BPX057: A Godless State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPX057: A Godless State

So, after a run of these which have related to gaming or quite generalistic things I want to try taking the next few into much deeper territory, more of a social debate angle loosely based on real world events.

We've discussed religion on here before but I think one thing we should get out of the way before delving in is that this thread isn't going to be about our individual religious beliefs or lack of. Instead of talking about varying beliefs the subject for this thread is:

The rise of atheist or liberal views or attitudes in the first world reflects old religiously driven societal influences being worn down as attitudes change. Modern discussion relates heavily to the rights of individuals and the acceptance of others whether it's equality for women, the black lives matters movement, LGBT+ rights and treatment, victim abuse etc and in many cases much of the long standing attitudes that drive the positions people take are religiously driven.

We see change slowly creep in via various ways. Were families have moved to the country their children often grow up with increasingly westernised attitudes with each generation. Those with generations of family history in one country also have to deal with changing societal accepted norms that conflict with the beliefs that are instilled in them. The Church is constantly debating its stance on various matters, reviewing and changing what it does and doesn't condone or accept based on the texts it adheres to and the changing world around it.

The issue then arises two-fold:

1-If religious beliefs and stances etc can change over the course of twenty years then the amount of change that they would have gone through in thousands of years would make them unrecognisable in comparison to their origins.

2-If social attitude changes affect religion then much of how religious doctrine has been like in the past would be eroded by modern attitudes now and going forward.

So the question is, though religious beliefs will likely always exist, can the religions as we know them survive in the ever changing and individual rights driven modern world if adapting to those changes means undermining the belief structure of that religion?
    Religion Can't Survive in a Developed State
    0%
    I Don't Know
    0%
    Religion Can Survive in a Developed State
    0%

I think we've very much established that beliefs can trump facts, so yes it can survive.

Comment

I’d ban religion outright if possible. It’s at best an emotional crutch for people but is basically brainwashing. There’s no place for it in modern society and I can’t see how it can survive as it is incompatible with so many of the issues of our time.

Comment

IMO all religions are cults. They exist to line the wallets of their leaders, make people feel guilty, are inconsistent with the teachings of whatever holy text they subscribe to, have ABSOLUTELY zero evidence to back up what is preached. That said, I agree with Marty.

Comment

Up until about the 1500s there was no word for the colour orange. It was simply known as 'the colour betwixt red and yellow'. The colour existed, just no one ever questioned why it didn't have a name. It was only once the French imported Oranges that the name stuck.
          My point is that civilisation was incredibly simple minded back then. Ignorance is bliss. In that environment religion thrives.
          Where there is ignorance, there will always be religion.

Comment

Yes, but plenty of highly intelligent people also, inexplicably, believe in god. There will always be people who want to believe or who are too scared to contemplate the alternative and as long as those people are around, religions will survive.

Comment

Absolutely it can survive. It depends on patterns of thought and belief which are part of how human minds work. The idea of belonging to a group that has dogma, rituals, and supernatural or spiritual beliefs isn’t going anywhere.

Comment

I find it very strange how religion and progress were getting along just fine until Christianity came along, just look at the medical knowledge lost the Greeks & Romans made, then poof, nope can’t have that the new god we made up doesn’t like it.

Hypocrisy of the highest order religion full stop.

Comment

I think religion can exist in a developed state, but I don't think that we should force shops to close on Sunday based on a religion that I'd be confident in saying the vast majority of people don't even follow.

Comment

I’ve seen the difference ships being closed on a Sunday makes in Germany. You see lots more families out and about and loads of social gatherings you wouldn’t see over here. Although the drink and drugs culture over here probably doesn’t help.

Comment

Yeah, but did we see similar gatherings on a Sunday here before the shops could open on Sundays? It hasn't really been that long that they've been able to open in the grand scheme of things and I don't think it's made much, if any, difference.

Comment

True religion is an experience, not a belief, so regardless what changes society and culture go through, religion will always exist. The realisation that Jesus or Mohammed or the Buddha or Bodhidharma or Meister Eckhart or Dogen or Ashtavakra had is not different to the realisation that anyone, regardless of their faith or lack of, can have today. The error most people (both believers and non believers) make is believing that religion is a belief, a dogma, an idea, a sort of philosophy, but it is none of those things, indeed it is the exact opposite, it is the seeing through of all mind created phenomena. It's a realisation beyond all thought.

Comment

If there was one thread that would bring Zen Monkey back, it would be this one

Hello!

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                            True religion...it is none of those things
                            Just going to say right here that one of the big problems with religion over the centuries and the reason so many have suffered and died as a direct result and continue to do so to this very day is down to people having the audacity to think they can declare what any "true religion" is.

This is one of the illnesses at the core of most if not all religions.

Comment

True religion is controlling your population through fear they'll be eternally punished by not following the rules

Comment

Working...
                              X