No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't noticed panic buying here at the moment (other than the usual Christmas dash), but based on previous experience just go to international supermarkets. The thickos who empty the normal supermarkets don't really go to them and as a result they had plenty of toilet roll, bread, flour, etc. No queues either.

Comment

Damn, that's a lot of twatter time there. As to the content...fully vindicates my decision to avoid engaging with any such crap (social media).

Now, weeks, months, years of grumbling ahead.
      Crankie already teeing up indyref2 (English hating scumbag that she is).
      Covid.
      Recession.

The fun times keep on rolling.

Anyhoo

Merry Christmas everyone, be well and stay safe!

Comment

It's official, the trade deal is agreed. It may be over two years and two prime ministers late as well as taking longer than we were at war in WWI but we dragged our soveriegn corpse over the line in the 11th hour.

Comment

That's a good result, all things considered. I mean, it's still a shame it's happening at all but this is far, far preferable for everyone to the chaos of a no deal Brexit. I'm really bored with the bull**** of Johnson now though. He's an idiot and a Trump lite and even his description of the deal versus the EU's own words is very telling of the type of person he is. He sounds like a child among adults. I wouldn't trust him for a moment.

Comment

Do we know what any of the details are of this deal? Is it actually worth the time it's taken?

Comment

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

39,000 new cases again today

As for the deal, sounds like it will please no-one which is probably the best outcome considering the last 4-5 years

Comment

Yep. There was no such thing as a good Brexit. So a deal that pleases nobody is still better than no deal. And from what I’m gathering, although I’m struggling to find all the details, it’s better than I would have expected for everyone especially when it comes to the lack of tariffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  That's a good result, all things considered. I mean, it's still a shame it's happening at all but this is far, far preferable for everyone to the chaos of a no deal Brexit.
                  It's barely different from No Deal in reality, the main positive is that there won't be tariffs or quotas applied on imports/exports (well unless the UK breaches the agreement in the future), but given the UK won't be part of the EEA, you don't want to be a company trying to sell services into the EU or a company in the UK relying on JIT imports.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 24-12-2020, 18:02.

Comment

Johnny Depp enters the appeal process but if I'm reading it right is mostly objecting to the wording of the final ruling meaning by the definition of the case he's still very likely to lose the appeal too.

Comment

Some of Labour still not getting the reality of the situation they're in

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lt-brexit-deal
                        Some of Labour still not getting the reality of the situation they're in
                        They are in a difficult spot. It's probably a bad deal, and it's a tory one. So Labour MPs feel they should oppose it (by default). However, it needs to go through by the end of the week.

Comment

And the Tory majority means their vote is meaningless.
                          It is a bad deal, they should not support it. An abstention would be the right thing to do.

Comment

There is no good deal. There never was a good deal. It does not exist. So as they have said, it’s this or no deal and this is definitely better than no deal. They should be raking the Tories over the coals forever on this one but they can’t look like they are endorsing a no deal Brexit. It’s a no win situation but a deal is a slightly lesser loss.

Comment

Yep, ifs bad deal of no deal and any of Labour rejecting the deal will be seen as supporting the latter. There's no pretending that any of the objectors will represent an amazing deal that might have been and instead just continue to make the party look out of touch especially when this very issue at the last election provdd definitively that most voters don't side with them. Starmar is right again with this one, secure the deal and draw a line under it ro move things on to the next issue where a chance still remains of eroding the tory lead

Comment

I am in Starmer's seat and helped run his re-election in 2019 - he is a bright guy with an awareness of what it means. I object and he still needs people like me (not necessarily me) to actually volunteer and help the ground game. I'm honestly not sure I have it in me to pretend that this lack of push back on brexit, and the underlying culture and messaging beneath it of blaming foreigners, is alright with me. In order to appease some old racists in Northern seats that Labour MPs were fine with appeasing (per some internal speeches and commentary) for their votes over the last few decades.

Comment

Working...
                                X