No announcement yet.

The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna start officially looking at cars this weekend as mine needs to go. I bloody love our '08 Nissan micra but its starting to show its age despite its low-ish mileage so off to see what the current Micras look like this weekend.

I'm dreading sorting out a new car and worrying about it more than being excited about the idea of getting a much newer car around 4 years old max. I'm starting with looking at what Nissan has to offer as I have had a good history with them but ideally wants something with perhaps a tiny bit more space (for camping stuff) and maybe a bit more powerful. Not determined for a nissan but I have to start looking somewhere.

We have been putting off getting a car for the last 5 years as we were hoping to be on the property ladder by then and were considering an electric but neither of that is likely to happen anytime soon now so I've just got to bite the bullet and get one in the next few months.

REALLY dreading sorting out the parking permit, as it will not only be different cars but in different names so not a simple switchover. Urgh!

Comment

Anyone can suggest a dashcam app for Android? Looking for at least 1080p30 unlimited recording (well, as long as battery/storage space last). Automated cloud upload would be marvellous.

Comment

Is this to use your actual phone as the dashcam? I’ve looked at a few of these apps for iPhone but all of them seemed totally unreliable from the reviews so just got a cheap stand alone unit for the windscreen.

Comment

More or less the same situation I'm in. Did a small research and between all those top10s & top5s there's no common app, and a lot sounded like advertisment for one specific app.
          I don't really want to buy a dashcam as I just want to record while I'm driving in Japan, the traffic over here isn't crazy enough to justify having a dashcam always active.

Comment

Looking at the ios store this one seems to have popped up and gets mostly good impressions, not sure if it’s on android.

‎Driver is here to ensure you’re taken care of on the road. Driver offers a fully connected driving experience through our Cloud + App platform, covering liability protection, roadside services, claims assistance, speedometer, driver education, legal and vehicle support, partner deals, and more. The…

Comment

Having some consideration to do.

I've had my BMW M2 Competition for 2 years now and although it's epic and I've had some amazing drives with it, honestly, I'm just not using it day to day. It's just sailed through it's 1st major service and passed but the bills for warranty and services have come through and before I splash out, it gave me food for thought of is it all worth it?

So I'm looking at battery cars and despite the clear dominance of its range and charging network of the Tesla Model 3's, they literally do nothing for me and they tip over £50K in the UK. The Polestar 2 is much better but the size of the ****er, the price and the feel for someone like me who loves cars and motorsport just isn't there. The Honda E is a beautiful little car and I've admired them since their release, but the range is a bit small but I adore the design so much.

However, I've just seen Jonny's review of the new Abarth Fiat 500e and it ticks a lot of boxes for me. The range is perfect for what I actually use my car for, the styling is good and despite the daft noise generator, you can turn it off in the Settings so the argument against it is null.

I've surprised myself by just how much I like it and although the performance will disappoint after the M2 Competition, I just can't deploy all the power on the road anyway. The 500e reminds me of my dear, departed Fiesta ST-3 from 5 years ago which I loved, but with 50bhp less but an EV powertrain to use and enjoy.

Hmm, decisions!

Comment

Are you changing career to a hair dresser as well Wools? If so then go for it.

But honestly, that looks like an absolute s*** box, stick with your BMW.

Comment

I hired a normal 500. It was fun to drive.

I need the turbo refurbished and new PAS pump.

Comment

Never warmed to the 500, I just can't shake the Nissan Micra from my mind when I see it

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      I hired a normal 500. It was fun to drive.

Bums. I need new disks, pads, stainless lines, service.

Need that like a whole in the head right now but it has to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        Are you changing career to a hair dresser as well Wools? If so then go for it.

But honestly, that looks like an absolute s*** box, stick with your BMW.
                        Oh mate. Jeremy Clarkson just called, he wants his insult back.

I know what you mean but the same lazy insult can be made for the MX-5 and you'll be missing out on a great car because you're sensitive about looking even slightly feminine, as you're driving a great looking car. After several years in BMW's with arches as swollen as Schwarzenegger's neck, I'm quite up for something smaller and prettier.

Did you watch Jonny's video above or just dismissed it based on the thumbnail? If the latter, then give the review a chance with an open mind.

I've booked in a drive this weekend, if it's a ****box, I'll shout!

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Ouch, looking like a big bill or okay?

Comment

So we are downsizing, moving out of big country house and into a flat in town so won't need the AWD diesel Volvo anymore. Need something small ish, but not too small basically. Should I be looking at electric, plug in hybrid, hybrid petrol or something else? Thanks car nerds!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                            Oh mate. Jeremy Clarkson just called, he wants his insult back.

I know what you mean but the same lazy insult can be made for the MX-5 and you'll be missing out on a great car because you're sensitive about looking even slightly feminine, as you're driving a great looking car. After several years in BMW's with arches as swollen as Schwarzenegger's neck, I'm quite up for something smaller and prettier.

Did you watch Jonny's video above or just dismissed it based on the thumbnail? If the latter, then give the review a chance with an open mind.

I've booked in a drive this weekend, if it's a ****box, I'll shout!

Ouch, looking like a big bill or okay?
                            Honestly didn't know that was something clarkson said as I've watched probably 5 episodes of topgear, i feel a bit dirty now having quoted him.

But on a serious note i wouldn't touch anything with a fiat badge on it, maybe a particularly well looked after petrol 500Abath with all the trimmings that was absolutely pristine and had a full service by a reputable garage, they have a lovely exhaust note on them ill give them that.

But an electric 500? really?

Comment

Off to test the Model S Plaid this weekend. You're not allowed into Germany with them, so at least that saves me from ****ting myself.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                But an electric 500? really?
                                Watch the Late Brake video above, it impressed me and it might change your mind to.

Comment

Working...
                                X