No announcement yet.

Mobile Phone Thread S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they (the US gov) definitely have, yeah. I read that they have been building this case since 2019. I would think the timing of filing the suit has a lot to do with the enforcement of the EU DMA now coming in, too.

Comment

Anyone getting the Nothing Phone 2a that just came out?

My Razer Phone 2 is about to give up the ghost, so I need to replace it, and it seems a good shout. In practice it's nothing like what I want (I've always like gaming phones, not so much for gaming but because their performance characteristics are excessive - it's like running MS Office on a gaming PC, sure, you're over-specced but it's never gonna stutter), and I've always liked the RP2's squared off body, front facing speakers and SD card.

Literally no-one's making a viable replacement though, so I'm thinking of getting a lower-cost just good smartphone, then will come back to the market in 3 years and see what's changed. It's either that or I go the other direction and just get a Pixel 8 Pro on contract from THREE.

Comment

Can't say that I will, been very happy with my Pixel 8 Pro (not bought on contract, so no lock-in), the only thing I dislike is the underscreen fingerprint reader that only ever intermitently works for me.

I might be tempted to get one of these though as an additional phone - the minimal phone: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...werty-phone/#/

Comment

That minimal looks really cool. I don't have an issue with current phones but a tactile keyboard and a screen I car read in the sun is appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Being told I can't take scrutiny from pure hypocrites who don't apply that same "criteria" to other posters on here
            Not aware I've behaved like that, please provide evidence, if I'm proved wrong I'll accept with good grace and humility and change my behaviour.

Since you were apparently ignoring me but you've chosen to respond to a comment of mine actually makes you a hypocrite - no?

LOL hilarious
            Sadly you've been proven to make generalising statements with nothing to back it up and when proved wrong you reel off an acronym or two to try and look clever and deflect from the fact you haven't got anything to back up your claims.

Absolute human trash.
            ...now descending into personal attacks, not a nice comment at all.​

Comment

A truly stunning lack of self-awareness. Somebody should maybe look at their very own posts for "evidence" and then deeply reflect on why they've got the responses they've got. Doubt they'll do that though - too busy trying way too hard to be selective Forum Police. What a joke.

Apple WWDC locked in for 10th June, AI to be the focus.

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 28-03-2024, 12:12.

Comment

Well, whaddaya know? Turns out that the upcoming on-device AI features that Google insisted could only be done on the Pixel 8 Pro are indeed coming to the smaller Pixel 8 after all.

Why, it's not like Google to wilfully lie about what Pixel devices can/cannot do.

Comment

What does the AI stuff do?

Add extra fingers on photos?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    What does the AI stuff do?

Add extra fingers on photos?

Possibly. And generate more ethnically diverse Nazis to anger the far-right!

List of features: https://blog.google/products/pixel/p...december-2023/

Comment

Possibly. And generate more ethnically diverse Nazis to anger the far-right!
                      Very good!

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                        Not aware I've behaved like that, please provide evidence, if I'm proved wrong I'll accept with good grace and humility and change my behaviour.
                        Since you were apparently ignoring me but you've chosen to respond to a comment of mine actually makes you a hypocrite - no?

Sadly you've been proven to make generalising statements with nothing to back it up and when proved wrong you reel off an acronym or two to try and look clever and deflect from the fact you haven't got anything to back up your claims.

...now descending into personal attacks, not a nice comment at all.​

A truly stunning lack of self-awareness. Somebody should maybe look at their very own posts for "evidence" and then deeply reflect on why they've got the responses they've got. Doubt they'll do that though - too busy trying way too hard to be selective Forum Police. What a joke.
                        This is getting very boring.

Can everyone stop winding each other up and / or trying to get the last word in? If someone disagrees with someone else, but can't make the point nicely, then just ignore and move on. Life's too short and no one looks clever. Literally no one cares and the next day no one will remember, apart from me and other mods who have to read through everything to figure out who's getting told off. Please read this: https://bordersdown.net/forum/non-ga...11-please-read

Do NOT bother replying to my post or via PM - just carry on, but better. Thanks

Comment

I keep seeing adverts for Galaxy AI and I'm still unclear on what it actually does on your phone.

WWDC this year will be a welcome chance to finally find out what Apple are doing with AI, since I use an Apple phone and computer. Siri is just absolutely execrable, as it always has been since day one. The other day I had my hands full walking the dog so asked it to phone my partner, and it promptly phoned a bloke we had to let go from our company a few years ago instead!!! Thankfully he didn't pick up (or phone me back for that matter)! Intelligent indeed.

On a brighter note I went from an iPhone 7 (lol) to an iPhone 15 recently. The iPhone 7 was meant to be a temporary thing after I lost my XR last year (itself a 6 year old phone) but I ended up using it for ages. The 15 is unsurprisingly a quantum leap forward in actually being able to, y'know, do stuff. A phone of the 7's vintage just completely collapses on modern websites in a browser now.
                          Last edited by wakka; 28-03-2024, 14:37.

Comment

AI is now reporting security bugs against the open source curl application (and others no doubt) in the hope of getting a bounty for finding it. Except there was no bug, which even a junior programmer would have realised. So, instead they wasted an open source developer's time. Multiple times. That's what AI is doing for us.

Comment

New rufty toughfty tablet on the block with Night Vision.

Comment

Google working on an enhanced desktop mode for Android 15.

Full story: https://www.gsmarena.com/google_is_working_on_enhanced_android_desktop_mode _for_android_15-news-62335.php
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-04-2024, 08:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X