This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
    My first thought was that someone in the cabinet has a new girlfriend/boyfriend they want to see without causing Cummings-like controversy. Possibly Johnson himself given his history.

As a single person living alone, this doesn't really make much difference to me. I don't expect any of my friends to single me out as their "special visitor" and I'm not going to visit my 70 year-old parents' house for fear of giving them something. A lot of other people I know who aren't in living with their partners share with another friend, so you can imagine the arguments there as to which one gets to have their girlfriend/boyfriend over. I know one couple who both live alone, but I think they might have been seeing each other anyway!
    I’m not up on dating apps but, if I owned Tinder, I’d already have rolled out an update to help you find your “special visitor” just for the duration of this phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Faster, because the Tories will have wiped out the 70+ generations by then
      Isn't this half of their voters?

Comment

Yup, the price Johnson will pay for blindly following a man who isn't even a Tory himself

Comment

UK death toll rises by 151 to 41,279; Test and trace scheme ‘not gold standard’ yet, but will improve, says Dido Harding; urgent cancer referrals in England fell by 60% in first month of lockdown

Nigel Farage and LBC are cutting ties

And a review of Universal Basic Income in Scotland has found the concept to be favourable, though not one it can pursue without the UK Governments support.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ule-in-england
            Nigel Farage and LBC are cutting ties

And a review of Universal Basic Income in Scotland has found the concept to be favourable, though not one it can pursue without the UK Governments support.
            So... Never gunna happen then.

Comment

Gove says the Government has formally informed the EU there will be no request to extend the transition period despite COVID. He said that it would be reckless to extend it just as the economy was recovering from the virus - pretty much completely ignoring the second wave and lack of a vaccine

GDP fell 20.4% in April

Comment

So the gamble is, it's better to plough ahead on a barefaced lie about the economy now recovering in order to try to save face with the more demented portions of the Brexelectorate, rather than taking pragmatic steps to mitigate real socio-economic pandemonium.

Comment

Seems more like the plan is to plough ahead and blame any Brexit issues on Covid-19 instead.

Comment

They don't care about the Brexit voters, it's still just about trying to cash out with their personal backhand deals etc and leave the next generation with the bill and the aftermath

Comment

They know the economy will crash due to Brexit. But Covid19 has already caused a crash, so they can drive head on into no deal brexit with no ****s given now.

Comment

Oh they do care about the Brexit voters. People don’t like to be wrong and they especially don’t like to admit they’re wrong. That’s why the tories still have people defending them; the Brexit voters. Boris and co were the champions of Brexit so to call them out on all their current lies and incompetence is to in some way admit that these are piece of **** human beings and therefore call into question the whole of Brexit.

Comment

In a way the utter car crash that the inevitable no deal will be, combined with the catastrophic mishandling of COVID will at least result in one good thing - the Tories will be out of power for a very long time. It's just too bad we have to suffer four more years of these psychopaths. What will be left of the country by then won't amount to much.

At least the US only has a few month to go before they can eject their own far right moron from high office. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the "populists".

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                            Totally agree on the violence against the police. However, tearing down that statue was justified as the council should have had it removed it years ago and installed in a permanent display about slavery in a museum in Bristol.
                            There should be no place for a memorial to a slave trader whose company branded human beings and sold them into slavery.
                            https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...atter-protests
                            The way I see it violence is a line which must never be crossed. It's a one way journey, there's no coming back, no forgiveness, it's the ultimate red line. Those responsible must spend a very, very long time in jail.

As for the statues, people should have elected who those promised to remove them, and run completely peaceful, non destructive campaigns. If ultimately they don't get what they want and the local authorities opt to keep the statues then that's just the way it goes, tough luck. People don't always get what they want. Look Brexit for goodness' sake, we're all told we have to accept it despite the economic carnage it is causing.

Comment

I was out at the weekend and saw a whole bunch of groups of kids clearly not social distancing. Overall here, I feel like people where I am have been pretty good although our numbers ended up getting bad (retirement homes got hammered and clearly there weren't preparations or systems put in place). But the narrative of reopening has created a feeling of "it's all over" when in fact it is very far from over. And we did get our numbers right down in lockdown to a very significant degree with daily new cases going down to single digits on many days. And yet what was the point of that if everyone just goes out now and gets infected? May as well have done what we liked for the last few months if that would be the outcome.

Doesn't seem like it's just Ireland either. There does seem to be a feeling of just throwing away the progress that was made over the last couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                I was out at the weekend and saw a whole bunch of groups of kids clearly not social distancing. Overall here, I feel like people where I am have been pretty good although our numbers ended up getting bad (retirement homes got hammered and clearly there weren't preparations or systems put in place). But the narrative of reopening has created a feeling of "it's all over" when in fact it is very far from over. And we did get our numbers right down in lockdown to a very significant degree with daily new cases going down to single digits on many days. And yet what was the point of that if everyone just goes out now and gets infected? May as well have done what we liked for the last few months if that would be the outcome.

Doesn't seem like it's just Ireland either. There does seem to be a feeling of just throwing away the progress that was made over the last couple of months.
                                The government has done a pretty terrible job of late in regards to making the public take this seriously and with the cummings fiasco has lost all its credibility. It really dose feel like boris and co have taken a massive step back in a very obvious ploy to remove them form scrutiny.

It all feels like a game at the moment the reopening of shops the dithering over distancing and masks, but none of that really matters as The BLM marches and statue counter protests have taken over the news feeds. I bet Cummings and Boris are rubbing there hands with glee as it gives them a get out and takes the spotlight off their current failings. If in two weeks time we see a massive uptick in case again it wont be anything they have or haven't done it will be the protesters faults for not following distancing measures.
                                Last edited by Lebowski; 16-06-2020, 10:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X