Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, I have heard it's a nice walk so was planning to do that. We were thinking of spending the rest of the day in the area near the museum, is there stuff to do/look at?

Comment

If memory serves, the Ghibli Museum isn't *that* big, but it's a lovely experience. There wasn't much else in the Mitaka area if I recall (with the exception of Inokashira Park perhaps), I vividly remember planning to visit the Bandai Museum after, before learning it'd closed down. >_<

The walk down there on a nice day is pleasant, with er... well... you'll see for yourself if you walk it.

It's well, well worth it though.

If you fancy travelling off the beaten path, then a visit to Nakano Broadway (a straight-walk from Nakano Station) is worth it. It's a haven for anime, gaming etc.
      Last edited by Bleeders; 14-08-2007, 12:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet View Post
        yeah, I have heard it's a nice walk so was planning to do that. We were thinking of spending the rest of the day in the area near the museum, is there stuff to do/look at?
        Not much really, no - it's a fairly quiet suburb (by Tokyo's standards). If i remember rightly there are some tennis, baseball and basketball practice courts and so on right next to the museum where the little park/forest is (you'll see them as you're walking to the museum). There's a main 'high street' of sorts near the station, which you could waste some time around but there's nothing particular noteworthy - definitely not a day's worth of activities. Oh, the shopping mall by (or rather that's part of) the station has a pretty amazing delicatessen - it's either on the ground or first floor, can't remember exactly.
        Last edited by suicidepirate; 14-08-2007, 12:44.

Comment

Cheers for the replies, reckon we will stroll down enjoy the musuem then head back into town, after eating at the deli.

Comment

I've done the walk to the Ghibli Museum too, and would recommend it.

We were there in spring, with light drizzle, and it was still an enjoyable walk down. The weather cleared up by the time we arrived too

As people have said, not much else to do, we only spent half a day around Mitaka. The museum is really geared up for kids, but there was still plenty of exhibits to keep an adult entertained for half a day as well. I wish the place was bigger though, so they didn't have to keep rotating films in the upstairs studio and just keep everything out at once. It makes sense though, kids would become bored by too much of that.

Comment

hello people!

just to let you know i am now in japan! loving it so far been to shinjuku roppongi and asauka! however finding it hard to find a decent nightclub to go to can someone please recommended one? are there any that do rock? also is there a strict dress code? or can i get in with shirt shoes and three quarter length trousers? i dont have any jeans! is this a big deal?

thanks for all your advice so far been really useful!

Comment

Gas Panic in Shibuya seems to be a popular place amongst Westerners, mate.

Comment

Ageha is cool bus ride from Shibuya but not rock music I'm afraid, There are some rock clubs around think it's called Shibuya X or something where all the rock bands go to play gigs. There are some small clubs around I think that are quite cool. Don't think Japan is to big on dress code for clubs unless it's a posh place. When I've been out anywhere I wore jeans and trainers mate.

Comment

Originally posted by W1p30uT View Post
                    Thanks for the advice guys, I have got my money and travelers cheque sorted. Just two days before I go now! However the one thing that still bugs me is the seat reservation for the Narita express train on the site it has:

"Reservations can be made one month in advance. Please inquire at JR Reservation Ticket Offices, View Plaza (Travel Service Centers), JR East branch offices, or major travel agencies."

Does this mean I can phone my local travel agent and get a reservation? Is this really a big deal or can I just buy a ticket when I get to the airport and jump on the next train that comes?

I just did this the last trip - though if you're staying at a hotel that you can take the Limo bus to, I'd recommend that instead.

You can walk down to the subway tracks in Narita airport and a nice Japanese woman in a cute uniform and hat will happily walk you through the process of buying a ticket into Tokyo Station, from whence you can transfer to pretty much anywhere in Tokyo.
                    Last edited by BaudAttitude; 23-08-2007, 06:49. Reason: I see you're already there and have presumably gone through this, but maybe it will be of use to someone else.

Comment

I just got back to Hong Kong from a 5 day visit to Tokyo and Hakone.

First off, big disapointment was Akihabara. Went looking for retro stuff and local indy shops but the only ones I found were crap with no stuff older than PS1. Yodobashi and Bic Camera (in Shinjuku) were fine except that I can't get the Yodobashi theme tune out of my head now

Didn't buy much as it is just as cheap in HK. Was really looking for retro and rare stuff only so no joy.

2 hightlights for me about the trip though. One was crossing the busiest pedestrian crossroads in the world in Shibuya and secondly was the Japanese babes on show. Totally gobsmacked by how many gorgeous girls there are - especially in Summer clothes

Great place and everything is just so polite and clean compared to London. We have a big lesson to learn from Japanese with regards to respect for others and your surroundings.
                      Last edited by Mr Ono; 24-08-2007, 15:30.

Comment

major bumpage.

echo the above sentiments about politeness and cleanliness in tokyo. I have 5 more days left in Tokyo before heading off to discover other parts of the country. I've been here for about 2 weeks or so already and I still feel like there is so much to do. I reckon I'll have to come back some time. Also that hachi-ko crossing in shibuya...I was so impressed by it that I had to get my camera out and film it. It's literally like running the gauntlet of japanese fashionistas.

Comment

I went to Chiba recently in Japan, the Tokyo Game Show and made a video:

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, t...

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                            Didn't buy much as it is just as cheap in HK. Was really looking for retro and rare stuff only so no joy.
                            Slightly off topic but is Hong Kong still a good place for gaming ie shops and arcades? I went there about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it, plus you can get mega cheap flights now so i'm tempted to go back. Ultimatly though i really want to go to Japan but it just seems too expensive for me at the moment.

Comment

Slightly off topic but is Hong Kong still a good place for gaming ie shops and arcades? I went there about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it, plus you can get mega cheap flights now so i'm tempted to go back. Ultimatly though i really want to go to Japan but it just seems too expensive for me at the moment.
                              i assume it is - i have a number of good friends there who still rate the place highly for games shopping. I went there in 96 and it was predominately about "W@r3Z" rather than legit softs. A number of people i know have returned there recently with hacked Wii`s so i guess it is all down to what you are looking for, however the wife went there on business and returned with a bundle of very well priced asian X360 software so i assume the scene is still good (nathan road area)

Comment

Nathan Rd was well expensive last I checked. There is a computer superstore near one of the stations (name escapes me - google it) that was reasonable. Not amazing though.

Comment

Working...
                                X