No announcement yet.

America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does you seeing the likes or dislikes (which they can already turn off), make any difference at all to them posting the content or people watching it? If you're watching it, you're engaging and helping the algorithm.

Perhaps I'm missing something here - like the moment people see a big dislike, they turn it off.

However, I suspect the opposite is true - people are more likely to share a massively disliked video with "look how big the dislike count is", which in turn gets more engagement and promotes the video futher up the search ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      How does you seeing the likes or dislikes (which they can already turn off), make any difference at all to them posting the content or people watching it? If you're watching it, you're engaging and helping the algorithm.
      I think the problem is you don't necessarily know what a video's about, in its entirety, before you watch it.

Take something like, I dunno, the trailer for the Sonic movie. It got hugely ratio'd which was one of the reasons they made Sonic look like Sonic in the movie.

But you have to watch the trailer to see if it's bad, otherwise you're doing the equivalent of posting an angry comment about an article you didn't read.

Comment

And seeing/not seeing the like / dislike ratio changes that how? You still don't know until you watch it what it's about in either case. How do we know it wasn't disliked because the video wasn't in 4:3 ratio?

Comment

And seeing/not seeing the like / dislike ratio changes that how? You still don't know until you watch it what it's about in either case.
          The presence of the very public backlash, indicated by a single pair of numbers, embarrassed the company into doing it.

I think if the number had been private the effect wouldn't have been as significant.

Comment

I think this is really grasping at straws now tbh - besides I'm not sure pandering to the angry mob is always a good thing anyway at the expense of artistic vision.

Comment

Yep. I'm with Marty on that. Especially because people generally aren't very good as using something like that well. Enabling nerd rage is rarely a positive.

Comment

I think this is really grasping at straws now tbh
                I don't.

besides I'm not sure pandering to the angry mob is always a good thing anyway at the expense of artistic vision.
                We'll have to differ here, because when it comes to big corporate entertainment projects, I think the democritisation of the media has been a good thing.

I don't think it's the expense of "artistic vision", because I just see that as a bunch of execs in a room making the decisions. They only understand money/numbers so it's a number they can easily grasp.

EDIT: @MartyG, just to say - I don't think you're wrong. Google agrees with you; it's obviously good for their profit margins so it's the right thing for them to do. I just personally wouldn't get rid of it. I'm not a YouTuber so I have no personal skin in this game, but at the same time, most platforms allow people to give things positive/negative reviews, like Amazon Reviews, Steam Reviews... They're all abused in some way at times, but I wouldn't advocate getting rid of them.
                Last edited by Asura; 11-11-2021, 16:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Yep. I'm with Marty on that. Especially because people generally aren't very good as using something like that well. Enabling nerd rage is rarely a positive.
                  Quite - and this was because "hardcore fans" didn't like human teeth. No mention of YouTube ratios https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entert...er/4730593002/ - think the director should have gone with the original vision, they'd still have smashed it at the box office as ultimately, the majority of people going to see it are not in the baying mob group.

Comment

It sounds like you see everyone who has ever clicked "dislike" as some kind of rage-filled, foaming-at-the-mouth simpleton. In that scenario I can see why you want the feature removed.

This is from how you seem to equate dislikes to the actions of an "angry mob", as opposed to a large number of distinct individuals who don't like a video
                    Last edited by Asura; 11-11-2021, 16:19.

Comment

No, I equate it from the sort of messages that were being sent on Twitter, my whole point has been the like/dislike ratio has very little relevance to content in most situations.

Comment

No, I equate it from the sort of messages that were being sent on Twitter, my whole point has been the like/dislike ratio has very little relevance to content in most situations.
                        Well, for better or worse, the actions of those comparably few people have got a major corporation to change its policy, which is crap regardless of which side of this you sit on 😟
                        Last edited by Asura; 11-11-2021, 16:25.

Comment

I just feel for those who use YouTube for tutorial videos. A high number of dislikes would indicate the video is wrong, now they'll just watch it and assume that's how to wire a plug.

I think removing anything that allows the public a vote or voice, however small is step towards the bad.

Comment

No, no it doesn't. I t could indicate anything, that they don't like the presenter's ties, that they don't like the music, that the presenter is non-gender specific, if Trump has told them to do it. That is the point. Your voice is not being removed at all.

I don't believe anyone watches a YT video and bases whether the content is right or wrong on the like dislike ratio and if they do, they probably need to take a moment and re-evaluate their life.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 11-11-2021, 16:40.

Comment

I don't give that much of a **** about this.

The Tory party won the election.

Oh right, by how much?

Oh you don't need to see the numbers.

Isnt that important?

No, people vote for things for any number of reasons, it don't matter why they won or by how much.

Comment

Strawman. Not the same thing at all.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 11-11-2021, 16:47.

Comment

Working...
                                X