America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I joined Mastodon yesterday, but it's like this:.
    Even if more people move to it, Mastodon isn't going to take off because people saying "it's just like Twitter" are literally the sort of people who say you should find it easy to move to Linux because "the front-end is just like Windows these days", practically maliciously leaving out all the jank you need to navigate.

For starters, Mastodon has servers, kinda like Discord - so it's really lots of Micro-Twitter services. There's some communication globally but it's not really the focus of the service. That's a problem because

(1) being global, having access to a large number of people internationally, all that jazz is the main reason many use Twitter
    (2) allowing small communities to segregate themselves could massively inflate Twitter's problems; e.g. fringe groups can create their own servers, people can be banned from some servers but not others, etc.

Comment

I joined Mastodon yesterday,
      Can’t wait to hear your first album with them.

Comment

Never used twitter. Never needed to. I don't think I'm missing anything at all. Like AT ALL.
        I don't use Facebook either; I don't give a **** what Bob is having for dinner.

Comment

Yep I've never user snapface or instashat either, I'm the Bill Belichick of our house.
          [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7U2ew9nMxo

Comment

Facebook groups are genius. Until they get too big and get overtaken by robot spam

Comment

Musks showcase of proving to the world that he actually knows **** all about business management continues:

Comment

How about a poll for how many people will pay for a blue tick? I'm thinking 17. Actually, scratch that - just reading some replies it seems there are plenty of clowns willing to pay for a blue tick that will now change from meaning verified to I wear clown shoes.

I joined Mastodon yesterday, but it's like this.
                I'm not surprised. The first search got me a band I'd never heard of before and then a website I couldn't actually create an account on as you have to go onto a different random server, many of which have wait lists.

Really couldn't be bothered with all that nonsense.
                Last edited by MartyG; 02-11-2022, 14:07.

Comment

Some added context for the pricing:

I think it's hilarious that he thought it was the price that Stephen King is taking issue with and that this was a good opportunity to haggle.

Comment

Or somehow he'd sell fewer books if he stop using it.

That old adage: better to keep quiet and let people think you're a fool than open your gob and prove it.

Twitter: the place to do the latter on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      I'm not surprised. The first search got me a band I'd never heard of before and then a website I couldn't actually create an account on as you have to go onto a different random server, many of which have wait lists.

Really couldn't be bothered with all that nonsense.
                      Mastodon are fecking immense and they could certainly teach Musk a thing or two about hunting whales.

Last edited by Golgo; 02-11-2022, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        Some added context for the pricing:

I think it's hilarious that he thought it was the price that Stephen King is taking issue with and that this was a good opportunity to haggle.
                        Wait, that was real?? I thought it was a Elon parody account or a photoshop.

Comment

Yeah, Mastodon (the band) are ace. Really unique kind of prog metal. They were brilliant at Download.

I'm still finding it strange though to read responses to wanting to find an alternative to Twitter as "I've never liked Twatter", "Facebook is rubbish" and "I can't navigate Mastodon".

Cool story, but my question remains, what is a good alternative to Twitter?

Honestly, I don't think it exists yet, but in the same way that Yahoo, Google Hangouts and MySpace lost popularity, I think Twitter will go the same way and something new will replace it.

I'm guessing it'll be called "Grunter".
                          Might go trademark it, quick.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            Wait, that was real?? I thought it was a Elon parody account or a photoshop.
                            If anyone can pay for a blue tick in the future, then you'll never really know for sure, right?

Comment

Downloaded my Twitter data archive and deactivated my account yesterday.

Hadn't used it since the beginning of COVID so I doubt I'll be missing it. At one point it was incredibly informative and useful for true real-time news and information but that has all gone to sh1t in recent times for obvious reasons. Musk purchasing pretty much ensured my exit from it but in retrospect I was slowly heading that way anyway.

In fact, the pandemic has seen me limit my social media use. I stopped using Facebook at the same time (although my account remains active even though I don't interact with it - fully logged out and no app on my phone or tablet). Admittedly, Instagram is my poison of choice but I barely use that too - just over 100 posts in seven years and more of a penchant for "story" clips.

The less said about Reddit, the better. Absolute sh1thole.

Comment

I mean, it's worth repeating... The future is clearly Bordersdown

We've been paying to be Blue for years before Musk stole the idea!

Comment

Working...
                                X