United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    Or maybe Johnson is just a spaffer who just bluffs his way through everything to make it sound like he knows what he's talking about when really he hasn't got a clue.
    He doesn’t even sound like he knows what he’s doing let alone knows.

Comment

Johnson says things to appease people in the short-term, because he knows that when he does a U-turn later on, people just roll their eyes and moan for a day and it doesn't really come to anything.

Comment

He clearly means reversible. Luckily he has a job where being able to form sentences properly isn't important.

Comment

Actually, I dont think he means that at all. I think he means that they will be cautious so they don't have to go backwards and into lockdown again. It's a right flub as it made headlines though.

Comment

Doesn't he mean that progress (reduction in cases etc.) must be irreversible?

Comment

He might!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                Johnson says things to appease people in the short-term, because he knows that when he does a U-turn later on, people just roll their eyes and moan for a day and it doesn't really come to anything.
                This is Johnson's style of leadership, full stop, not just for Coronavirus.

He's lived such a privileged life of wealth, he leaves everything to the last minute, listening to the last person to give him advice, myopically lurching around to keep people happy in the short-term.

That works great in writing after-dinner speeches or newspaper columns, but steering a country through Brexit and a pandemic?

Comment

That too.

Tbh I wouldn't have even said a word had anyone else posted that...but usually you cut straight through the guff, not breathe it in or add to it.

I guess we'll see further what the plan is over the coming days as the inevitable leaks / hints / briefings before the 22nd emerge, and how cautious the gov will be in handling the growing clamour in virtually all quarters to ease this lockdown away (which I find frustrating, not surprising).

Spaffer, the message is 'Chodes..Need..Holidays'.

Comment

Another new variant found in the UK.

Comment

Not sure whether it's just a reflection of falling cases and vaccinations but testing seems to have fallen to the 400,000's

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        Not sure whether it's just a reflection of falling cases and vaccinations but testing seems to have fallen to the 400,000's
                        They're usually lower on the Mon/Tues, but have dropped a little

(Cols: Deaths accumulative, percentage deaths to infected, , daily deaths, daily positive, daily tests, percentage with +ve test) top item is Mon last week, bottom today's figures.

Comment

Nice, presumably we'll see them settle into the 7-8000 range in the coming weeks before another uptick via school reopening.

Comment

The more I read about potential opening time frames the more I realise that I 100% would not miss pubs & restaurants if they NEVER opened again

Apart from the poor bastard's that would be out of work the thought of ever setting foot inside either again just doesn't interest me at all

Neil

Comment

Many in that trade should take the consideration of shutting up shop, pubs and clubs were dying off before COVID so using it as a reason might look better than dragging it out till the eventual death rattle anyway. We have a corner in town with around 4 pubs/bars and in the last ten years I've lost count how many times they've closed down and been relaunched, it amazes me that anyone looks at a site and thinks "The last nine businesses here were pubs that failed, what this site needs is a new pub!"

Comment

Pubs themselves can be profitable if they're in a decent location, a major reason for the repeated failure of pubs is greedy PubCos and their "tied house" system where they gradually bleed a landlord dry with slim margins until they give up, then wait for the next sucker to roll up with a bank loan/lump sum/redundancy payment and a dream. The PubCo knows nobody will ever turn the place around, they just keep taking the money.

Comment

Working...
                                X