No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a book, per se, but I'm just reading Watchmen for the first time..... by the time I'd read the first five or so pages, I could tell that the hype and praise is well deserved.

Comment

Ted Dibease - The Million Dollar Man (with Tom Caiazzo)

One of the least interesting wrestling bios so far, purely because its not written by Ted so its very bio-by-numbers. I loved teh Foley, Edge and Jericho books most because they were written by the wrestlers and have their own personalities.

I'm still in the college phase at the moment though, so I am sure it will be way more interesting once the rasslin starts!

Comment

Finished 'The God of Small Things' last night. It was great for the most part, with some really funny moments. It should have been longer though.

Comment

Ive just finished tonight the Damned United a Fictional book about Brian Cloughs ill fated 44 days in charge of Leeds United.

Thoroughly enjoyed this and would highly recommended it to anyone with any interest in football just take it all with a pinch of salt .

Comment

It's been a while since I've read a propper book, but recently sped through reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi's Boys. I'm a huge fan of the author and I don't know why it's taken me this long to read it. It's a book I've brought twice, once in Hardback the day it came out and again on paperback to read while traveling last year. Finally got around to reading it this week and just as good as I was hoping. Quite a lot of funny moments and an intersting spin off from American Gods.

Next on the reading list Robert Harris' Pompeii. It's another book I brought on release based on liking his previous stuff but have yet to read.

Comment

At this moment in time i'm reading The Official Sega Magazine No.2. I like retro mags.

Last book i read was Wolf Of The Plains by Conn Iggulden and it was a great read. I'm a big fan of Conn Iggulden and really enjoyed the Emperor series, i couldn't put the books down. His portrayal of Julius Caesar in his early years was excellent and although the majority of it was fiction, quite a lot of it was fact. Gave me a real insight into life in the Roman times. The new series of which Wolf Of The Plains is the first book is about the life of Genghis Khan, the first book was a riveting read, much gorier than the Emperor series. I've just ordered the second book, and can't wait for it to arrive.

Comment

Just Finished Skinny Dip and The Catcher In The Rye. I really enjoyed TCITR, identified quite a lot with the main character, but most people of my age I meet nowadays share a lot of Holden Caulfield's emptiness and disillusionment. I guess it was a massive deal when it first came out but we're all a bit more savvy about this bull**** existence, these days(?) Beautiful writing, worth reading, but not quite 'The Bible for apathetic, potentially psychotic loners' I was expecting, you know, with Mark Chapman and John Lennon and whatnot.

Currently read the first few chapters of 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood, and I know it's gonna be good. It's quite thick, though, and I fancy a booky 'snack' inbetween.

I kind of want to read something quickly before I tackle that - I got Richard Kiel's/Jaws' autobiography, 'Making It Big In The Movies' for 10p from The Works earlier this year, and it's only like 190-odd pages long.

Anyone read it?

Comment

I'm having a bit of a Jane Austen fest at the mo, tempered with a little bit of Mein Kampf.

Comment

Stephen Baxter: Coalescent - Destiny's Children. Not sure so far. Not nearly as well written as Banks and sod all happening in the first 5 chapters.

Comment

Think this is the first time I've posted in this thread, and its a factual book as I never read fiction really.

Charlie Brooker 'Dawn of the Dumb' 'Dispatches from the idiotic frontline' .. its basically him just slagging off earth and all its contents .. awesome.

Comment

Finished Wuthering Heights a few days ago for the first time. I loved it. I didn't really have any idea as to how it'd end as I was going through, but it took me by surprise - in a good way.

Started A Fine Balance by R. Mistry last night. I heard it was quite a slow mover but a lot has happened so far and I'm only 100 pages in.

Comment

Just finished The Dice Man, best book in ages! Its written as though its a auto biography although its actually just fiction. Its about this psychiatrist who gets bored making decisions because he felt that he stopped him doing things that really he wanted to do because he was afraid of the consequences. So he decides to let the dice decide! Brilliant book, goes from funny to very very dark!

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                            Think this is the first time I've posted in this thread, and its a factual book as I never read fiction really.

Charlie Brooker 'Dawn of the Dumb' 'Dispatches from the idiotic frontline' .. its basically him just slagging off earth and all its contents .. awesome.
                            I've read this too Kernow. Brooker is a complete genius, I've been a devotee of his since TV go Home and still read his Comment is Free column.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjabearhug View Post

Last book i read was Wolf Of The Plains by Conn Iggulden and it was a great read. I'm a big fan of Conn Iggulden and really enjoyed the Emperor series, i couldn't put the books down. His portrayal of Julius Caesar in his early years was excellent and although the majority of it was fiction, quite a lot of it was fact. Gave me a real insight into life in the Roman times. The new series of which Wolf Of The Plains is the first book is about the life of Genghis Khan, the first book was a riveting read, much gorier than the Emperor series. I've just ordered the second book, and can't wait for it to arrive.
                              Wow - someone else who likes them. I picked up the third of the Emperor series to read on a plane a few years ago. The field of swords, that was called. As soon as it landed I went to get the rest of them.

I finished the second Ghenghis Khan one a few days ago. It's not quite as good as the first, but still a good read and obviously well researched into what the Mongols life was like. I went on holiday to Mongolia a couple of years back and stayed a few nights in gers.

Interested to know what you think of the second one when you get it.

Comment

I finished Oryx And Crake by Margaret Atwood earlier, what a book!

SERIOUSLY good f*ckin' book, I hate to say I was prejudiced by the 'female author' thing, but deep down I was, and I postponed reading this for yonks. I hate myself even more now.

It's all about this guy in a post-apocalyptic wasteland who looks after this tribe of genetically engineered 'correct humans' and you find out about his backstory, what actually happened, and there's lots of digs at pharmaceutical companies, eerily resonant theories on what could happen when all this gene-splicing ****e reaches its zenith, but at the end of it all, it's just a brilliantly written and visionary book, so many ideas going on but everything handled with a weird and vast aplomb.

Read the first 60 pages of The Life Of Pi afterward, and I can tell that that is going to be special, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X