No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimp did you read steelheart ? If so what did you think? I have read and enjoyed most of Brandon Sandersons works, but this seems a little different to his usual stuff.

Will get round to reading it, but I am about half way through the drenai saga by David Gemmell atm.

Comment

Two on the go atm, The English Patient and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

Comment

I'm back on the Thomas Covenants after a few other books. On the Second Chronicles now. The first book was pretty good and the whole Sunbane idea is really great (basically a different sun every few days completely changes the landscape, like a fertile sun or a desert sun or pestilence sun). On the second book now and about a third of the way in and it is criminally dull. Overall I really like these Covenant books but they're so inconsistent.

Working my way towards the a Last Chronicles, which I have never read yet. The last book isn't even out.

Comment

Originally posted by wicky View Post
          Chimp did you read steelheart ? If so what did you think?
          I'm just reading it at the moment, Missy.

Intro chapter was brilliant, but the subsequent few chapters seemed a bit amateurish, maybe that's the nature of the narrator's naivety.

Still early days and the concept of rebels taking down an invincible supervillian is still an intriguing one.

I'll let you know my way thoughts after finishing it!

Comment

Read 'Manhattan in Reverse' recently - usual ace Peter F Hamilton fare.

Comment

I thought this might be of interest to some of you:

StoryBundle

The current bundle is The Thriller Bundle.

Pay a minimum of $3.00 for:

The Cerberus Protocol by Joseph Nassise and Jon F. Merz
              Nevermore by David Niall Wilson
              First Drop by Zo? Sharp
              Project Nemesis by Jeremy Robinson
              Black by Russell Blake
              Body Bags by Christopher Golden

Pay $6.00 or more for:

Ogmios - Omnibus Edition (Solomon's Seal, Lucifer's Machine and Wargod) by Steven Savile
              Lock & Load by Sean Black

I'm not familiar with any of these authors so I can't comment on the quality of the books on offer. If anyone has read any of these books or others by the same authors, I'd appreciate hearing your opinion of them.

Comment

I'm currently reading The Scar by China Mi?ville, the second novel in his Bas-Lag trilogy. It's basically fantasy, but not your typical, ordinary fantasy by any means.

The novel takes place for the most part, on an ocean floating city of "Armada" which is basically a huge pirate city, made up of hundreds of ships linked together by bridges and walkways with houses build on top of the whole thing. Excellent stuff, I really like Mi?ville's work.

Here's a picture of Armada by some talented artist:

Comment

Originally posted by wicky View Post
                  Chimp did you read steelheart ? If so what did you think? I have read and enjoyed most of Brandon Sandersons works, but this seems a little different to his usual stuff.
                  Just finished Steelheart!

Yes, I really enjoyed it in the end. It takes the concept of Superman, but makes him a total b@stard.

Steelheart is the supervillian who rules Newcago with an iron fist of terror and crushes all who oppose him because he's invulnerable... or is he?

My initial issue was the lead character's awful analogies, but it wasn't bad writing it's an ongoing joke throughout the book.

Sanderson manages to come up with some great characters, action sequences and fresh ideas with a story that had me guessing right to the end.

I'd love to hear what you think, Wicky!

Comment

Just finished the mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and that is a great story! I might check out that steelheart as it sounds interesting

Comment

I loved Mistborn - I also loved Way of Kings and Elantris by Sanderson too.

Will check out Steelheart once I have finished Gemmell's Drenai saga, loving the sound of the anti-superman thing

I usually find I really enjoy "magic systems" Sanderson comes up with.

Comment

Just finished reading The Circle by Dave Eggers, a new novel about a 23 year old who goes to work at a California tech firm that's a clear amalgam of Apple, Google, Facebook and Twitter. It's all sun and fun on the campus, but it seems like something sinister might be brewing behind all the posting of 'Smiles' and 'rezinging'.

Sadly it was rubbish. Ah well. Lots of commentary on the erosion of privacy via social media, which simultaneously stifles the book and fails to paper over the cracks of a plot which is at best hackneyed and at worst simply predictable.

Comment

Can any body here recommend me a decent crime/thriller book/series? I have a large collection of sci-fi with some fantasy and classic horror mixed in but the thriller genre has largely been ignored and I don't have a clue on what would be a good read!
                          Thanks in advance

Comment

For crime books you want to read through some Philip Marlowe stories by Raymond Chandler.

“It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”

“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                              Can any body here recommend me a decent crime/thriller book/series? I have a large collection of sci-fi with some fantasy and classic horror mixed in but the thriller genre has largely been ignored and I don't have a clue on what would be a good read!
                              My favourite crime series of all time is The Straw Men trilogy (Straw Men, Upright Man, Blood of Angels) by Michael Marshall - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Straw-Me...=the+straw+men

It's incredibly gritty and real, no silly stuff just because the main character is the main character.

Comment

And also for crime you can do no better than read through some Sherlock Holmes stories. The short stories are nice for a quick read and there are longer ones too.

Comment

Working...
                                X