United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Yeah; though I don't want to demonise "young people" over it when we're talking "people under 50".

Kids have just gone back to school. Let's see where things are in a month.
    It's not about 'demonising' anyone, though the facts as I see them are that the spreading and such is from the younger people not distancing etc and over the past few weeks when me and the wife have been out shopping it's the younger ones who aren't doing as they are told/advised.
    This morning we counted three in Morrison's and two in Sainsbury's not wearing masks and all under 30.

It's seemingly the opposite to the start of all this when the young ones were doing it right and people my age and over weren't taking care, we certainly didn't wear masks until the rules changed but when they did we've been donning them religiously.

Comment

Government legal department head resigns 'following dispute with No 10 over plan to override withdrawal agreement'

Seems that the government is planning on going ahead with the trashing of the withdrawal bill (and with it the Good Friday Agreement), given the head of the legal department thinks it's stupid and resigned.

Comment

Better general treatment as well as increasing understanding of critical cases helps too. (re Marty question)

Huge respect to all the medical professionals.

Hopefully the hospital / death figures continue going down. (A London based Dr I know told me his hospital is pretty much back to pre-Covid function right now...hopeful it will stay that way...suspects it won't...)

Comment

Certainly another factor, although I suspect less of an infuence given the global rate isn't following the same pattern.

Of the closed cases, you're still looking at a 4% mortality rate

20,507,886 Cases which had an outcome:
          19,610,415 (96%) Recovered / Discharged
          897,471 (4%) Deaths

This is easily going to surpass a million deaths before it's over.
          Last edited by MartyG; 08-09-2020, 12:10.

Comment

Oh, just realised it was Asura question not Marty haha!

Anyway, once you start to drill down into the detail behind global death figures, it starts to get very muddled very quickly, such that one graph is pretty unhelpful really (imo), other than for quick headline figures.

(Also, I was addressing a question about UK hospital / death figures, so really the global death figure is irrelevant. Apologies for not being clear on that.)

Anecdotally (so just from chatting with people close to the action, no data driven figures), the treatment in the UK is vastly improved since March / April time. If I were to catch a bad case now there are plenty of countries I wouldn't want to be treated in, but that list was far shorter earlier in the year.

Edit - I agree, sadly, that we will see a million+ deaths, if we haven't already exceeded that grim milestone.

I'm also leaning more and more towards the 'this is going to be with us for a long time, we're going to have to get used to it' way of thinking. Our general record on vaccinations for coronaviruses is not good, and I'm hearing more pessimistic feelings than before from people who know a lot more about this than I do.
            Last edited by wheelaa; 08-09-2020, 12:42.

Comment

Given the general handling, I'll hope you'll excuse me if I don't believe for a second that the UK has some wonderful treatments that the rest of the world don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                Oh, just realised it was Asura question not Marty haha!
                It's because Asura had the audacity to post a question using graphs, which is Marty's trademark sweet style!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  It's because Asura had the audacity to post a question using graphs, which is Marty's trademark sweet style!
                  ChartyG in the house!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    ChartyG in the house!
                    I heard a rumour that he was disappointed when the SixAxis turned out to be a gamepad.

Comment

Government admits the new bill will break international law

The trouble with the virus is I think it's entirely correct to think it's going to be with us and so we need to get used to it but the trouble is that for most it seems that getting used to it and plugging means 'getting used to it and getting on with the old normal ways as much as possible'

Really, it's 'going to be with us long term and we need to get on with doing things the new normal way' that needs to happen and drill into people. Pub industry collapse? Less abroad travel? Permanent working from home? Full lockdown through the winter to reestablish control? etc Tough. The old normal is dead and the sooner people accept it and adapt then the sooner the bodies and suffering of the vulnerable will ease up - and most critically - the sooner things will become more like normal. It's all the attempts to shortcut to a desired outcome that are dragging it out much more and increasing the impact.

Basically:

"We can't do X or Y because of the economy"

"Wrong!"

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ernational-law
                        Government admits the new bill will break international law
                        They know people in other countries can see this stuff, right?

As for the virus being with us a long time, yep, you're exactly right. Although a country could eliminate it if it had the will to do so. You can't catch it from nobody so, if you did complete full-on lockdown and actually committed to it, you could stop it outright and get at least the people in your country back to a real state of normal afterwards. The will is simply not there. So instead, yes, there is a sense of 'live with it', even though that is a choice and living with it without actually changing your way of life means more infection, more sickness, more death and a slow chronic crush of the economy in that long, drawn out process.

Comment

Yep, the Government rigged the statistics in their favour on deaths weeks ago.
                          I rarely stick up for this Government currently, but I will note here that the way the Government now reports deaths is in line with how Wales, Scotland and Ireland were reporting them from the very start. Only deaths within a month of testing positive.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Which just seems even more insane. Can you imagine if someone who died of cancer wasn't recorded as such because they had the audacity to live a month longer than the doctor had given them? I genuinely wonder what the basis of that measure is that they've decided to run with it on

Comment

I genuinely wonder what the basis of that measure is that they've decided to run with it on
                              It produces lower headline figures?

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I heard a rumour that he was disappointed when the SixAxis turned out to be a gamepad.
                              I never really trusted Phil Harrison
                              Last edited by MartyG; 08-09-2020, 15:15.

Comment

Genuine questions...are people on ventilators / those seriously ill, only tested once, so if they do stay alive for over 28 days from that test and then pass away on day 29+, they would not be counted?

Or are people on ventilators / those seriously ill continually tested, be that a standard covid test, or other sort of medical / treatment related test that confirms the presence of Covid and refreshes the 28 day period?

Comment

Working...
                                X