This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Moleman View Post
    I remember when I was in year 10/11, there were two 15 year old girls seeing blokes in their mid 20s, even in 2001/2002 it wasn't particularly a shunned thing.
    Shunned by who? Students or teachers? When I was in year 10/11 anyone who bagged someone in their 20's was considered rather groovy. We didn't really consider how that reflected on the 20 year-old but I'm pretty sure his mates would've thought he was awesome.

Am I on my own here or is Adam Johnson being compared to the likes of Jimmy Savile a bit OTT. I agree that he should have exercised better judgement and not broke the law but it feels that he's very much being made into a scapegoat for multiple police failings with paedophiles that escaped conviction.
    How anyone in their 20s can be attracted to a 15yo is beyond me but horses for courses. Regardless, I also wouldn't compare him to Jimmy Saville because of the difference in severity and number of the crimes but they're both paedophiles.

As for Hopkins, what really gets to me is that, rather than trying to argue that Johnson isn't a paedophile and leaving it at that, she's gone to the other extreme and called the girl a clever slag which is simply abhorrent. I don't care if that girl was clever, conniving, knew exactly what she was doing or was completely naive and coerced into it by Johnson. It's all irrelevant because she's not the one who has to consider the implications. He is. I've been occasionally bamboozled out of sweets or a go on the megadrive by youngsters of all ages but that doesn't mean I should treat them like adults.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      Have an dentist appointment next Saturday for another filling
      It irks me when you ask somebody what time their dentist appointment is and they reply something like:
      "About 9:15. It was the earliest appointment that I could book."

Rather than the time-honoured response of:
      "Tooth hurty"

Comment

I meant shunned in general, by friends and the public in general. There was 2 girls in my class who were 15 and seeing blokes in their 20s, one of them is now happily married with kids to that same bloke. Maybe my opinion on Johnson is tainted by this experience... I dunno.

I'm possibly on my own here and am probably coming across as someone with questionable morals but I think it's been blown out of proportion. It reminds me a bit of the case of Jimmy Page, he had an adult relationship with a 14yr old but she looked older and he wasn't a footballer so he got away with it.

I agree with her that Johnson isn't a paedophile but little else.

Comment

No willpower.

NTSC-U copy of CTR on eBay and I buy it in seconds. lol

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            It irks me when you ask somebody what time their dentist appointment is and they reply something like:
            "About 9:15. It was the earliest appointment that I could book."

Rather than the time-honoured response of:
            "Tooth hurty"
            Rather annoyingly I have a dentist appointment at 2:15 today.
            I'm fairly certain the receptionist is sick to **** with that joke anyway as it must happen every day

Comment

I've been working on a project and the client needs to keep it all under wraps. I had to show the progress to some people working on it (on my end) so stuck it on to vimeo with a password and told them it was top secret and to make sure they show nobody. Just in case, I also put that in the video description.

Got a vimeo mail today: Feel the love! Some other studio LIKED your video! Urrrggh...

Comment

HOW!????

Comment

One of them must have passed on the link and password to someone in that studio, that person opened it on their machine (logged into vimeo) and then hit like. There are several levels of stupidity in that chain of events.

Comment

Shaving.

Increasingly having to shave more regularly and I don't know why but it always makes me super anxious beforehand.

Comment

I just read that "addicting" is ok to use as an adjective according to the Oxford dictionary. The American dictionary states it's a transitive verb (Sam is addicting Sally to scrabble) so on this occasion I'm siding with the American.

Comment

I bought some of the moomin books to read to my 4yo daughter - these were the first books I ever read by myself and I remember the strong desire to read them before I was really able to read them, which is kind of what I was hoping to inspire in her.

Sadly, whenever I offer to read them to her before bed, she refuses. She would rather watch godawful YouTube people making donuts out of playdoh on mummy's smartphone. This irks me.

I kind of get it though, English is not her first language and I didn't realise how antiquated the translations are - I read them without trouble in the early 80s, but most of it is language she has never heard. It's probably just noise to her. I would have to adapt it on the fly into modern English as I read and I'm not that good, sadly.

Still, it's a sorry state of affairs.

Comment

I found similar with my kids. They took a while to get into books, but once they found ones they liked, suddenly they started to like books in general. You just have to persevere with different ideas till you get there

Comment

Is it just the Moomins books? Have you had a routine of reading other books to her before bed? If you have, just revisit the Moomins in a few years time (my daughter enjoyed them when she hit around 7 years old). If you haven't, it could be an idea to find some books she might find interesting so that you can build positive feelings around books and stories. Does she like reading picture books with you? There are a lot of really fun ones (Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus, for example) that you can then build on.

Comment

Get some Disney. I imagine she'll have more exposure to that already.
                              #DoesntHaveKidsYetButTryingToBeHelpful

Current irk: I have a 25% discount code for a Pixel C....only valid for the US. Grrr.

Comment

Oh yeah, she loves story time but most of what she has read with us so far is very basic. Usually she brings me a Japanese book, and I have to refuse (in all honesty I can read kids books but that would break her mindset of using only English with me). I was hoping to get her interested in English books with more words than pictures, but I guess her English is not that advanced. And I obviously will have to find the right books.

Funnily enough, my mum just sent a copy of the Gruffalo translated into Orcadian dialect, which is just a pure joy for me to read but sounds like gibberish to everyone else. I read that to my daughter and her face lit up at the end and she asked for one more time, haha. So maybe I'm wrong about the difficult language being the reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X