Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, this is the SMILE thread.

Comment

I just read In Real Life, a graphic novel about a girl that meets a Chinese gold farmer in an MMO and tries to persuade him to fight his indifferent corporate overlords to provide him with better healthcare. There's even a bit of a heavy-handed introduction that contains the following:

I hope that the readers of this book will be inspired to dig deeper into the subject of behavioural economics and to start asking hard questions about how we end up with the stuff we own, what it costs our human brothers and sisters to make those goods, and why we think we need them.
      On the very last page, you'll find that the book itself was printed in China.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Dude, this is the SMILE thread.
        Yep. It was hilarious as we frantically looked for thing for her to puke it rather than all over the carpet.

Comment

Enjoyed this, BBC Radio New Comedy Award 2015 winner Yuriko Kotani.

Comment

Gf got me an iPad Mini for my birthday

Although it wasn't a surprise(she had to ask me if I wanted an iPad because I'd been talking up android tablets recently), she managed to scare me quite a bit: after telling her manager about it, he offered her the box for a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop as a joke.

Of course, I did my best acting when I opened the bag to see that thing and went "omg wow cool Asus Yoga 2 tablet! Aw thank you!" All the while wondering what happened to the iPad mini. Bear in mind that, not only had we agreed on an iPad but she'd even called me from the Apple Store last week to confirm the colour and stuff.

Having just accepted a life with a Lenovo and how nice the keyboard would be, I opened the box and the iPad was inside.

What a git.

Comment

My wife knows not to joke about getting me anything Apple-related.

Comment

Wife?? Is the paperwork all done? Congratulations! Sorry if you mentioned it already!

The iPad is gorgeous. I've never used a Mini before. But alas, it's on iOS 9.1 so I can't have maximum fun with it yet

Comment

Although it irks me that Black Friday now appears to be over a week long, I'm pleased some stores in America are closing for the Thanksgiving Weekend, to let their staff have the time off with their family.

TriplePundit reports on the intersection of people, planet and profit, focusing on sustainability, corporate social responsibility (CSR) and finance.

Comment

I left the UK ten years ago - at that time, I had never heard of any day called Black Friday. I assume it's another Americanism that we have been assimilated into?

Danger of a smile/irk crossover happening.

The one that really bugs me is Halloween. Not that we copy them - it's that British commentators have apparently forgotten the whole thing was ours to begin with, and are claiming we are selling out our culture. I come from a relatively isolated northern community, and when I was a kid thirty years ago we still did trick or treating ('guising' as it is more traditionally known in Scotland) with no influence from outside at all.

Uninformed wikipedia fact nazis are going to erase that fact from history, because everyone believes we are now only imitating the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                      I left the UK ten years ago - at that time, I had never heard of any day called Black Friday. I assume it's another Americanism that we have been assimilated into?

Danger of a smile/irk crossover happening.

The one that really bugs me is Halloween. Not that we copy them - it's that British commentators have apparently forgotten the whole thing was ours to begin with, and are claiming we are selling out our culture. I come from a relatively isolated northern community, and when I was a kid thirty years ago we still did trick or treating ('guising' as it is more traditionally known in Scotland) with no influence from outside at all.

Uninformed wikipedia fact nazis are going to erase that fact from history, because everyone believes we are now only imitating the U.S.
                      Well said.

Comment

Ordered 2 copies of Dark Souls 2 - Scholar of the First Sin for PS3 from BestBuy for $2.97 each -40% ($1.78 each FFS!), but got an email from BestBuy today apologising that they can't get the stock and giving me a $5 discount coupon.

Win.

Comment

My eldest girl, talking about being born in Ireland: "We're very lucky we spawned in where we did"

Comment

This:

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            Activate the 'skating filter' option in your settings to filter the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

Go to Google.com and type in:

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away

Hit <Enter>

Epic!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                My eldest girl, talking about being born in Ireland: "We're very lucky we spawned in where we did"
                                Take her camping and see if she sits in one spot watching who goes in and out of the tent

Comment

Working...
                                X