America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    They did not blow up 56 Russian tanks, unless they were T34’s. Russias modern tanks are nothing to be sniffed at.

Comment

Comment

I originally thought that Kyiv would be overun in hours. Now, it seems that was a huge underestimation of the strength of Ukrainian people.

But reading reports and seeing videos, you now wonder if Putin underestimated what it would take to invade, underestimated the will of Ukraine, and overestimated how much Russian forces would want to fight this war. The tank that ran out of fuel video was a bit of a shock for me.

I really hope all countries continue to provide aid and Russian troops continue to burn out of the will to fight. Although the lies and propaganda by all sides is at fever pitch, I read that special foces from multiple countries not only helped train the Ukrainian forces before Russia's invasioin, but are still active in the battles. So we don't have boots on the ground from convential forces, but we do have special forces in operation. Except they're not like the Russian one's who've been captured or killed.

Let's hope this madness ends soon.

Comment

Comment

Comment

More reports of anti war protests gathering in pace in most major Russian cities.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                They did not blow up 56 Russian tanks, unless they were T34’s. Russias modern tanks are nothing to be sniffed at.
                It's 56 tanks.... Of fuel.
                Still smart though. More vehicles stranded.

Comment

The Ukrainians have NLAW. They can take out Russia’s strongest tanks no problem. Not saying they have but NLAW is designed to do that. Half a metre of armour is maximum which is a lot more than the top of a T-90 for example.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    I don't think there's even the slightest chance of any recovery for US politics anymore.
                    Yeah; it does feel that the US is on the way to major changes from which it can't easily return.

I know that in the 90s all these things existed to some degree. There were documentaries and such about the pockets of KKK and Nazis that still existed with an overt white supremacist attitude. But these were seen as scattered groups in the flyover states who had little sway outside their own communities, and it was believed these groups were gradually going to disappear over future generations.

I think at this point we can say that things have gone the other direction.

The country is so divided. I know people who live there who have said that everything today feels like a wedge issue. If they get asked to go to a party, they've got to ask themselves before hand if it's a "blue state or red state" kinda party.

Engagement-driven services like Facebook & YouTube play a part here, and anyone who uses the internet a great deal can see the amount of disinformation going on, and I think most of us have had brushes with sockpuppet accounts.

I think I've told this story before here, but a couple years ago someone, one of my friends as a prank "bought" around 250 followers for my Twitter from one of those illicit online services. I know this because they told me afterwards. I gained 250 followers in about 2 weeks (which is way higher than the average; for reference I have a few thousand over years of use, but then I've never tried to cultivate much of an audience).

But what surprised me the most was, browsing these fake people, just how rich and detailed they all were. They all had profile pictures, often photos. They had ages, birthdays, favourite sports teams, home towns. They had recent tweets about contemporary topics. There was absolutely no way to pick them apart from real people. In practice every thousand of them is probably "run" by one person who spends their time at a troll-farm in Russia posting on the different accounts.

Just look through any hashtag on Twitter which has the ability to be divisive; the main ones in the UK are transphobia. Look through the responses and the trending tweets, and remember you have absolutely zero way to confirm those people are real people, or paid actors, and I often suspect many of them aren't. It really only takes ~50 dedicated people to make those things seem like a big deal.

Comment

You can tell how fixated Putin is on a percentage of his viters, he looks like a class moron at every decision and move to everyone else

Comment

Just wait until Monday when the Russian markets collapse Putin.

Comment

Russian forces are being heavily repelled in Kharkiv. They haven't taken the city as the news likes to report.

'What we know now is that Russia is entering the city in small groups, on lighter military vehicles, and they are destroyed by the Ukrainian military. Some of the groups were already destroyed, they tried to get close to the city centre and we see many images of the destroyed Russian military vehicles'

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            Russian forces are being heavily repelled in Kharkiv. They haven't taken the city as the news likes to report.

'What we know now is that Russia is entering the city in small groups, on lighter military vehicles, and they are destroyed by the Ukrainian military. Some of the groups were already destroyed, they tried to get close to the city centre and we see many images of the destroyed Russian military vehicles'
                            This is where the mlaws will be used, get the lighter vehicles into urban environments and destroy the troops transport, then pick the infantry off with sniper and heavy machine guns from building cover.

This is really Ukraines only option, make the Russians pay so heavily with troops the second they enter a city that it just isn’t worth it. That leaves the Russians with the option of levelling all of Ukraine from a distance and genocide, at which point the west will declare full scale war and mobilise entirely.

Comment

Oh ****.

Putin, now in a corner, has now 'put it's nuclear forces on special alert.'

From the BBC and being reported elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X