What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I had to check to see if this is the X-Files guy! (It's not)

Do you have to have read the previous books in the series?
    Not really but they are all good

Comment

Originally posted by Robster View Post
      Anything that suggests an alternate view so yup pretty much everything. Dont want to use the word conspiracy but I love stuff that makes you think and question things that you would have never thought would be interesting .
      Okay this book gives a mathematical case for the creation of Earth, the Moon and the Human race. It perked my interest because I believe that often the truth lies somewhere in the middle. So somewhere between Science and religion we may begin to explore alternative views. It is quite hard to read because of the math content (for me it was) but it very engaging and it will certainly present our solar system right down to our DNA in a different light (It is hard to find though):-

The next book as a broad subject range from Shakespeare being an alias for another name, so the plays were written by someone else. Freemasonary/Rocruisans/Secret Societies. Science vs the Church during the Renaissance. Check out the below link and the chapters, this book will take a long time if your into what it offers:-

Secret Teachings of All Ages

Comment

Very much appreciated Press Start, thanks.

I have the 2nd book by Manly P Hall and found it very hard going but very rewarding to read, some very alternate stuff in it and yes it makes you think.

I will check out the first book it looks good. I will rummage through my collection and see what I can recommend as it seems we have very similar tastes.

Edit: I have just looked at the amazon link and the version there is in colour and looks a bit easier on the eye.

I got my version from a site called forbidden texts or books, its a black and white print which looks like an exact scan of the original and put into print. Some text is missing and editors notes explain this I bought it about 4/5 years ago I think.
        Last edited by Robster; 24-08-2013, 20:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Robster View Post
          Very much appreciated Press Start, thanks.

I have the 2nd book by Manly P Hall and found it very hard going but very rewarding to read, some very alternate stuff in it and yes it makes you think.

I will check out the first book it looks good. I will rummage through my collection and see what I can recommend as it seems we have very similar tastes.

Edit: I have just looked at the amazon link and the version there is in colour and looks a bit easier on the eye.

I got my version from a site called forbidden texts or books, its a black and white print which looks like an exact scan of the original and put into print. Some text is missing and editors notes explain this I bought it about 4/5 years ago I think.
          Oh yeah this too. Very thought provoking

Here is a quick sample of his style:-

He speaks slowly which is some what refreshing. Do not be put off by the mediation suggestion, his views on mediation are not religious as you might have guessed.

Definitely a great thinker and challenger of the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
            I am reading this:-

This is a great book which topics range from Forbidden Archaeology, The untold history of art, AIDS: A Doctors note on the man made theory, The Coral Castle Code (check it out), Codex Alimentarius: Big Pharma vs Big Farmer,The Druids: Preisthood of the ancient world and one of my favs so far The King Arthur Conspiracy which tackles the question of the original Kings of Britain and the true resting place of King Arthur (Wales apparently).
            Arrived yesterday and I started it today on the commute to work, very good so far. I did not expect to see David Icke in the book - all very interesting and first time I have read any of his stuff. I have watched his live at Oxford Union before and loved the Global Conspiracy ideas then thought he lost the plot with all his reptillian and dimension theories.

Entertaining none the less.

Comment

If you need proof that the country is controlled by slimy, duplicitous, creepy, cold, reptilian kernts, then look no further than that double team of Cameron and Osborne. Vile ****s; I bet they eat live mice the moment the cameras are switched off.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                If you need proof that the country is controlled by slimy, duplicitous, creepy, cold, reptilian kernts, then look no further than that double team of Cameron and Osborne. Vile ****s; I bet they eat live mice the moment the cameras are switched off.
                They speak very highly of you too!!

Comment

Well you'd know, Tory Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
                    I gory crime fiction

5th book in a cracking series
                    Gave this a go the other week after you mentioned it. Story was decent with some horrible deaths in there but I felt the writing style was a bit too simple and clich?d for my tastes. Also what was with the super short chapters? I generally think chapter breaks are a good place to show a passing of time/change of location only in this they were thrown in all over and broke up conversations etc.

Comment

I really like the sound of Steelheart.

"Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.

But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics... nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. Steelheart has the strength of ten men and can control the elements. It is said no bullet can harm him, no sword can split his skin, no explosion can burn him. He is invincible.

For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge."

Comment

Hydrogen Sonata - Iain M Banks (his last book )

Comment

After seeing Looper and its ridiculous plothole-tastic storyline, I read a short story from a 1941 Astounding Science Fiction book called "By His Bootstraps" and where the concept of "bootstrap theory" originates when dealing with time travel in which something already exists without ever being created.

Basically, the premise is that Bob Wilson is locked away in his room trying to finish his graduate thesis on a mathematical aspect of metaphysics (like Kryss). He's interrupted by a man who appears behind him and claims he has come from the future through the floating time gate next to him.

The plot then follows what happens to Bob after he is sent through the time gate and the several time paradoxes that affect him once he does.

I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil what happens. It's fairly short and you can read it yourself online here:

Comment

Proper sci-fi story that one from the golden age, good find. Lately I've been reading lots of Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammet and some Mickey Spillane. Mike Hammer doesn't have the charm or wit of a Philip Marlowe or Samuel Spade but he certainly gets the job done!

Comment

Just finished "The Man Who Never Missed" and "Matadora" by Steve Perry. Part of the Matador series, pretty cool if, like me, you love sci fi and martial arts. Next up the "The Machiavelli Interface".

In the non-fiction world, am also reading "Inside the House of Money" by Steven Drobny. Which for me is great as I like the different perspectives offered by the different interviewees in the book. Anyone interested in the investment process should definitely read this.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                Hydrogen Sonata - Iain M Banks (his last book )
                                Not as good as Surface Detail, but still pretty good. My next scifi after that is the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton (currently on book 2) - recommended if you like Banks.

Comment

Working...
                                X