No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It's an adult story about magic in England in 1806, very interesting so far.. Gaming is dead, books for the win! :P

Comment

Watchmen - by alan moore: classic comic, needs no introduction

Supernature - by llyat watson: fascinating book that stretches the boundaries of science. Even 30 years later some of the stuff really blows your mind!

Comment

Angels and Demon - Dan Brown. So much better than DaVinci Code.

Comment

oops - double post - sorry
          Last edited by Wil; 16-06-2006, 20:32.

Comment

Bedtime - Yes Man by Danny Wallace. A really good laugh
            Lunchtime - Amazing Spider-Man Essential Vol 4 - the best period Spidey (late 60s) by the best Spidey artist - John Romita Sr.

Comment

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

This is the guy who wrote Fight Club and I've read a few of his books so far, the best being Survivor. Anyways, this one is about a group of writers who agree to be locked away from the world's distractions in order to write their masterpiece. There is a narrative that cleverly strings their many short stories together as you discover who these people are and what is happening to them. As their situation becomes more chilling (they are in a bricked up old theatre, food starts to run out, madness ensues) so does their writing - well that's what the back says, I've read a few chapters and its pretty good.

Comment

I recently read Lullaby by Palahniuk, very good read and extremely funny, once you get used to his writing style.

Comment

His writing style is probably a bit 'marmite' - I personally really like it. Enjoyed Lullaby too, have yet to read "Invisible Monsters" and "Diary". "Choke" was my ****ed up introduction to Palahniuk, still not read "Fight Club" and probably wont due to the film pwning so hard. "Non Fiction" is a good holiday read, good pieces on Wrestling, Combine Harvester racing/battling and the time he and a friend spent the day in dog suits

Comment

Fight Club the book > Fight Club the movie.

Here's a hint: the book didn't have a spineless get-out-clause happy Hollywood ending.

Comment

The film had a happy ending?

Didn't know the book had a different ending, will have to pick it up now...

Comment

Been reading a few books recently. Really enjoyed Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (as a few others in this thread have), although it was a bit meandering in places.

Firewall by Henning Mankell (translated into English) - detective thingy with intriguing plot (don't read the back of the book though). The ending was not sewn up enough for me though.

Dead Air by Iain Banks - Banks goes mainstream, but it kept my interest, especially the panic scenes near the end. Not as good as his normal stuff.

The Business by Iain Banks - more mainstream stuff, but very heartwarming and upbeat in stark contrast to most of his books.

Currently reading Panic - so far so good.

Comment

Not much of a reader myself, but a work mate of mine lent me The Alphabet of Manliness by Maddox and it's by far and away, one of the funniest things I've read.

It's tongue is firmly eschewed in it's cheek, but what this book offers is sage advice for manly (or wannabe) men.

Where else can you find out that Adam probably ate the apple in the Garden of Eden, then blamed Eve - and got away with it or learn the use of a Dutch Oven*?

Hiliarious material, albeit in a juvenile way.

*Dutch Oven - Basically letting a good fart rip in bed with your partner, then pulling the covers over her head to let the smell disipitate accordingly.

Comment

nice bump, didn't realise we had a thread like this

im currently reading loads of stuff for uni, but in between im trying to squeeze a bit of Haruki Murakami's 'Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world' in. i f-ing love Murakami, he makes the most mundane stuff (like cooking pasta) sound vibrant and relevent. i also like the plot thread that dissipate into nothing- just like real life there are no convienient plot twists.

I seriously recommend 'The wind-up bird chronicle', its a bit long, but a real page turner

Comment

Yeah, there are a bunch of Haruki readers on here. I'm trying to get my friends to read them - using exactly the two books you mention.

Comment

'The Riddle and the Knight' by Giles Milton - historical non-fiction, but a bloody good read. All of Milton's books are good, if you're into that kind of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X