No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We run a "Book Club" where we read a gaming related book once a month, and this month it is Bioshock Rapture, which I'm pleased to report is bloody excellent, and has convinced me to replay both of the Bioshock games!

Comment

@ Charlie: I was adding to toy's goofing around by implying that history's one true philosopher king was in fact the Philosoraptor, then gave photographic evidence which toy then proceeded to trump somewhat. You're not being thick, we were just being silly

Comment

ABC

If you're learning to read (like me) then I can't recommend this enough. It has pictures which correspond to the letters and is full of useful knowledge. Not finished it yet (only up to the letter P) but I already feel I've learnt so much. Top stuff.

Comment

Lords of Chaos: about the death metal scene in Norway - excellent book !!!.

Comment

A bit of a cheat, but I've been doing a lot of driving recently so I've been listening to the audiobook of Stephen King's The Stand, which I've been meaning to read for ages. I've started the first chapter about 4 times now!

Anyway, I absolutely loved it! I can see why it's held in such high regard.

I feared I'd only enjoy the first section where the virus wipes most people out, but found myself enjoying the second section just as much - even with the supernatural elements.

I actually found the final section my fave though. I actually cheered at some points and was really rooting for the three characters, quite emotional!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              ABC

If you're learning to read (like me) then I can't recommend this enough. It has pictures which correspond to the letters and is full of useful knowledge. Not finished it yet (only up to the letter P) but I already feel I've learnt so much. Top stuff.
              Read somewhere that they changed a bunch of characters in that.

Do they still have the Kissing cousins? Yay for teaching incest to little kiddies \o/

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              A bit of a cheat, but I've been doing a lot of driving recently so I've been listening to the audiobook of Stephen King's The Stand, which I've been meaning to read for ages. I've started the first chapter about 4 times now!

Anyway, I absolutely loved it! I can see why it's held in such high regard.

I feared I'd only enjoy the first section where the virus wipes most people out, but found myself enjoying the second section just as much - even with the supernatural elements.

I actually found the final section my fave though. I actually cheered at some points and was really rooting for the three characters, quite emotional!
              The Stand's definately one of King's best.

Would also recommend 'It' and The Shining if you want to try out more of his stuff.
              Last edited by abigsmurf; 05-09-2011, 12:15.

Comment

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! vol 30 is about to get started after reading vol 29 until 1.30am - the fight with Byakuran and the Real 6 Chouka is crazy.

Ah wait, this is manga not a read book.

Comment

I found the whole Akira volume 1-6 at our library, so I'm caning through that right now.

Awesome stuff, and takes a huge unbelievably large sweaty dump all over the condensed movie.

Comment

Akira finished. Holy **** on my balls what a ride!!

If anyone hasn't read it yet, stop being a **** and do so.

Comment

Eventually getting somewhere with Lord of the Ring. About 60 pages in and it's starting to go somewhere. Not saying it was dragging on at the start, just quite difficult.

Comment

I've just finished "Ready Player One", which I'm recommending to everybody that grew up playing games in the 80's, i.e. pretty much this entire forum. This book was written for you.

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, READY PLAYER ONE is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut—part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera set in a universe where spell-slinging mages battle giant Japanese robots, entire planets are inspired by Blade Runner, and flying DeLoreans achieve light speed.
                        It’s the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

An easy reading page-turning story, filled to the brim with obscure references.

Next up is Reamde by Neal Stephenson...

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                          Eventually getting somewhere with Lord of the Ring. About 60 pages in and it's starting to go somewhere. Not saying it was dragging on at the start, just quite difficult.
                          I'm reading those for the first time and there have been quite a few 'oh ffs' dragging bits, mainly descriptions of things I don't really mind about too much, like where this path goes or who peed on that tree over there in the Silmaril days.

I'm on Return of the King and I actually stopped reading it for the past month or so because I just kept falling asleep. It's picked up now finally but, my God, it was a bit of a trudge. Not sure if the films are to blame, though.

To be honest, I just want it over with because I bought some new books a few weeks ago and want to get started on them(Lord of the Flies, The Inheritors, Catch-22 and The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin, which was recommended by a mate). When I read books, I'm only really interested in the people, not the settings, so I tend not to pay attention to long descriptions of places.

Comment

I wasn't too fussed about LotR, tbh. Not just the movies spoiled it, but the entire generation of the olde English fantasy setting. Imagine reading it long before we had Warhammer/Warcraft/Gauntlet/Final Fantasy/Orcs/Elves/Wizards so prominent in our cultures though, that would have been immense.

Now it's absolutely everywhere and engrained in our minds and it's all a bit meh.

Not book related but I'm watching Game of Thrones. Same old setting, I hope the story picks up.
                            Last edited by dataDave; 16-09-2011, 02:25.

Comment

Don't know if it's okay to post comics but just going through the Knightfall Batman series again in anticipation of the new movie with Bane. It's a great read even though I've read it god knows how many times...

Comment

Reading Orbus by Neal Asher.
                                Kind of a strange book to get into after all his other novels as it is written in the present tense but it is good to see a risk is taken to make things fresh again. Good to see my favourite drone Sniper back in action

Comment

Working...
                                X