America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    If anyone can pay for a blue tick in the future, then you'll never really know for sure, right?
    I’d definitely pay $8 for a month of pretending to be genuine.

Comment

Forums will rise again!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        I mean, it's worth repeating... The future is clearly Bordersdown

We've been paying to be Blue for years before Musk stole the idea!
        Looks suspiciously at the youngsters playing with their “new fangled technology” and cleans the shotguns. They wont be coming to these parts, and that’s the way we like it.

Comment

Jokes aside, forums and similar things might be the way forward. Twitter (and stuff like it) was born in that earlier optimistic era of the mid-00s when we still naively believed that bringing everyone into one big community so they could connect with each other would be a positive step for humanity.

Arguably one of Twitter's biggest problems is that prior to stuff like Twitter, the real fascist presence online (and I don't mean your coworker Steve who doesn't think much of immigrants, I mean proper flag-waving facists) were essentially locked up in single forum community; I won't say its name here but it was notorious, one of the characters in The Boys was named after it. If you wanted to avoid those people, you pretty much just had to not go there. The openness of newer platforms means that isn't really viable.

If it fractures, that "great experiment" might've ultimately proved that humanity isn't ready for that. Maybe we need to go back to being split up into lots of smaller online communities, where people have more control.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Twitter (and stuff like it) was born in that earlier optimistic era of the mid-00s when we still naively believed that bringing everyone into one big community so they could connect with each other would be a positive step for humanity.
            And yet it wasn't really that. Twitter in the early days was a mix of the mundane and the hilarious. It was a place of nonsense and low stress. Almost nobody there was looking for a positive step for humanity or even one big community - it was in circles of specific interest and so many of those interests were just comedy. These things have become too important but it's not because we were actually looking for that.

Comment

Former Pakistan cricketer and former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has been shot in an assassination attempt in Lahore.

The ousted former prime minister is wounded in the leg when a burst of gunfire hits his vehicle.

Comment

Elon Musk announces Twitter mass layoffs to begin Friday | Elon Musk | The Guardian
                Today Musk will begin firing huge swathes of Twitters employment force

Comment

This is bizarre, too - I mean it's only been a week. How can you conduct a layoff consultation in that time?!

Comment

You tell all your managers to give you a list of names within 24 hours or they're fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      This is bizarre, too - I mean it's only been a week. How can you conduct a layoff consultation in that time?!
                      Feels motivated by fear. Musk never wanted Twitter. He shot his mouth off and the result was that he got himself into a very expensive situation and he’s desperately trying not to lose money. Nothing he is doing here makes sense. The blue tick charge, the layoffs. They are gut decisions from a man out of his depth who got himself into something he never wanted.

Comment

For some unknown reason I decided to have a look at Twitter today, only to find it was just MAGA fans mocking the staff for getting sacked. Cesspit.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          For some unknown reason I decided to have a look at Twitter today, only to find it was just MAGA fans mocking the staff for getting sacked. Cesspit.
                          I saw a thread earlier in the week where a newspaper asked

"Should we have an amnesty for people's actions during COVID to help move on?"

... and I, naive as I am, was thinking that while my knee-jerk reaction is that I'm still angry at those people, the entitled few, who would nearly get into fights with Tesco staff at the door for refusing to wear a mask, in the interests of the world keeping on turning I might be able to get over them all being childish little twats.

I got a real shock when every response in the thread was from those exact people saying "forget an amnesty, we need Nuremberg trials for all those people who forced masks on us"

Comment

This is why we can't have nice things.

Also, it's highly expected that Trump will announce his 2024 candidacy shortly after the mid-terms.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 04-11-2022, 13:43.

Comment

For my own mental health, I need to never hear of that orange tit ever again.

Comment

Musk continues to crowdsource management of Twitter whilst still demonstrating how little about business he knows

Comment

Working...
                                X