The War in Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post

I can't help but wonder if this is gonna be the first chapter in a history book about some major future conflict.

What's the point of global governing bodies and defense pacts if we allow one nation to unilaterally annex another by force? (and to be fair, much of the US/UK's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan deserved scrutiny)
    With Russia approaching 450k troops KIA or permanently out of action the only answer is overwhelming force by literally everyone. Russia has proved they could care less about troops and will throw as many needed into the blender to get what it wants, then onto the next domino.

Ukraine have fought like lions, they really have it’s been beyond anything anyone expected (with help training them from the west) but they badly need a lot more troops, which they don’t have.

Russia will just continue to grind Ukraines troops down 1 by 1 and no amount of aid can fix that issue.

Comment

I imagine, despite the war talk, it will remain largely contained and Ukraine will ultimately pay the price by falling to Putin to some or all extent. Putin might look for another expansion target but I don't think it will get much further than that as Russia has exposed itself too heavily as a paper tiger. The fact that Ukraine is still out of his grasp years later shows just how ineffective Russia would be at picking a bigger fight. The current battle is now more about Putin saving face than anything else.

Comment

What's the point of global governing bodies and defense pacts if we allow one nation to unilaterally annex another by force? (and to be fair, much of the US/UK's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan deserved scrutiny)
        I think it's because Putin has nukes, if he didn't Ukraine would be a fully paid up member of NATO and we'd all be in there kicking his arse.

A lot of our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan were without merit, we (UK) basically drew up both countries on the map if I remember correctly from diverse groups which is why there will probably never be peace in both countries.

Comment

A successful Russian strike destroyed the Trypilska power plant, 50km south of Kyiv.

Comment

Relax - hit me with your laser beam;
            The defence secretary said the laser could be used to take down Russian drones as early as 2027.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post

I think it's because Putin has nukes, if he didn't Ukraine would be a fully paid up member of NATO and we'd all be in there kicking his arse.

A lot of our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan were without merit, we (UK) basically drew up both countries on the map if I remember correctly from diverse groups which is why there will probably never be peace in both countries.
              How come the UK has so much clout in this regard? I have been reading about Israel, which is a similar deal in that the UK essentially created it.

Comment

A German politician has been caught red handed taking brown envelopes from a known Russian propaganda agent.

Comment

Poland says its ready to host nuclear weapons for Nato

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post

How come the UK has so much clout in this regard? I have been reading about Israel, which is a similar deal in that the UK essentially created it.
                    Not really. Quite the opposite. The Israeli war of independence involved the violent overthrow of the British colonial regime that was in charge of the land, which was known as the British Mandate of Palestine. The generation who founded Israel had very strong anti-British feelings, which is often still the case with current day elderly Israelis.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                      In the case of Ukraine, I think we were heavily involved in their signing of an anti-nuclear-proliferation treaty, which was also about preserving peace with Russia.

Comment

The Senate, in a bipartisan super-majority, overwhelmingly voted to advance the measure, which Joe Biden is expected to sign

Comment

6 months too late, Ukraine has already lost the overall war. Unless NATO joins and pushes Russia out completely, it’s already far too late.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

6 months too late, Ukraine has already lost the overall war. Unless NATO joins and pushes Russia out completely, it’s already far too late.
                            This whole thing really threatens to undermine faith in organisations like the UN and NATO. How can Russia sit on the UN security council when they launched an invasive war against another sovereign nation? And to be clear, I apply similar consternation to the US/UK's illegal invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan too.

Comment

This whole thing really threatens to undermine faith in organisations like the UN and NATO. How can Russia sit on the UN security council when they launched an invasive war against another sovereign nation? And to be clear, I apply similar consternation to the US/UK's illegal invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan too.
                              Because they’re weak, stupid and corrupt. This should have been dealt with instantly, as much armaments as Ukraine could deal with, and wipe Russia out of the invaded country.

-Neighbouring anti air systems to keep Ukraines skies clear.
                              -Reaper drones.
                              -ac130 patrols.
                              -f35 patrols.
                              -Russia banned from the UN table permanently.

This is the exact scenario NATO was built for and it’s failed utterly, so should be disbanded really now.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 24-04-2024, 09:39.

Comment

French foreign legion being officially deployed to Ukraine, in limited numbers initially.

It seems France has given up waiting for NATO.

Comment

Working...
                                X