No announcement yet.

America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube has started tests showing 5 unskippable ads before each video starts to some users. One user reported seeing 11 ads before their video started. This may force more people towards adblockers and apps like YouTube Vanced.

YouTube goes overload on Ads

Comment

Patagonia’s billionaire owner gives away company to fight climate crisis | US news | The Guardian
      Patagonia's owner has made the entire company not-for-profit with all money now going toward climate change causes

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        Gotta love this

This may force more people towards adblockers and apps like YouTube Vanced.
        "Force"?!

They know you can pay for Youtube, right? I started doing it 3 months ago on a 3-month free trial, and honestly I'm gonna keep it. I used it way more than any other streaming service.

Comment

Yep. My wife and I have a YouTube family sub and I’d never go back to the old days.

Comment

Yeah it's ridiculous to say that people should just illegally access the content instead, but I still resent being forced to pay for YouTube (which is effectively what five unskippable ads will do, since the two at the moment are barely tolerable when you just want to find out a piece of information quickly). It irritates me that the entire internet of video is hosted on a single website.

I will probably end up doing it though. Can't fight city hall

Comment

I only use Youtube for individual videos so this would have minimal impact beyond making it much more likely that I will never make it to the video at all instead of just clicking back and selecting the next one down the list. They're never getting me to pay because despite their efforts Youtube isn't Netflix so there's no real value there, paying is simply funding a worsening model.

It will help kill the rabbit hole effect too so it could lose them ad revenue too.

Comment

I have ad block, Youtube has adverts not seen any in years

Comment

Firefox and ad block render this null.
                  YouTube Vanced has gone, but there are still others too.

Comment

If I'm browsing on a console, you can't skip the ads.
                    I've been watching a video and knocked the pad, backing out and upon rewatching, the ads started again. I stopped watching.

I've often given up before the ads finish too.

I've stopped watching when mid-vid ads come up.

I can't be the only one who does this, so more ads ain't the answer!

I'm not paying for the privilege to remove ads, especially at £12 a month. Eat my shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      If I'm browsing on a console, you can't skip the ads.
                      I've been watching a video and knocked the pad, backing out and upon rewatching, the ads started again. I stopped watching.

I've often given up before the ads finish too.

I've stopped watching when mid-vid ads come up.

I can't be the only one who does this, so more ads ain't the answer!

I'm not paying for the privilege to remove ads, especially at £12 a month. Eat my shorts.
                      I have never forgotten that some YouTube guy said they wanted to 'frustrate' people with ads so they'll pay for the service - https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-43496603

They just frustrate me into not using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I have never forgotten that some YouTube guy said they wanted to 'frustrate' people with ads so they'll pay for the service - https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-43496603

They just frustrate me into not using it.
                        How else are they supposed to pay for the site, though? They must already have one of, if not the highest hosting costs in the world.

This isn't trying to be judgemental; I'm genuinely thinking - how could they make it into something you'd be willing to pay for?

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        They're never getting me to pay because despite their efforts Youtube isn't Netflix so there's no real value there
                        Honestly I find it waaaaay more valuable than Netflix. I mean if I'm gonna do some DIY, or cook something, and want some guidance - it might not be the first place I'll go but it's definitely where I'll end up.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          How else are they supposed to pay for the site, though? They must already have one of, if not the highest hosting costs in the world.

This isn't trying to be judgemental; I'm genuinely thinking - how could they make it into something you'd be willing to pay for?

Honestly I find it waaaaay more valuable than Netflix. I mean if I'm gonna do some DIY, or cook something, and want some guidance - it might not be the first place I'll go but it's definitely where I'll end up.
                          Id have to agree if you Ignore the shocked face million of views vids and use it as a resorce to learn new things its a great tool. Recently It showed me how to change the broken flush mechanism on my loo, gave me some great tips on wallpapering and painting, how to refit a seal on a washing machine, and is a great resource for fixing electronics ( done iphones, DS light charge ports and even a few joycons )

its also a great hobbyist resource when i built my PI Arcade unit i wanted a light up marquee so i had a mess about with some individually addressable rgb lights and hooked them up to a raspberry pi picco a few python scripts later (never touched python before this) and i can directly control the patterns and what the Led's do in my arcade cab.

Then theirs the whole video game guide scene, If i want to know the best character or team builds in Genshin Impact someones done the grind got the weapons and artifacts and has a video on how to build your character backed up with the maths comparing the numbers to other weapons. I like to see what the meta is in destiny 2 and theirs a bunch of players out their doing the same as genshin telling you what perks to look for and how you should be building your character to maximize you DPS ect and their super knowledgeable really well researched and super helpful.
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 15-09-2022, 15:19.

Comment

By making it attractive which, to be fair, was half the guy's answer. But the idea that they would deliberately try to annoy you enough to pay is a terrible, awful way to motivate a sale. Also given advertising is pretty much their main business, I wouldn't be happy reading that if I was an advertiser either. It makes out like their main customers (who are advertisers, not viewers - we're generally what is being sold) are an unwanted problem they can leverage.

Comment

They pay for the site just fine out of the ads they run now, not to mention their umpteen other obscenely profitable businesses (and absolute control over YouTube gives them an obscene amount of power that's worth its weight in gold on its own, even if the site never made a dime).

But internet advertising revenues are down across the web, and they want to make more money, so they're doubling the number of ads. More clicks, more eyeballs, more Premium subs.

It sucks because this isn't some struggling startup trying to make cashflow. This is a literal monopoly. They're the only game in town, so when they make changes like this, which are purely negative for the user and self-serving, we're all powerless to do anything except suck it up.

Comment

I have a blocker which works fine, There was a cheat, scroll to the end of the video and select replay you then could see advertisement free.

Perhaps may not work now.

Comment

Working...
                                X