No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm readig The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russel.

It's a massive book but it's really fascinating full of historical insight and philosophy itself but also some really great stories. I've read up to the pre-Socratics (early Greek philosophers) and I'm just now at the time of Socrates / Plato, and the rise of Sparta.

Here's one for fact fans: Spartan children were encouraged to steal from their peers, but if they were caught, they would be punished - not for theft, but stupidity

Comment

Currently reading this, and having to read certain paragraphs 2 - 3 times to fully understand what the hell im reading........... its so............ labourous!

Last edited by 112; 26-03-2007, 12:38.

Comment

I am now reading my reply to this thread as I am writing it.

Aside from this I read the the monthly publications of Amazing Spider-man, Sensational Spider-man, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man, Punisher and 100 Bullets. These titles can all be found at your local comicbook store.

In terms of magazines I read GamesTM, EDGE, Terrorizer & Bizzare.

I am currently not reading a traditionaly styled book or novel.
        The last I read, a couple of months ago, was entitled 'Big Bosoms and Square Jaws' -The Biography of Russ Meyer. It was cool.

Comment

"Generation X" - by Coupland - thought it was about time!
          Finished "JPod", which i thought was brilliant/funny - the plot wasn't the best, but i loved the culture - made it a pleasure to read.

Comment

I finished off Mus'unt Grumble, Terry Wogans autobiography, over Christmas and currently reading Clarksons & another thing.

Comment

Currently reading 'Easy Riders and Raging Bulls' by Peter Biskino

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                Got/read all of Terry Pratchetts books... Quite a good read, although he is a bit of a cock in real life. Allegedly.

*edit* Well, all of the discworld novels. Not any of the kids books/comic art books/discworld guides etc.

*edit 2* because that would be sad.
                See, thats where your wrong!

His childrens books are the best. Truckers, Diggers and Wings are possibly the most enjoyable books I've ever read. A pleasure! Have a go at those, you may be surprised!

Comment

I 'kin love Terry Pratchett. I used to be a literary critic (like that means I know anything about writing.. ) but, despite all the highbrow stuff I've read, he is one of my all-time favourite authors. He is a fantastic satirist and has as good an eye for human nature, in that quintessential provincial British way that we know and love, as anyone else I've ever read. Including all the 'big names'. In fact, I think he's one of the most likely English writers of the 20th Century to make it into school English classes by the time the end of the 21st rolls around.
                  Last edited by Eps; 16-01-2007, 03:24.

Comment

Now reading Robert Haris, Enigma. Thriller set around Bletchley Park and the Enigma machine funnily enough. Very good read. Also Wilbur Smith, The Triumph of the Sun.

Comment

I just finished Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, which is also set around the Enigma machine. Good stuff.

The History of Western Philosophy, mentioned above, is one I've been meaning to read for years.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                        See, thats where your wrong!

His childrens books are the best. Truckers, Diggers and Wings are possibly the most enjoyable books I've ever read. A pleasure! Have a go at those, you may be surprised!
                        Ahh.. I've read 'em. A bit 'meh', I enjoyed the Discworld ones more.. See what he churns out next, if it's a by the numbers one, he can shove it.

Anyone read a good horror book recently?

Comment

'el doublay postay

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                            Anyone read a good horror book recently?
                            I'm currently reading "I am Legend", by Richard Matheson (1954)... just started though, so I don't know how highly to recommend it. Certainly started off well in a zombie/vampire kind of way.

Oh, and it's being made into a film this year.

Comment

Im currently now starting a third book in a series of four, by Jasper Fforde!

The books read in order,

The Eyre Affair
                              Lost in a Good Book
                              The Well of Lost Plots
                              Something Rotten

I think they've been around for a couple of years, and were recommended reading by Amazon from previous books I've read.
                              I'm mainly a fiction, comedy, horror, crime etc fan.
                              I'm a HUGE fan of Robert Rankin, I have 12 of his hilarious books and would advise anyone of any age to pick them up and start reading.
                              They are basically the most random literature you'll ever read, but are all connected in some ridiculous way, be it characters or the setting.

I'd advise everyone to read at least one Robert Rankin book! serious laugh out loud funny

Comment

Dogs of Paradise by Abel Posse. It's an (I imagine fictionalised) account of Columbus and his discovery of America. It's one of the most erudite books I've ever read - have to keep the dictionary on standby. It's in translation from Spanish, and there are a lot of words in Italian, Spanish, German, Hebrew, Aztec and Mayan. Some I know, some I can guess at, and some I have not clue about, but their use really adds to the ambience. Pretty interesting reading about all the realities of exploration and court intrigue in those days, as well as Aztec/Incan society. Apparently the Aztecs had sailed as far as the Canaries years before Columbus got to America.

Comment

Working...
                                X