X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an absolute **** day today is

Greavsie & now John Challis (Boycie)

2 absolute staples of my childhood gone in the same day

Remember Saturdays coming home from Cubs Football training & watching Saint & Greavsie, helped cement my love of football

And Fools & Horses will forever be the greatest sitcom of all time, it will never be quite the same but I adore watching it & Boycie will forever be a firm favourite

Today really can do one

Rest in peace both

Neil

Comment

Cor yep what a ****ter, Fool & Horses was one of the funniest things to grace our telly.

Greaves was a legend, loved him with the Saint but sadly was just a bit too young to have seen him play but my dad and brother regaled me at any opportunity to let me know just how good he was.

Particularly when you consider when he was playing defenders played a different game than today, I certainly don't think there would be any footage of Greavsie diving and rolling around in the penalty box.

Comment

John Challis struck up a Twitter friendship with Ice T.

Yes, "Cop Killer" Ice T.

They sent each other christmas greetings and
        John Challis got a copy of the latest Body Count album!

Comment

Actor Robert Fyfe, best known for playing Howard in sitcom Last of the Summer Wine for 25 years, has died at the age of 90.
          He's the one who's character was having a rather dodgy affair.

I love Last of the summer wine, less and less of the cast are about now obviously. I wonder if they will do a remake with a whole new cast in the future.

Comment

It had hit that awkward spot where it was losing too many of the main loved characters but it remains criminal that the BBC axed it the way that they did. It should have been allowed to have a fitting send off

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              It had hit that awkward spot where it was losing too many of the main loved characters but it remains criminal that the BBC axed it the way that they did. It should have been allowed to have a fitting send off
              ...down a hill in a bathtub?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                i used to hate this show as it pretty much meant your weekend was over when i was a kid, I kind of look back on it with a bit of fondness now, it was pretty sweet really, 3 buddy's all in the twilight years of their life still getting up to stupid hi-jinks despite their advancing age. It showed pensioners in a positive light rather than feeble old codgers which has to be a good thing.

Them getting up to one last scheme that involved them all hurtling down a hill in a bathtub before crashing through a dry stone wall leaving their fate unknown would have been a fitting way to end the show.

Comment

I hated it from start to finish and still avoid the repeats when they're on like the plague. It just did not click with me on any level as a teenager, when it started or since. Neither my parents or, that I remember, grand-parents had any time for it either. It was just one of those gentille BBC comedies you'd switch over channels from looking for something more interesting.

Dad's Army though - that's was a different thing. I still find the repeats amusing despite its theatrical creakiness and undoubtedly lack of polish. The cinema film spin off was actually one of those few translations to the big screen, something they loved to do back in the 70s, that captured a genuine feel of the TV series. The only other ones that I can remember that worked as well as the TV series were the two Steptoe and Son films

The god-awful fairly recent film remake of Dad's Army and an equally awful lost TV episode one must have made all those now deceased original cast members turn in their graves.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                    I hated it from start to finish and still avoid the repeats when they're on like the plague. It just did not click with me on any level as a teenager, when it started or since. Neither my parents or, that I remember, grand-parents had any time for it either. It was just one of those gentille BBC comedies you'd switch over channels from looking for something more interesting.

Dad's Army though - that's was a different thing. I still find the repeats amusing despite its theatrical creakiness and undoubtedly lack of polish. The cinema film spin off was actually one of those few translations to the big screen, something they loved to do back in the 70s, that captured a genuine feel of the TV series. The only other ones that I can remember that worked as well as the TV series were the two Steptoe and Son films

The god-awful fairly recent film remake of Dad's Army and an equally awful lost TV episode one must have made all those now deceased original cast members turn in their graves.
                    Same
                    An absolutely awful show
                    The other Half's dad loves it, thinks it's fantastic

Agree with you Dad's Army though that's still a brilliant watch

Neil

Comment

LotSW wasn't great, but it never tried to be. My fondest memories of it were Mark&Lard talking about it on their afternoon show, not actually watching it. It was a favourite of my grandfather's.

Dad's Army. Yeah, funny moments but not interesting enough to watch again until my son is old enough for me to explain all the jokes and how, when he was born during a pandemic, everything that people gave up in the war "for the effort", they clung to like rabid ferrets and only thought of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                        Now I can imagine it like the last scene in Blackadder Goes Forth...freezing and fading to sepia tones as the bathtub crashes through the dry stone wall with the look of surprise on their faces one...last...time...

Comment

Another England legend gone, Roger Hunt.

Former Liverpool striker Roger Hunt, who played in every England game of the 1966 World Cup, dies at the age of 83.

The only diving he did was into a pool on his hols.

Comment

Saito Takao, author of Golgo 13, died at 84 due to pancreatic cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              Saito Takao, author of Golgo 13, died at 84 due to pancreatic cancer.
                              Saw that on TV this morning. They had a 5 minute section on him during the daily news.

Comment

Blimey. That's where I stole my name from for this site when I joined all those years ago, having then just seen the truly awful movie adaptation. The hookline for Golgo 13 seemed strangely appropriate: "Deadly to his enemies. Irresistible to his women."

Comment

Working...
                                X