United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
    I'm not likely to order beer takeaway myself, but most of the kegs will have turned by lockdown end. They're not in a position where they can just wait and sell it later. Most of the pubs were already barely surviving and can't afford to throw it out, nor can they save it until after lockdown and serve people beer that has gone off. If it means a local pub can use up their remaining beer and survive until December, I don't have a problem with it. The only other (more) sensible option would have been for the government to reimburse the pubs the wholesale cost of the kegs, so they aren't out of pocket.
    That's not the point though; the government doesn't give a **** about that. They've done this explicitly to prop up Weatherspoons.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      That's not the point though; the government doesn't give a **** about that. They've done this explicitly to prop up Weatherspoons.
      100% agreed with that. I even think that it forms part of the long-term strategy for chain pubs that offer food - they will be able to have a spending spree buying up all the independents and brewery-owned pubs that inevitably go under.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        They might've done it to prop up Wetherspoons, but it's also something that I've seen local micropubs pleading for and celebrating.

Comment

MPs are voting over the impending lockdown, it's expected to pass though as Labour is in support and Starmer has said it would be madness to lift the lockdown before the r-rate drops below 1.0

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

Deaths continue to rise, hitting near 500 in a day. New cases have bounced back to the mid-20,000s as well whilst testing rates seem to be in decline.

Comment

Tory linked firm that had testing kits recalled over the summer because of contamination concerns has faced the only outcome that could be expected under the circumstances

Given another ÂŁ347m contract by Hancock

Comment

School run this morning - Absolutely zero evidence other than a few shuttered shops that lockdown is in place. The difference between the first and second lockdown is staggering.

Absolute best case scenario from the coming 4 weeks, a slight and very temporary dip in cases before a full resurgence caused by Xmas.

Comment

Everything is still open here. All shops, hairdressers everything.

Comment

Clothes shops, vaping shops, hairdressers and nail places, charity shops, sporting goods shops and Game are closed in my local shopping area this lunchtime. Literately everything else open as normal, although the Sainsbury’s seems to be limiting the number of customers in some fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                    Sainsbury’s seems to be limiting the number of customers in some fashion.
                    In my mind, I pictured the security guard saying "Woah there! Only one person wearing Gucci at a time!"

Comment

Furlough extended to end of March 2021. People made redundant after 23/9 can be rehired and refurloughed. More money to come for self-employed. More money for devolved administrations. BoE stumps up another 150 billion.

HMRC also warns about shocking levels of furlough fraud (obviously) and are going after eat out to help out fraudsters too.

Comment

Embarrassing for the Tories and pretty pointless too. Why would companies in lockdown rehire axed staff just to top up furlough costs and then have to go through re-firing them at the end of the new deadline given the primary aspect here is their job no longer exists?

It's not that furlough shouldn't exist, more that we're passing the point where more frank admission is required to establish and make clear it's use lies in protecting sustainable jobs, not postponing the axe on defunct ones. There's still a real reluctance from all quarters to admit to and accept the permanent economic damage that is done and dusted now meaning money use this way is less spent in the needed areas.

Comment

It feels pointless. I work non-essential retail so right now I'm furloughed... Just seems pointless to me considering what is still open.

Comment

I don't disagree really.

But for some people in need this is a help.

(The emphasis at large seems to be "Furlough extended to end of March 2021." So my own prominent "People made redundant after 23/9 can be rehired and refurloughed." is just that. I don't think that is widely considered the story here, and the BoE for example is not being shy when it comes to predicting umemployment levels.)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              In my mind, I pictured the security guard saying "Woah there! Only one person wearing Gucci at a time!"
                              It's not Waitrose

Comment

Important government clarification here: travelling for the purpose of assisted dying does not constitute a breach of lockdown rules. It is a "reasonable excuse". People needing to euthanise themselves can breathe a sigh of relief, secure in the knowledge they can do so without incurring a fine: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54823490

Comment

Working...
                                X