Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footballers should be allowed to go out, have a drink and enjoy themselfs, but they shouldnt put people in hospital, just like no one else should for that matter.

Having said that you cant really ban someone from playing football becuase he had a fight in a bar, its like me going out, knocking someone out and then when I go to work the next day my boss tells me im suspended without pay, it wouldnt happen would it?

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
      Footballers should be allowed to go out, have a drink and enjoy themselfs, but they shouldnt put people in hospital, just like no one else should for that matter.

Having said that you cant really ban someone from playing football becuase he had a fight in a bar, its like me going out, knocking someone out and then when I go to work the next day my boss tells me im suspended without pay, it wouldnt happen would it?
      Gerrard's been arrested in connection with the incident, there's nothing (yet) to suggest he had anything to do with the assault, surely?

Also, the majority of people, if they were to be arrested and charged over a criminal matter, would more than likely find themselves sacked by their employer. Its unlikely LFC would do anything in any case, bar a slap on the wrists for Gerrard.

Comment

Still hasn't been released. Can't see him being kept this long without charge. A guy's been put in hospital, that's looking at GBH, if he's charged for that, it's a jail sentence.

That said, speculation is pointless until details are officially released. Would be interesting to compare it to how Barton was treated.

Comment

I can't imagine Gerrard would have been directly involved in any fracas, to be honest. I would guess he's been dragged into it somehow, a fuss about nothing when you think of how many pissed-up idiots glass each other every single weekend in this country.

Still, it's a great opportunity for the media to vent some bitterness and get this out in the open, just as Liverpool begin to stretch their advantage, try and take us down a peg or two, eh?

Comment

Bloody hell, this has made the ITN news and Gerrard is still in custody? LOL

Comment

You can go 24 hours before the police either have to charge you or bail you or set you free without charge.

Either way he has a bit time of to run that down yet. We all know Police sometimes like to abuse their power when it comes to public figures too. The recent Tory scandal is one example.

If Gerrard has been involved in any kind of altercation he is just as stupid as I've always thought he was. Also I imagine a court would take the kind of abuse Gerrard gets from opposing fans every week into consideration, to show he wouldn't just lash out, if there is no damning evidence against him. So he'd prolly get something like community service.

This, of course, is all speculation until he is charged or not.

Comment

**** it's all over

Comment

Rafa will not be pleased at all whatever has happened. 230 in the morning? He should have been at home. What an idiot. I doubt he was as deeply involved in any violence as the present england captain was found to be as he is not as violent but he has got homself into a very stupid situation even if he did nothing wrong.

I thought gerrard was still on when we got the pen - my mistake.

Comment

He's been charged with assault and affray

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

I'd have thought a married father of two would have no business out drinking into the early hours, but what the hell do I know?

Comment

I think its a bit stupid to say that fellas married and who have kids aren't allowed out late at night to have a drink :/

My opinion is if you're a professional footballer on of your main things to consider is your fitness. So you dont go out on the lash at all.

Anyway, he has been charged, I imagine he'll have tons of lawyers looking over every tiny bit of evidence and police work to get him out of trouble. He is an idiot and he should be stripped of the club captaincy if found guilty.

Comment

He could have been drinking Diet Coke's all night for what we know.

/waits for someone to find a pic of him holding a pint.

Comment

Regardless of what he was drinking. Being out late night in the middle of the season at a nightclub isn't the kind of example a captain should be setting to his team mates and also the youngsters at the club.

And obviously, this story highlights exactly the problems with going out to clubs when you're a celebrity. You cant legislate for idiots who want to fight. Of course, it could have been Gerrard who threw the first punch. That'd be funny.

Comment

A Q&A taken from a decent unofficial LFC site...

What happened?

Police officers arrested Steven Gerrard and 5 other men following an alleged row over music in the Lounge Inn, Southport.

Where and what is the venue?

The Lounge Inn is on Bold Street, Southport. It is best described as a trendy, glamorous venue. Good food is on offer in the restaurant and you can enjoy a late drink as the downstairs dining area is converted into an extension of the bar later in the evening.

Why was Gerrard arrested?

A formal complaint was made against him.

Was he charged?

Yes he was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm (ABH) and affray. But that doesn't mean that he is guilty of either of the offences. Basically the police feel they have enough evidence to warrant charges but they now have to prove his guilt in court, Gerrard doesn't have to prove his innocence.

Was anyone else charged?

Yes. John Doran, 29, and Ian Smith, 19 years, both from Huyton, also with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray.

Did anyone get hurt?

Yes. A 34-year-old local man called Marcus McGee lost a tooth and needed four stitches to a head wound following the incident.

Who is Marcus McGee?

It is reported that he's a 34-year-old DJ who allegedly clashed with Gerrard by pushing him in the chest following an alleged row over music. Various reports then claim that Gerrard allegedly caught McGee with his elbow and a fracas broke out involving others. Eye witnesses say they never saw Gerrard throw any punches. It is claimed that Marcus McGee is a Manchester United supporter. There is no proof as yet that McGee or Gerrard did anything wrong.

Was Gerrard drunk?

An independent witness, John Watts, whos daughter was celebrating her 35th birthday at the venue, said: "When Steven Gerrard found out it was my daughter's birthday he bought her a bottle of champagne. He seemed in very good spirits. He wasn't drunk at all. It was a really civilised occasion in a middle-class bar."

Shouldn't Gerrard have been in bed, he is after all a professional footballer?

No. He had permission from Liverpool Football Club to attend a venue not known for trouble. According to at least one independent witness, he wasn't drunk. Admittedly nobody wants to see a Liverpool player caught up in any trouble but these situations often find professional footballers when trying to mind their own business. Jealousy and bitching is common, so too is aggrivation from rival supporters.

What happens next?

The three men charged are due before North Sefton magistrates on January 23rd.

What is Affray?

These websites will explain it much clearer than we could attempt to

* Wikipedia (Affray explained)

* The Online Court (Procedure, sentencing etc)

What is ABH?

These websites will explain it much clearer than we could attempt to

* Wikipedia (ABH explained)

* The Online Court (Procedure, sentencing etc)

Did he do it?

We have no idea and it's certainly not for us to speculate and neither should you.

Why didn't Liverpool Football Club issue a statement when Gerrard was arrested?

They didn't know the facts, just like the police didn't. There was also, and still is, an ongoing criminal investigation. Liverpool Football Club will comment if they feel the need to. A man also received hospital treatment and he could be an innocent victim himself.

Is Rafa mad about it all?

He could do without it but that doesn't mean that he isn't supportive of the player. Steven will be supported by the club, KopTalk and other supporters, he is after all still an innocent man. It is now in the hands of the Police, the Crown Prosecution Service and the Courts.

Comment

Sounds like a good summary of events, don't see what the big deal is with him going out late one night six or seven days before his next game.

Comment

Working...
                                X