No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst part is that for days to come these figure rises will still mostly be from the pre-mingle Xmas Day period.

Comment

I'd just like to mention that - news largely being London-based - it's surprising how far the figures have fallen in some areas. I looked up Yorkshire and Humber and we are all the way down to 190.3 per 100K, now second only to the South West.

While I'm certain the situation in London will lead to calls for some kind of super-lockdown, I'd like to hope that it is done on a case-by-case basis and not applied nationally including to areas that have already had lengthy lockdowns and substantial restrictions (you haven't been able to meet indoors here since July). It'll be irritating if the "your tier is not your destiny" message turns out to be a complete lie.

Comment

Here in Ireland, I think we hit our record number of new cases today since the pandemic began... and yet still that figure is lower than just the six counties of Northern Ireland.

Comment

So the Oxford Vaccine is now approved & seems they are set to start rolling it out next week

Not as strong as the Pfizer one at around 70% but a single dose & 100,000,000 doses on order

Sounds promising at last
          Now they just need to start vaccinating the right way & doing teens & teachers first.

Leave the elderly & care home residents until later...get the teenage super spreaders sorted now

Neil

Comment

Starmar says Labour won't pursue major changes in the UK's relationship with the EU

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
              So the Oxford Vaccine is now approved & seems they are set to start rolling it out next week

Not as strong as the Pfizer one at around 70% but a single dose & 100,000,000 doses on order

Sounds promising at last

Now they just need to start vaccinating the right way & doing teens & teachers first.

Leave the elderly & care home residents until later...get the teenage super spreaders sorted now

Neil
              It’s 64% after the second dose and you need two doses. After your first dose you get a second 12 weeks later instead of 2 weeks later as previously planned.

Comment

That doesn’t sound like a great result.

Comment

I dont get how the trials work. The volunteers weren't exposed to the virus, just told to live their daily lives. The fact that some people with the vaccine still got covid, when there is a 1% chance of getting it with no vaccine, is confusing to me. Does it even work?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                    It’s 64% after the second dose and you need two doses. After your first dose you get a second 12 weeks later instead of 2 weeks later as previously planned.
                    Sorry just read the second dose bit was sure I'd heard this morning it was a single dose job

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      It is a great day for U.K. science apparently.

I’ll still take a second best vaccine but I do not like the spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        The vaccine doesn't have to be 100% effective to reduce cases, but the lower that effectiveness is, the more people need to be vaccinated to have the same reduction in cases.

At 60% effectiveness, you need 75% of the population to be vaccinated to get a 97% reduction in cases, at 70%, having 75% vaccinated gets you a 100% reduction. However, that chart was calculated on the C-19 strain that was less infective - the higher the R0 rate, the more effective the vaccine needs to be and the more people need to have been vaccinated to see the same reduction.

The R0 was estimated at 2.63, the new more infectious strain is estimated to be 70% more effective at spreading, meaning R0 is 4.71 - what I don't know is how that scales the chart.

Still, the UK vaccine is cheap per dose.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 30-12-2020, 12:28.

Comment

Great! Glad we are saving money on VACCINES. Seriously, what is another billion at this point?

Comment

The biggest perk is the storage capabilities, far more people can be vaccinated with this one rather than the others so in a way it's just as if not more effective than its rivals

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                              Great! Glad we are saving money on VACCINES. Seriously, what is another billion at this point?
                              It's not just that though is it...it's easier to store, has a longer shelf life & I'm guessing can be produced quicker

What they need to do is make it a compulsory jab & everyone has to have it like they did smallpox back in the day & then produce a health card that you Carry to prove it's been done

Neil

Comment

I suspect it is more by coincidence than design, but it is not surprising that the Austerity Britain vaccine is both the cheapest and by far the least effective of any available offering. All we need now is for the rollout to be administered by some lousy outsourcing firm for a backhander, which I suspect is in the post as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X