Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION]: shame about the 3000. I had an A1500 but I peeled off the sticker (yeah underneath the sticker there was an A2000 badge) and tricked it out. I used it to make a record back in the day.
    I had a Picasso II and a GVP68030 with 50mb HD, Golden Gate II bridgeboard so I could have a PC ethernet NE2000 card. Had a CDROM drive, etc.

I used Bars and Pipes (about 200 quid - a lot of money in 1990 or 91, Music-X never made any sense to me) and a midi interface to control a Casio FZ1 sampling keyboard and a Korg S3 drum machine. Was ok at the time but I was on a knife edge, most of the equipment was 2nd hand and we needed more polyphony and multitimbrality to make it sound "thicker", but we just couldn't stretch to it.
    Good times though! Making music today at studio quality is in everyone's reach. The range of options probably makes it way harder to settle for anything. On my sampling keyboard I had about three floppy disks of bass guitars and probably only three of the instruments sounded good enough to use. Made choosing easier!
    Last edited by gunrock; 28-12-2018, 19:42.

Comment

Cool! Suspect this a2000 was a 1500 originally (2 floppies and a scsi card in it).
      Your music stuff sounds like where I wanted to be! I was a student so all I could afford was a used MT-32 and a cheap as chips keyboard that had midi on it.

The nostalgia is what’s driving this but if I enjoy enough and get back in then I could get some modern stuff and use VSTs in a pc I guess. Calvin Harris made his first album on an Amiga though so it’s obviously not necessary to use modern gear. My daughter’s Yamaha piano has proper weighted keys and velocity and stuff so will be a great input I think. My friend says he has a Juno synth he doesn’t want so that might be nice, otherwise I’m holding out for a JV1080

Comment

Ah, the JV1080! I had my eyes on that, back in the day. My daughter's Yamaha Ydp 142 has weighted keys and I didn't even know it had midi! I have not enough time and too many other interests to get back in these days.

Comment

I have had a Logitech wireless keyboard for a number of years; a K270. Probably 6 years, all told. This week, it finally developed a fault after daily use. No objections really; given the low price, it did well. I replaced it for another, as it seemed Logi were still selling the same model.

It's the same name, the same model, and looks identical, but with one difference - this one doesn't support Logitech's "unifying receiver" which I also use with my mouse. So I have to have 2 receivers plugged into the computer.

It's fiiiiine, I suppose, but it's an irk. Why do they still sell the K270 when the new version is not the same? Why not call it K275, or something?!

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]: brand and model recognition. Some focus group somewhere indicated that if it rang a vague bell, 13.27% more people would buy one. Probably.

Either that or the cost cutting drive from the COO's office reported that they saved 13.27% off of running costs by cutting down on trademark registration and increased reuse of marketing materials.
            Last edited by gunrock; 29-12-2018, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
              @Brad: shame about the 3000. I had an A1500 but I peeled off the sticker (yeah underneath the sticker there was an A2000 badge) and tricked it out. I used it to make a record back in the day.
              I had a Picasso II and a GVP68030 with 50mb HD, Golden Gate II bridgeboard so I could have a PC ethernet NE2000 card. Had a CDROM drive, etc.

I used Bars and Pipes (about 200 quid - a lot of money in 1990 or 91, Music-X never made any sense to me) and a midi interface to control a Casio FZ1 sampling keyboard and a Korg S3 drum machine. Was ok at the time but I was on a knife edge, most of the equipment was 2nd hand and we needed more polyphony and multitimbrality to make it sound "thicker", but we just couldn't stretch to it.
              Good times though! Making music today at studio quality is in everyone's reach. The range of options probably makes it way harder to settle for anything. On my sampling keyboard I had about three floppy disks of bass guitars and probably only three of the instruments sounded good enough to use. Made choosing easier!
              Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Cool! Suspect this a2000 was a 1500 originally (2 floppies and a scsi card in it).
              Your music stuff sounds like where I wanted to be! I was a student so all I could afford was a used MT-32 and a cheap as chips keyboard that had midi on it.

The nostalgia is what’s driving this but if I enjoy enough and get back in then I could get some modern stuff and use VSTs in a pc I guess. Calvin Harris made his first album on an Amiga though so it’s obviously not necessary to use modern gear. My daughter’s Yamaha piano has proper weighted keys and velocity and stuff so will be a great input I think. My friend says he has a Juno synth he doesn’t want so that might be nice, otherwise I’m holding out for a JV1080
              Originally posted by gunrock View Post
              Ah, the JV1080! I had my eyes on that, back in the day. My daughter's Yamaha Ydp 142 has weighted keys and I didn't even know it had midi! I have not enough time and too many other interests to get back in these days.
              Get a room, nerds.

Comment

[MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION]: fair cop!

Comment

Clicked on an Imgur link.

1 hour later...

Comment

Looking at DACs for my PC currently. Considering what they do the variety in pricing quickly makes you lose perspective, though I suppose that’s true of most audio equipment. Just picked up a refurbished integrated amplifier and NOS speakers to the tune of £165 and looking at this one DAC at $170 as if that’s a good purchase lol. Probably just going to get something real cheap in the end, just want to remove the audio source from my desktop PC.

Comment

New Year's Eve.

I struggle to explain why but all this "new year, new me" fluff really winds me up.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        New Year's Eve.

I struggle to explain why but all this "new year, new me" fluff really winds me up.
                        It's quite premature, isn't it?

I'd rather wait a week before wishing people a happy new year!!!1111!!!!!!one!!

Heck, let's wait 3 months this year before wishing everyone a happy new year

Comment

HNY chicken? I'm game for that.

Comment

Bad chest infection all over Christmas & in bed by 9pm last night. Itle pass but it gets on my tits that it, of course, came on over Christmas where I’ve finally taken a few days off to relax and get some gaming in.

Total waste of my days off 🤬

Comment

Tired, sore and back at work tomorrow.

Comment

Insomnia, the same ear piercing shed alarm going off and on all night including right this very second.

Tomorrow's going to be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X