No announcement yet.

Is "nationality" becoming outdated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always find it funny when UK racists spout nonsense about being British. Many would be truly shocked at their own genetic background.
    We have been a melting pot of various peoples since early times and the reason we have a issues with the French and Germans in particiular is because we are so alike e.g. sibling rivalry.

Nationality should be confused with tribalism.

Comment

Nationality just creates hate, especially when parties like UKIP jump onto it.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
        Nationality just creates hate, especially when parties like UKIP jump onto it.
        Nationality, Religion & lines on a map are pretty much the cause of every war there has ever been. Its about time we gave up on silly ideas and concentrated on other more important things...

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
          I always find it funny when UK racists spout nonsense about being British. Many would be truly shocked at their own genetic background.
          We have been a melting pot of various peoples since early times and the reason we have a issues with the French and Germans in particiular is because we are so alike e.g. sibling rivalry.

Nationality should be confused with tribalism.
          Absolutely. I have Scottish on my moms side with French mixed in, German on my dads. I'm an absolute mongrel and so is probably 99.9% of the country. Yet the sheeple still bang their silly national drums. First ticket to Mars comes up I'm off.

Comment

This makes me laugh. Why shouldn't you take pride in the country of your birth? Brought on by the achievements of your fellow countrymen, who have strived for advancements in medicine, science, technology or basic human rights? It's laughable that you throw out this vision of no national identity, when all it does it make you an equal of the countries of the world who should hang their heads in shame on account of the atrocities they are responsible for. Your national identity means something, and as misguided as my countrymen's current vote for independence is (which I'm against by the way) I can understand their frustration. Within the so called Great Britain, we're all in our own way losing our national identity, which is a sad thing when you consider how many things we can all take pride in whether we be Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish. Shame on you if you think otherwise, and pity on those from your respective countries who have fought and died before you to give you the freedom of life that you take for granted.

Me, I'm immensely proud of being Scottish, and I take that pride with me through this planet in every country I visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              This makes me laugh. Why shouldn't you take pride in the country of your birth? Brought on by the achievements of your fellow countrymen, who have strived for advancements in medicine, science, technology or basic human rights? It's laughable that you throw out this vision of no national identity, when all it does it make you an equal of the countries of the world who should hang their heads in shame on account of the atrocities they are responsible for. Your national identity means something, and as misguided as my countrymen's current vote for independence is (which I'm against by the way) I can understand their frustration. Within the so called Great Britain, we're all in our own way losing our national identity, which is a sad thing when you consider how many things we can all take pride in whether we be Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish. Shame on you if you think otherwise, and pity on those from your respective countries who have fought and died before you to give you the freedom of life that you take for granted.

Me, I'm immensely proud of being Scottish, and I take that pride with me through this planet in every country I visit.
              But what do you (or any of us) have to do with any of that, other than happening to be born within the same land mass? Massive progress in science and technology were achieved by people who lived within this geographic space, but how did we contribute to that? Why do we cling on to the achievements of the past as if they are achievements of our own? Why the bandwagoning? These were great achievements, but why do we have to assign those to ourselves in some way. They deserve the praise, rather than the rest of us claiming we are relevant in some way merely due to chance.

What is this 'pride' based on? Surely 'pride' should be felt for something that we have achieved, rather than mere happenstance? We didn't have much say in our location of birth, after all. People on the border region between India and Pakistan were proud Indians. Then, Pakistan was born and they were proud Pakistani. After political negotiations regarding the border demarcation, many of these suddenly became proud Indians again. The whole basis for their 'national pride' and 'national identity' was something that could so easily be negotiated and decided by the political class. It's a nonsense.

Comment

What does it have to do with you? It should be your inspiration, your goal, a target within what you would like to achieve in your own life. In my area of Scotland we have several historical people who through their individual achievements have become inspirational people to me and are directly responsible for the personal and financial contributions I've made toward charity. As I've become more and more financially stable throughout my life, I've increased my contribution toward the less fortunate, mainly due to the example shown by local heroes. You seem dismissive of what the decent people of this country have achieved, i'm not for one moment saying that we're better than anyone else, but you're kidding yourself if you think the responsible people of the UK care less than any comparable country.

My pride is based on what I personally feel that the decent people of my country would like to to convey themselves as, which is a friendly and welcoming nation. If you feel otherwise that's up to you, but from my travels I know that the average opinion of Scots is what I hope for.

Comment

Why should we be more proud (and inspired by) the achievements of people within one geographical location rather than another? Should we not be equally proud of and inspired by the achievements of people in France, Germany, China, and even Madagascar? Or should we elevate the achievements of those in the UK?

I'm not questioning whether or not we should be proud of the achievements of the human race or if this should be used for inspiration, I'm questioning why this pride should be dictated by the artificial borders formulated by a small handful of people.

Comment

Are you even asking me that as a serious question?

Be honest, what would you find more inspirational, the guy next door inventing a time machine from your village, or the guy on the opposite side of the world who you have absolutely no tie to?

I don't understand why this is such a puzzle to you, the achievements of small countries within the divisions of the UK are nothing short of remarkable. Other countries, or continents, can't compare to what we've achieved. You can talk global as much as you like, whether you like it or not, respect is due.

Comment

I guess our difference of perspective is demonstrated by your usage of 'we've'.

For example, many things were invented in the UK. It was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution. But myself having only walked this earth for 28 years, I had about as much to do with it as a monk in Tibet.

Comment

<sigh> Well, you are a bastion of your generation I suppose, sadly.

Comment

I fear for the man who can't stand by the strength of his own heart and mind, but takes the words of others who it is seemingly credible to quote as gospel in order to impress the equally bland.

Colin.

Comment

I took the words of those others because i already said those words to myself in my own words and they spoke to my own heart and mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
                              I took the words of those others because i already said those words to myself in my own words and they spoke to my own heart and mind.
                              Congratulations, I think you might be the first person to ever make me seriously type this as a reply. Ready? Here it comes......

LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X