America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting.

I did read that there are growing social tensions in Russia too. Russia isn't cut off from the world as much as they'd like and the population under 40 are well aware of the world's opinion of Russia and that Russia is beginning to slip behind the economy and infrastructure of Europe. They are tired of being seen as the bad guys too. Essentially they are beginning to turn away from Putin and the Soviet hard line stance.
    I can't see this making a huge difference in the short term, but longer term we may see Russia soften a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      Did they say why they think he can't hold it?
      Politically can't hold it, or is the Russian force not enough to hold it?
      To give some idea, Ukraine is around a third of Russia's population.

If the populace refuses to comply even post-invasion, it'll be hard for them to achieve anything with what they've taken, and it'll cost them money.

In previous eras, the conqueror might have concentration camps or commit genocide in order to force compliance, but in 2022 I'm not sure that would work, because part of the reason the world is concerned about getting involved in Ukraine is they're worried about loss of life. If the Russians start exterminating the population then that reasoning goes away.

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      Interesting.

I did read that there are growing social tensions in Russia too. Russia isn't cut off from the world as much as they'd like and the population under 40 are well aware of the world's opinion of Russia and that Russia is beginning to slip behind the economy and infrastructure of Europe. They are tired of being seen as the bad guys too. Essentially they are beginning to turn away from Putin and the Soviet hard line stance.
      I can't see this making a huge difference in the short term, but longer term we may see Russia soften a little.
      I've read they have an age imbalance; apparently young people have been trying to move to other countries for 2 decades now, meaning their population is low between the ages of 18-35.

EDIT: Found a graph:

Last edited by Asura; 24-02-2022, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
        Oh look what's happened!
        That post aged well!

Is it an invasion though, or is Russia simply coming to the aid of the recognized people's democratic republics of Donetsk and Lugansk?

I for one am not especially concerned by events on the far end of Eastern Europe.

Resist the fear being instilled by the UK government controlled mass media.

Comment

And read Russian government-backed propaganda instead you mean?

I'm not afraid of owt. I was merely pointing out what's happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
            That post aged well!

Is it an invasion though, or is Russia simply coming to the aid of the recognized people's democratic republics of Donetsk and Lugansk?

I for one am not especially concerned by events on the far end of Eastern Europe.

You’re a ****ing loon.
            Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 24-02-2022, 10:48.

Comment

That post aged well!

You reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy want a perma ban don't you?

Comment

I can get behind this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  You reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy want a perma ban don't you?
                  Please stop quoting him.

Or can we implement a feature where you can't see quotes from people on your ignore list?

Comment

Worth mentioning that the creator of various Everdrive flash carts (Krikzz) lives in Ukraine near the East border. He's alright at the moment by the sounds of it, still updating Twitter. If you're on about this whole thing being manufactured fear or whatever, maybe put yourself in his shoes.

Comment

"Russia simply coming to the aid of the recognized people's democratic republics of Donetsk and Lugansk?"

"Recognised" by Vlad Putin, lackeys clearly living in fear of him, and militia/insurgents in those zones being sponsored by him, and literally no-one else in the world.
                      Last edited by Golgo; 24-02-2022, 12:57.

Comment

I am. War is horrible. Regardless where it takes place or who is involved or whether it affects us directly, the devastation and suffering it creates is heartbreaking.

Comment

The US and UK assured Ukraine of its safety if they denuclearised after the fall of the Soviet Union. I feel like we aren’t really keeping up our end of the deal at the moment. I also feel like it would take practically nothing for Putin to launch nukes so I’m not really sure what I think should be done.

Comment

Even if you're a complete psychopath who places no value on human life, the indirect consequences will be massive. Oil and gas prices will shoot up, logistics around the including flight paths will be screwed (expect delays/higher costs), millions of people will be displaced and seeking asylum - and if Russia conquered Ukraine they'd be unlikely to stop there. At some point it will affect you, you can't opt out of war.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              The US and UK assured Ukraine of its safety if they denuclearised after the fall of the Soviet Union. I feel like we aren’t really keeping up our end of the deal at the moment. I also feel like it would take practically nothing for Putin to launch nukes so I’m not really sure what I think should be done.
                              To clarify, though, part of that treaty involved a non-aggression pact with Russia. That's why they've cooked up this whole "oh, wow, the people a bit further down the road really want us to be here, let's move a bit further down the road" ****show. It's disingenous in the extreme.

We kinda need to face up to the idea that Russia is a "failed state", no different to Libya. It suffered a collapse of its government under the weight of countless problems and the country is controlled by a complex web of a new aristocracy formed out of organised crime. Those people have no interest in democracy or fairness, no positive outlook for humanity; they've seen their country go through ~150 years of turmoil and they've carved out their bit of wealth and they'll do absolutely anything to keep it.

Let's say we go to war. Let's say we win, we "defeat" Russia. We topple Putin's government. Does the world get better? For the people of Ukraine, absolutely - but in a broader sense, if Russia becomes a vast wasteland of tribal anarchy, what comes next? And will it be better?

Can't the Russians just knock it the **** off?

EDIT: One thing. This is why we, in the UK, must passionately root out and punish corruption where-ever we see it, in both the public and the private sector. Once it takes hold, it's almost impossible to shift.
                              Last edited by Asura; 24-02-2022, 14:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

Or can we implement a feature where you can't see quotes from people on your ignore list?
                                They have this on the Gears forum. You still see the quote box and the name of the person they are quoting, but none of the quoted text is displayed.

Comment

Working...
                                X