the one thing I can't seem to get here. Hell, it's actually easier to find Irn Bru here.

Comment

Jason Statham on Chat Roulette.

Comment

Why does that dude take is clothes off?

Shame it's fake though.
        Last edited by kryss; 23-12-2013, 20:13.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
          - Gf finding mince pies. Real ones by Walkers:

Do you know where she found them? I'm surprised that she found them given that the import stores in Japan mainly have American and Australian goods, and none of my American friends seem to know what mince pies are!

I'll have a look today though. I do have some Asda Extra Special pies sent by family, but one box is not enough!

Comment

You're around Kyoto, yeah Shakey?

There's a Seijou Ishii on basement floor 2 of Shijou station.
            Last edited by kryss; 23-12-2013, 21:25.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try and make my way there.

I'm going to be at Kyoto-eki this morning to meet my girlfriend, so I'll be checking out the import store underneath the train station (Jupiter). I now have a renewed determination to source some more pies now that I know they can be found here!

Comment

Also one in front of gate 1 of Kyoto subway station.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Have you got a girlfriend now? I don't think I'd seen you mention it.
                  Oi, you! If I'd replaced the word gf with wife/wifey/missus/etc, no one would bat an eyelid

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                  Do you know where she found them?
                  She got them at a shop in Ebisu, Tokyo.

I've seen a lot of this Walkers stuff around. Convenience stores often sell their shortbreads(~100Y for a pack of two) and at the shopping centre near my schools they were selling gift boxes, too. Haven't seen any mince pies myself, though.

I was convinced this would be my first xmas without them(since starting to enjoy them about ten years ago). I didn't even mind that there was no custard or cream. I'll try making custard one of these days. Mmmmm.

Comment

I am refusing to be defeated in the attempt to have a proper Christmas in Japan. Every year they try and crush my spirit and every year it makes me stronger!

Mince pies - check (bought from seijo ishii in Osaka umeda hankyu station every year, but they usually sell out in November so don't hang about).

Christmas crackers - check (brought back in person from last trip home cos the post office says no to crackers)

Christmas tipple - check (baileys and a selection of whisky... will partake of the Scapa this year I think)

REAL CHRISTMAS TREE! - check. My wife surprised me with this one. It's meant for gardeners rather than as a Xmas decoration as it is fully alive, roots included, but it has been living on our balcony for the last three weeks. Took it indoors two days ago and is currently giving the area around the presents a lovely pine resin smell that brings a tear to my eye. Nice one wifey.

Advent calendar - check. My daughters first experience of this (she is 2). I had to partially make it at home, got one with lots of little boxes to put presents in (yay for toy story gachapon prizes) but it had no pictures to be revealed or doors to open. I printed out a set of 24 pictures that basically comprise my daughters current vocabulary and stuck them on the rear of the boxes, so she can turn it around, take out the present, put it back and the picture will be on display. Every night when I get home from work she runs to greet me and pulls me by the hand to open the calendar for the day. Big success.

Day off work - not bloody likely. I'll be getting home around 7pm on Xmas day, but that is effectively Xmas morning in the UK so we will be skyping with my parents and opening presents at around the same time as them. I just hope my daughter is able to stay awake... and that she doesn't get too excited with her new toys and is then unable to sleep. Hmmm. At least I'm off work from Boxing Day until after new year.

Random acquaintances keep trying to spoil things by giving her presents and asking her to open them on the spot, sadly the concept of waiting for Xmas is unheard of in Japan and nobody would understand me if I tried to enforce that, so the Xmas day effect will be a little diluted but I hope she can still feel that is a special day.

Kryss - irn bru easy to find?! I assume you are talking about in canada. We had to import 6 cans of Bru at a cost of 40 pounds last year (again it was my wife's surprise gift to me)
                    Last edited by Darwock; 24-12-2013, 04:00.

Comment

That's lovely, Darwock. I'm sure all your efforts will pay off and you'll have a fab day.

I love the Advent calendar determination!

Comment

Darwock, yeah I meant in Canada sorry bud.

Comment

I rear-ended a car this morning...the start of a REALLY bad day!

The driver got out of the other car, and he was a DWARF!!
                          He looked up at me and said 'I am NOT Happy!'
                          So I said, 'Well, which one ARE you then?'

That's how the fight started.

My wife and I were sitting at a table at her high school
                          reunion, and she kept staring at a drunken man swigging his
                          drink as he sat alone at a nearby table.

I asked her, "Do you know him?"
                          "Yes", she sighed,
                          "He's my old boyfriend. I understand he took to drinking
                          right after we split up those many years ago, and I hear he
                          hasn't been sober since."

"My God!" I said, "Who would think a person could go on
                          celebrating that long?"

And then the fight started...

Comment

Nice determination Darwock, after you saying about Irn Bru, I bought the missus a box of six I think Peanut Butter Poptarts at an American store last weekend. ?6.99. Won't be repeating that too often.

Thought your post was real to start with Charles.

Comment

Merry xmas kids!

Comment

That is grim.

Comment

Working...
                                X