United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    That's a whole lot of speculation for a single sentence.
    Can't go into a whole of specifics, but this comes from people who work together with my missus who are currently doing COVID research for testing/vaccines. Speculation, yes there's some of that, but they will likely have the clearest idea of what may transpire. I think we can all agree that a second wave is almost certain to happen, already happening elsewhere.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Can't go into a whole of specifics, but this comes from people who work together with my missus who are currently doing COVID research for testing/vaccines. Speculation, yes there's some of that, but they will likely have the clearest idea of what may transpire.
      Okay, that's definitely a strong step up from "man down pub said" so I'll defer to your better information sources.

It does strike me as odd, after all this time and with pretty much every country in the world working on it, how many unknowns there still seems to be about this disease. So much of what we're getting is anecdotal evidence and that's a poor way to track information. I'm hoping that the experts have a far clearer view of this than I have.

Comment

There's never been a successful vaccine of any coronavirus, so it doesn't really surprise me even with the combined might of the entire world on this, that we haven't reached that point yet. And there's already signs that this strain has gone through at least 30-40 minor changes already in the course of spreading across the world during 2020. So yes, the fear is that one large major mutational leap renders some of the work obsolete in protecting against it, and then they are back to playing catch up against that version on top. The infection report from Hong Kong may be the start. Who can say right now, but precaution is the better part of valour.

For those pinning their hopes on a COVID-19 vaccine to return life to normal, an Australian expert in vaccine development warns the quest poses unique challenges.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yes, well that's it exactly. If the chances of an effective vaccine aren't high then a different strategy is required but, right now, there seems to be no strategy in place other than hanging on for a vaccine. Even with what our governments are calling having it contained really just means it isn't overwhelming the health system all at once. Best case scenario, if things don't get worse, you have a steady slow drip of infections and deaths year on year until when? Forever? If it is genuinely the case that a vaccine is unlikely, very different approaches are required.

Comment

Turkey records highest number of new cases since mid-June; India worse than US and Brazil in number of daily new cases; European re-infections add to immunity concerns prompted by Hong Kong case

Two Europeans have been confirmed to be the second and third known cases of re-infection

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...an-re-infected
              Two Europeans have been confirmed to be the second and third known cases of re-infection
              Can they be Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson, please? Ta v much! (I'm interpreting 'Europeans' broadly, here).

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                Can they be Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson, please? Ta v much! (I'm interpreting 'Europeans' broadly, here).
                That would be good. I wonder which castle Cummings will choose next time.

Comment

One of the most useless and transparently timed reports.
                  They're telling everyone to go back to school and definitely don't wear face coverings. That's not transparent, that a lack of any kind of barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    So basically Cummings has successfully applied eugenics to an entire generation of ou children. Applying grades by region/money instead of individual ability, which will "prove" his theory that intelligence is due to having rich parents / genetics. Even though it was rescinded, it was too late. Countless kids have signed on the line with their second choice university and can't change their mind.
                    Wish I could like this more than once. This was the goal. Scuppered for now, but almost put into action

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...an-re-infected
                      The thing about this though... Does it really mean anything?

Like, it's common knowledge that after you catch and recover from a disease, you are immune to it. Chicken Pox. Measles. Mumps. But I didn't think this was ever absolutely 100%, like I didn't believe it was totally impossible to get Chicken Pox twice, just it's very, very uncommon?

Comment

Pretty sure that common knowledge would be incorrect. Some types of diseases you can build an immunity to. Others you don’t. There are many, many different types of diseases and they don’t act the same and we don’t build immunity to all of them. Nobody is building an immunity to cancer any time soon, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Pretty sure that common knowledge would be incorrect. Some types of diseases you can build an immunity to. Others you don’t. There are many, many different types of diseases and they don’t act the same and we don’t build immunity to all of them. Nobody is building an immunity to cancer any time soon, for example.
                          Cancer is not in itself an infection.

Whats interesting about these reinfection cases is that so far they seem to be asymptomatic indicating some sort of immune protection left over from the 1st infection. Are they as infectious the 2nd time though? We'll have to wait and see how more of these cases turn out and if this is uncommon or not.

Comment

Asura said disease but, yeah, I’ll concede that it’s a poor example. If you want a closer example, we don’t build an immune response to the common cold. Bottom line is this - diseases are different and our body reacts to them differently and extended immunity is not and never ever was a guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Like I didn't believe it was totally impossible to get Chicken Pox twice, just it's very, very uncommon?
                              The virus that causes chickenpox remains dormant in your nerve tissue after you've had it - it can become active again and cause shingles.

Comment

I got chickenpox and mumps within 6 months of each other when I was about 21. It was at that point my mum told me I didn't have the MMR. Thanks mum.
                                Both are **** when your older. Mumps in particular, my neck swelled up like a basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X