No announcement yet.

Mobile Phone Thread S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, from what I've read the iPhone minis sold poorly compared to the other models.

The Dynamic Island is pretty nifty on the 14 Pro. I like how they've turned something that's basically a slight inconvenience (the need to have the camera/Face ID sensors on the display) into a virtue. The name also tickles me.

Here it is folks if you haven't seen it...behold the dynamicism...

(can't get image tags to work around this GIF for some reason :/)

Comment

Still not convinced that I need to bin off my iPhone 11 just yet, but I must admit this is the first time I'm looking at the pro model wondering if that might be worth the jump. I watched the whole presentation, and was very much thinking of this place when it was talking about a 1hz refresh rate display.

Comment

Yeah, they've really increased the gap between the standard and the Pro this year. There was hardly anything in it on the 12 and 13, just a slightly better camera setup.

This year the Pro gets the better cameras, plus more powerful chip, always-on display, and of course the Dynamic Island.

I still use a XR, from the year before the 11. I'll probably hang onto it until I'm forced to buy a new model by loss/breakage/theft. I like to see what they do every year though.

Comment

That's how the Apple Watch is able to have an always on display, by having it output at 1hz when it's not being used, only comming to life when you raise your wrist. A very clever solution to a technical issue.

Comment

If there are any Saudi princes reading this, please consider this my formal request for a Metal Slug 2 port to the iPhone 14 Pro.

Comment

Any mention of battery life improvements anywhere on the 14pro? I couldn’t see anything to be honest.

Comment

I don't think there's anything appreciable in that regard on the Pro. The 14 Plus has the best battery life if that's your number 1 priority.

Comment

It is in reality but the plus is just far too big for my pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    Any mention of battery life improvements anywhere on the 14pro? I couldn’t see anything to be honest.
                    their listing battery life in usage so they say

Up to 19 hours video playback on the 13

Up to 26 hours video on the standard 14

Up to 29 hours video playback on the 14 pro

My Iphone 13 has about half its battery left at the end of the day with pretty heavy usage, browsing gaming music ect, The only time i have fully ran it down was using a backbone controller and playing genshin and xbox via the cloud for prolonged sessions which is a pretty heavy usage scenario.

Comment

My understanding is that in the Pro era, all iPhones (barring the SE and/or Mini models) have been rock-solid in terms of battery life.

But hey, I've been a Pixel user since the Pixel 2 - crap batteries are par for the course!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        My understanding is that in the Pro era, all iPhones (barring the SE and/or Mini models) have been rock-solid in terms of battery life.

But hey, I've been a Pixel user since the Pixel 2 - crap batteries are par for the course!

My brother has the latest pixel and hes super happy with it not got experience myself but not heard him complain about battery once with it.

The worst phone i ever had was a mid number 7/8 Samsung Galaxy it was great at first then the Notes started blowing up and they did an over the air enforced update that nerfed the battery life, Thing was beeping by midday after that, was an absolute traversty that was got rid of in under a year and made me stay away from them for the foreseeable.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 09-09-2022, 15:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                          My brother has the latest pixel and hes super happy with it not got experience myself but not heard him complain about battery once with it.
                          That's fair enough and I'm not about to argue with your brother, but I've owned a Pixel 2 and I currently use a Pixel 4 XL. My younger brother has owned every Pixel phone up to the current Pixel 6a and I purchased my mother a Pixel 4a so it's not like I don't have experience of Pixel hardware.

The common consensus is that battery life is something that Pixel hardware has always struggled with, barring the Pixel 5 and that's only because it uses a processor that isn't top-range. There are plenty of reviewers and/or testers and/or other users out there who have cited that the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro aren't that great for battery even though they have the biggest batteries ever seen in Pixel hardware.

Funnily enough, the mid range Pixel a-series models have fared better. The 3a, 4a and 4a 5G were seen as decent and the 5a (never released in Europe) had the best battery-life seen in an a-series Pixel phone, likely because none of them were using top-of-the-range processors that consume a lot of power.

All of that said, the 6a's battery appears to be getting positive reviews and that uses the same first-gen Tensor chip used in the 6 and 6 Pro, so maybe Google are improving things on that front?
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 09-09-2022, 15:20.

Comment

Last yea I upgraded to a 13 pro max 1TB with nothing to pay upfront, this year it’s £330 upfront, I think I’ll wait till the sales start.

I should add that it’s with EE and it seems like their new anytime upgrade (from 15 days after the start of the contract) may be the course, with no contracts available within that option.
                            Last edited by gware; 09-09-2022, 18:04.

Comment

My wife has the Pixel 6 and currently the battery is a real issue since the last update. Lasts about half a day but she's always on it so there's that.

She hasn't had any other issues mind and the phone is gorgeous. I find most recent iPhone designs utterly ugly in comparison...

Comment

I guess I'm a pretty light user, but my Pixel 6 will last 3 days on a charge and I think it'd go longer, but I probs don't reach anywhere close to 2 hours of screen time a day (charged it at lunch yesterday and it's currently showing 96% 16 hours later).

So 9 mins screen time in the last 24 hours - has been connected to my BOSE headphones over bluetooth as it auto-connects, I suspect my usage isn't that typical, I mostly use the phone for the camera.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 10-09-2022, 08:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X