This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    And I have just gone from using a laptop as my primary computer for the last 5 years to a big ol' clunky desktop. Not regretting it!
    I've gone from an ageing iMac and iPad to a big self upgradable PC tower and a hybrid laptop. I have to say it was the best thing I have decided IT wise in ages. As much as I like osx as an operating system, it's not worth the ludicrous amounts of money Apple want for it. I actually quite like Windows10, as much as it pains me to say it, good job MS.

Comment

Every week someone on my facebook asks how they can get their stuff off their broken iPhone. Like, who cares. Just get a new one and reload everything from the cloud backup. And stop breaking them. I've never broken a phone - what are these people doing with them? Actually that's not true - I probably broke my Nokia 5800 Express music by driving off with it on the roof of the car, but I never found it to discover if it was broken or not

The whole throwaway nature of modern tech is irking me. At least consoles last a few years, but a new, more desirable, more fragile phone with worse battery life comes out every year

I'm typing this on a laptop from 2007. It's a bit slow (full disc encryption doesn't help either), but for browsing and typing it's infinitely better than an iPad if I want to do stuff on the sofa (not a the PC).

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Every week someone on my facebook asks how they can get their stuff off their broken iPhone. Like, who cares. Just get a new one and reload everything from the cloud backup. And stop breaking them. I've never broken a phone - what are these people doing with them? Actually that's not true - I probably broke my Nokia 5800 Express music by driving off with it on the roof of the car, but I never found it to discover if it was broken or not

The whole throwaway nature of modern tech is irking me. At least consoles last a few years, but a new, more desirable, more fragile phone with worse battery life comes out every year

I'm typing this on a laptop from 2007. It's a bit slow (full disc encryption doesn't help either), but for browsing and typing it's infinitely better than an iPad if I want to do stuff on the sofa (not a the PC).
        Yup. Though I'm finding phones are lasting me way longer than I need to upgrade. I now get a phone every 3-4 years now days, or longer if I don't need to change. Where as pre iPhone, a phone would last me a month before it broke through no fault of my own, most of the time either the hardware would fail or the os would perma lock up. I hated mobiles.

Now days I love the stability of my phone. I've never broken one either or even have a scratched screen. People just don't seem to look after things now days.

Comment

One of my relatives was round over the last couple of days and he had a screen protector on his phone which takes 12 hours or something crazy to set before use. Anyway, I asked why he needed it and he said his previous phone kept on getting a scratched screen. I asked why and he said because he put it in his pocket. And one pocket has coins and the other has keys in. If it was me, I would have gone with a consolidation, but the protector seems to be working out for him.

Comment

Phone in one pocket, everything else in the other. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              Phone in one pocket, everything else in the other. Done.
              It's not rocket science is it, just goes to show that rather than change a simple habit, people would rather spend money and time, plus the inconvenience of modifying the device, rather than simply remove the problem in the first place.

People baffle me they really do.

Comment

I thought the Llamasoft apps had been put back on the App Store? Certainly the issue was that Jeff didn't bother paying for the Apple Developer yearly licence, but he did renew it not that far back iirc. Maybe it's expired again.

As for the tale about the iPads and the music/piano software, I would have been tempted to make a full device backup, not just a synchronisation. That's basically like a ghost image you wipe a device with and reinstall on top. Just to be sure you get everything.

However, as said, the problem in general is the fact that if you have an app installed that is no longer on the App Store for various reasons (see below), then a full backup and restore is pretty much the only way to get it back.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                I think this is because they won't let you download a version of the app which is incompatible with your current version of iOS.
                Well, yes, but not in that way. The developer sets the minimum required iOS needed for the app, as long as you have that on the device, you can download the app. Whether the app WORKS after that point, for the reasons you gave, is an entirely different matter. We pulled a few of our older (deprecated, superseded) apps from the store recently because we found they no longer worked with iOS9, and we weren't going to ever update them again.
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  It's not rocket science is it, just goes to show that rather than change a simple habit, people would rather spend money and time, plus the inconvenience of modifying the device, rather than simply remove the problem in the first place.

People baffle me they really do.
                  I changed the pocket I keep my wallet in in order to avoid scratching the screen on my phone when I'm wearing jeans. You know, that minipocket that they still have finished with studs. That one.

Comment

I don't know how people cope with coins loose in their pocket in the first place Wallet and keys in one pocket, phone in the other.

I do use my phone for everything though. My laptop is 6 years old and practically useless now and I sold my first gen iPad long ago and don't really miss it so as long as I have a big screened phone (LG G4 currently) then I'm happy.

Comment

I learned the lesson of not putting something in with your keys when I was a child with my GBA... My iPhone is spotless after a year of ownership now. People at work have already smashed two 6S in like 2 months. Fools

Comment

DC comics ...another reboot ...i have really lost track how often DC have done that and Marvel to

Comment

They're both at it constantly. I don't know if any comic makes it to issue 10 now before thrown back to #1 again.

Comment

Hori appear to have made their New 3DS XL TPU cover available on Amazon UK. No such luck for the regular New 3DS though.

Thus meaning I have to import it. Great.

I dunno why I'm super paranoid about it though. If only it were made of Nintendium/Nintendo Plastic I wouldn't have to be scared of scrapes.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                              DC comics ...another reboot ...i have really lost track how often DC have done that and Marvel to
                              That's just comics though, right? I mean that's a defining aspect of their medium; everything is temporary.

Comment

Yep, but now everything is temporary on a far smaller timeline. There are endless #1s and restarts. It's quite ridiculous.

My irk: broadcast safe colours.

Comment

Working...
                                X