No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it’s in the link that NI posted. It’s a general plea to all countries who get their vulnerable groups vaccinated (not about any specific vaccine) to then help other countries, specifically poorer developing countries, get their vulnerable groups vaccinated. Does not seem unreasonable.

Comment

Ordinarily I'd say that it seems fair that some vaccines should go to more needy places, but given that our useless government have caused us to have one of the highest infection rates in the world then we are one of the needy places.

Comment

Yep, but you’re also one of the only countries saying that you’ll have your vulnerable groups all vaccinated in a very short time period. Your government is essentially striking you off that needy list. Bottom line is every country is needy right now. We all want out of this. But it’s going to be much harder for some of the poorer nations.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...lanka-75532989

I personally wouldn't have an issue with ensuring people more vulnerable than I am jumped the queue, even if that meant I'd have to wait a little longer, I see ensuring that particularly the world's health workers really need that protection more than I.

If the situation was reversed, the UK and its media would be screaming for other countires to give them up for just this reason.
          The UK certainly would, but I wouldn't expect anyone to comply, especially when so much of it has been self inflicted.

I wouldn't mind leaving it either, but I have it cushy compared to a lot of people. I doubt its a view shared by most.

I'm legitimately surprised to see another country help out.

-edit-
          I know I'm coming off as really cynical here, I just have no faith in humanity right now.
          Last edited by Cepp; 31-01-2021, 13:02.

Comment

As I say, it doesn't really matter either way, just being curious.

Covax - https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

"The vaccines pillar of the ACT-Accelerator, convened by CEPI GAVI and WHO, is speeding up the search for an effective vaccine for all countries. At the same time, it is supporting the building of manufacturing capabilities, and buying supply, ahead of time so that 2 billion doses can be fairly distributed by the end of 2021."

So it seems it's a nudge to those countries that have progressed well in their vac progs to remember / focus / start to come good on Covax and their promises immediately...as opposed to say waiting until September for a full(ish) adult population to be vaccinated and then Covax cramming for three months.

Totally fair.

Just the British pop will not stand for it, the gov won't have the will (or balls). I reckon a teeny tiny part of Joblot is tempted though. He'd love to be seen as some international, I dunno, moral hero, vaccine god, the buffoon with the goods and the good heart. Legacy.

A change like this though and we could go back to 3 week gaps as the trials have all recommended. Get all our top tiers fully dosed sooner. Still a big worry for me.

Comment

Does this February date for vaccinating all the vulnerable in the UK mean the full two doses or just the first?

Comment

The target is mid February, single dose, 15 million people offered a vaccine is what was promised: https://www.gponline.com/uk-covid-19...rticle/1705853

It's currently at about the half the 15 million with 2 weeks to go, meaning that they've got to do 450,000 ish a day.

Comment

Daughter has been selected selected as part of a random Gov/Mori trial for a test.

Comment

Actually the rate is nearer 414k a day, well, assuming mid Feb is up to and including the 14th. And assuming 15 million, although the gov would rather 13.9 / 14 million, and offer and accept / receive are different.

Latest reported data is up to 29/1, so 16 days to go (14.5 to come, 1.5 yet to be reported) , https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations - 6.621m to go, 414k per day, doable.

(My folks had their 1st jab yesterday, said it was a very slick operation in place, quick turnover, social distancing where possible, very positive!)

I was taken in by the mass 1st dose / 12 week delay, but that has passed, and I do think our next focus should be topping up those 15m sooner.

Edit - figures for 30th, just under 600k 1st dose, over 600k total including 2nd dose. Astonishing effort from so many people
                    Last edited by wheelaa; 31-01-2021, 15:10.

Comment

Yep, it'll come down to the single case scenario. If vaccinations were suspended it's inevitable there would end up being a story in the media about some 40 odd year old Dad or some such who dies from COVID and an angry family who blames the government saying if it weren't for them pausing vaccinations their Dad would still be alive. That single case scenario is far more important to vote seeking politicians than scores of elderly in a poorer country that's back of the line. That and it still drags out national restrictions, but it's by the by anyway. Little about the handling of the pandemic has shown much moral fibre or empathy for people on their own soil let alone another.

After the argument was settled Germany and France strike out alone against AZ threatening it with sanctions if it can't prove its distribution has been keeping the EU shipments in line with its agreement, the UK was contracted to receive the first 100m doses manufactured.

The UK hasn't ruled out allowing vaccine doses to be diverted but has said if the EU compromises UK deliveries at all then there's no chance they'll comply with the request to divert them.

Comment

Matt Hancock high on something as he believes we'll be able to enjoy a great and free British summertime.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1795425.html

Matt Hancock high on something as he believes we'll be able to enjoy a great and free British summertime.
                          Oh my its going to be an utter bloodbath, both figuratively and literally once the deaths rise yet again when people can’t behave themselves and simply MUST have their holiday, bunching up and ramming places out like retards.

Comment

Eat out to help out 2?

Comment

Sir Tom Moore gets a tiny fraction of the press coverage for being in hospital with Coronavirus than he did for walking up and down his garden.

Comment

The above article neglects to mention that he went on a family holiday to Barbados in December, all paid for by British Airways.

Comment

Working...
                                X