No announcement yet.

CoronaWatch 2019 - 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter was due to go back Monday but since there is only one person left in y11 who hasn't got it or isn't isolating the school has told them all to stay home for another week.

So, that's now seven weeks off since September.

Her mocks have been great so far and her predicted grades, but like a lot of students in year 11 across the country and in particular in the NW she feels that exams are a bit much and is hoping they get canx just like in Scotland and Wales.
    Last edited by Anpanman; 13-11-2020, 14:23.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      I've been invited to be part of a Covid-19 vaccine trial in my local authority (or at least, be considered to be part of it if I'm reading the text from NHS right - don't think if you sign up you're actually going to be part of the trial).

Unsure whether to sign-up to it or not, I'd say 70:30 towards doing so.
      100% not going to sign-up after getting the info through.

The study is over 12 months following the 2nd injection, you have to attend about 8 appointments in that period, more if you still catch Covid-19, but that's not the big problem.

You could end up with a placebo as it's a double-blind study and you wouldn't automatically be eligible for a genuine vaccine should one become available during the trial (possible you could withdraw from the trial, but no guarantees that mean you'd be able to get the real vaccine even then).

I don't want to be in the position of there being a working vaccine and being unable to get it whilst walking about with only a saline antidote.

Comment

I tested positive just over three weeks ago; to cut a long story short, it has been a horrible experience with almost constant fatigue and shortness of breath. I honestly wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Just to put a cherry on top of the whole sundae, I received an email late this afternoon informing me that a job that I had applied for (just a week before the first lockdown, believe it or not) had officially been cancelled. I am devastated as I really wanted the job and I was just starting to get back on my feet after two redundancies in 2019.

Anyway, enough of the gloom! I hope that everyone on the forum stays safe and has an eye on Christmas and a better life with the new year; that's my new outlook, for what it's worth.

Comment

Hope you have a swift recovery bud.

Comment

Very fortunately tests for the missus and Jr1 came back negative so just the one day of school missed.

It's really wound the missus up though, she's been worried mainly about if he had it and it's really wormed out the members of the family who still don't give a toss about COVID even if she or our 5yr old had caught it. Massive indifference from some quarters which will be returned in kind when they're next ill or stressing about themselves

Comment

I've been working from home for 4 out of 5 working days, but a colleague has tested positive which has knocked almost everyone else out of the office also (presumably until they get a negative result?) meaning I have to go into work...

...and sit at my infected colleague's desk and use his office equipment.

Wondering what I should bring in to clean it with - bleach? A sandblaster? Maybe just have it all lowered into a drum of sulphuric acid until it's all gone.

Comment

Nuke the entire site from orbit (It's the only way to be sure).

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                  I've been working from home for 4 out of 5 working days, but a colleague has tested positive which has knocked almost everyone else out of the office also (presumably until they get a negative result?) meaning I have to go into work...

Wondering what I should bring in to clean it with - bleach? A sandblaster? Maybe just have it all lowered into a drum of sulphuric acid until it's all gone.
                  "How long does the virus that causes COVID-19 last on surfaces?

Recent research evaluated the survival of the COVID-19 virus on different surfaces and reported that the virus can remain viable for up to 72 hours on plastic and stainless steel, up to four hours on copper, and up to 24 hours on cardboard. (7 Apr 2020)"

COVID-19 and food safety: guidance for food businesses

Comment

Spray everything with alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                      Spray everything with alcohol.
                      I do that anyway, I'm from the North.

Comment

First I would have thought your employer would have done a deep clean of the office or at least your co-workers desk.

When our daughter came home to iso after sitting next to an infected student and sharing calculators and other stationary bits and bobs. After she was using my monitor and keyboard/mouse in the evenings I just used a soapy cloth to wipe down the bits and desk.

Comment

Supposedly we have an extensive daily cleaning regime where all desks and equipment are thoroughly disinfected, but last time I came in there were a load of coffee mug stains and crumbs on the desk - so I don't trust them at all to have done what you're meant to do!

Comment

Oops, not good. No wonder you asked for some advice, probably time to fill up on the alcohol wipes, or spray the desk with a shed load of Hai Karate, Old Spice or Aramis - I mean you are from the North, none of that fancy pants aftershave for us.

Comment

I've only got half a bottle of Hai Karate left and I'm saving it for my wedding. I think I've got some cherry brandy in the car, that'll probably do it.

Comment

I've been looking at the data for the Pfizer's vaccine - I'm not entirely sure that the way the media is presenting it is accurate, i.e., that if you have the vaccine there's only a 5% chance you'll catch it.

What the data shows is that of those participants in the trial who still caught Covid-19, 95% were in the placebo group and 5% had the vaccine - but that's not directly comparing like with like. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's definitely 95% effective, but maybe that's how all the pharmaceutical companies measure it (IDK, tho it does seem Ptizer itself is putting the figure out there).

You could only say it was 95% effective if everyone in the trial mixed with the same people, in other words they all had the exact same risk of catching Covid, otherwise there are simply too many variables to factor in to definitively say it's 95% protective. The 90%+ claim definitely comes with a big caveat attached given the randomness involved.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that the only way you could be sure is if you purposely exposed everyone to the virus in the two groups.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 18-11-2020, 18:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X