United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stonehenge... is Welsh

And manslaughter charges are being considered following the death of a 62yr old woman on a smart motorway which meant she had no hard shoulder to pull over onto. Smart Motorways remain the focus of calls on them to be scrapped.

Comment

Why are they called smart motorways?

Comment

Because they use traffic management to determine speed limits and open/close the hard shoulder as a usuable lane (and it's this last bit that's causing the accidents).

Comment

I assume it's because someone was 'smart' in making themselves rich of such a stupendously dumb idea. It's current survival seems to rest mostly on those in charge wanting to wriggle out of the embarrassment and cost of removing them.

Comment

They don't have to remove them. Just turn off the inside lane. It's a few hundred lines of code tops.

Comment

I doubt the cost of removing them is anything more that setting the config to hardshoulderlane = false permanently so the traffic management doesn't use it for normal traffic. It's not like they need highway maintenance to go out put cones down the lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                The size of that erection...we knew all along.

Comment

Got that The Doors song in my head this evening as the UK breaks on through to the other side of 4 million cases - now standing at a cumulative total of 4,013,799 adding an additional 15,133 cases in today's reported figures (up about 2K on yesterday's numbers of 13,494).

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                    The size of that erection...we knew all along.
                    Proof there, and the fact the English came in and stole it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      Different viewpoint, my wife’s elderly cousin was admitted to hospital a few weeks ago after contracting covid, her funeral was last week.
                      Sadly I feel like this is more common
                      Girlfriend’s dad has a low immune system and basically won’t leave the house. Sensibly.

Comment

Johnson on video saying that

"The plan to ease lockdown will aim to be 'cautious but irreversible'"

WTF would you make it irreversible? Johnson says a lot of stupid stuff, but this has to be in the top ten.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

WTF would you make it irreversible? Johnson says a lot of stupid stuff, but this has to be in the top ten.
                          I'm assuming he's taking a cue from the film of the same name & if all goes wrong & we need another lockdown we can all smash him in with a Fire Extinguisher

Neil

Comment

It reads a bit different in the full context of all that he said. Even taking just the preceeding sentence or two. Maybe he missed out a 'not'. Maybe that's just me.

Boris Johnson says the government will set out its plans on 22 February, which could include target dates.

"
                            "There are still 23,000 or so Covid patients in the NHS - more than at the April peak last year - there are still sadly too many people dying of this disease; and rates of infection, although they are coming down, are still comparatively high.

"So we have got to be very prudent and what we want to see is progress that is cautious but irreversible. I think that is what the public, people up and down the country, want to see." "

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

The tory party are absolutely excellent at doing U-turns so I wouldn't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                                It reads a bit different in the full context of all that he said. Even taking just the preceeding sentence or two. Maybe he missed out a 'not'. Maybe that's just me
                                Or maybe Johnson is just a spaffer who just bluffs his way through everything to make it sound like he knows what he's talking about when really he hasn't got a clue.

Comment

Working...
                                X