No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trials have shown a second COVID vaccine has almost 95% effectiveness. Distribution of both vaccines likely means a relative normality in the UK, Europe and America could potentially be achieved by second half 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Distribution of both vaccines likely means a relative normality in the UK, Europe and America could potentially be achieved by second half 2021.
      Shame we didn't sign up to be part of it then

So far, the UK does not stand to benefit from the vaccine. Moderna has agreed to provide the US with 100 million doses, with an option to buy 400 million more. Japan, Canada, Switzerland, Qatar and Israel have also signed agreements, and the European Commission has a “potential purchase agreement” for 80 to 160 million doses. The UK chose not to participate in the EU vaccine purchase scheme, with Matt Hancock arguing in July that the government could source vaccine faster on its own.
      How's that working out for you Hancock?

Comment

All a part of project increased majority 2024!

Comment

So damned random

Comment

ROAD charging schemes which could see road users charged for every mile they drive on UK roads would be a ‘poll tax on wheels', according to AA President Edmund King.

Dangerous line to consider

Comment

Pretty sure they already do this, given petrol is taxed. Just taking the money from a different pocket - electric cars also drive on roads that require money to maintain them - all depends on how the miles are tracked and the costing, somr vehicles wear the roads faster than others.

Motorcycles should obviously be completely exempt
              Last edited by MartyG; 16-11-2020, 17:02.

Comment

That's the thing, between existing road tax and fuel duty there's no need to change anything else so I've got zero trust this is anything but deceitful from conception. Post-COVID, Brexit and Recession any further hammering of road use is as dumb as they get in a world of wanting people to get back in the office etc. They need to stop being so dumb at not knowing how to obviously monetise E-Cars instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  That's the thing, between existing road tax and fuel duty there's no need to change anything else so I've got zero trust this is anything but deceitful from conception. Post-COVID, Brexit and Recession any further hammering of road use is as dumb as they get in a world of wanting people to get back in the office etc. They need to stop being so dumb at not knowing how to obviously monetise E-Cars instead.
                  Which they're not going to have with electric vehicles - so charging for the amount of milage you travel on roads that have to be maintained doesn't seem unreasonable to me - how is it in anyway deceitful if it's directly linked to the amount of travel you do? It's no where near finalised or indeed actual policy, it's the Daily Express being alarmist from the headline to the final paragraph.

Charged for EVERY mile you drive. The horror.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 16-11-2020, 17:55.

Comment

I've never for one second believed that once electric cars are the norm that charging freely etc will survive to that point. This would just be a simple rejig of the system to ensure that everyone gets charged more than they currently are as a way of essentially penalising those who don't work from home as much moving forward, most likely those the Tories lauded for carrying the country during lockdowns and COVID. Current car tax for my car works out as an avg 0.012p or less per mile, if they want to do this and do it in a fair way then they need to tackle the nonsense of fuel duty and insurance costs first.

Comment

I thought Road Tax was for the upkeep and use of roads? Or is that for something else? Seems like there is already money put aside on a tax that by name is supposed to be for roads. But seems like no, road tax doesn't exist it's actually a vehicle excise tax and goes straight to the general treasury/slush fund.

Cyclists often report that aggressive motorists justify their behaviour on the basis that they pay “road tax”. But there is no such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                        I thought Road Tax was for the upkeep and use of roads? Or is that for something else? Seems like there is already money put aside on a tax that by name is supposed to be for roads. But seems like no, road tax doesn't exist it's actually a vehicle excise tax and goes straight to the general treasury/slush fund.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23694438
                        I always assumed this & could never get my head around why Electric cars were exempt from paying a tax that is designed for the upkeep of roads they also used (unless I missed something & they floated above the road on a cloud of smugness generated by the people who drive them) but that actually explains how it works now

That said this whole push to have new electric cars only by 2030 is ******* retarded anyway
                        I & many others simply won't have the ability to charge cars at their homes
                        I don't have a drive & have to park on the road outside which is across a green & it obviously not safe to run a plug across a footpath & green to charge it... assuming I can actually get the space, if I can't I have to park in the cul-de-sac at the end of the road

Heaven help people in the flats as well they stand no chance

Definitely not a fan of Electric cars at all

Neil

Comment

There is no 'road tax'. Its vehicle tax. Tax for owning a vehicle that pays for the upkeep of the roads. You don't get taxed for the use of a road.

Comment

Yep correct Gunrock, that's why our roads are in such a ****ty state. As Neon says, once we get most people on EV's then the cost of electricity will surely increase as the tax receipts from fossils will be dropping off considerably.

Whilst EV's might not give out emission's which is good, they put more wear on the roads as they are much heavier
                            Last edited by Anpanman; 16-11-2020, 19:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              There is no 'road tax'. Its vehicle tax. Tax for owning a vehicle that pays for the upkeep of the roads. You don't get taxed for the use of a road.
                              Which is my point exactly why should EV be exempt??
                              They still use the roads & therefore should be charged the same as every other vehicle that uses the road

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                                Which is my point exactly why should EV be exempt??
                                They still use the roads & therefore should be charged the same as every other vehicle that uses the road
                                The exemption is an incentive to encourage the transition to a more environmentally sustainable form of personal transport. That’s how many countries are doing this, incentives...

Comment

Working...
                                X