Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me he comes across as an instinctive goal poacher rather than an intelligent player. So with that, as form comes and goes, he tends to have a hard time when he has dips in form. I think that's why he wasn't fancied at Spurs. Though he was pretty good at Charlton wasn't he?

Comment

Bent's an odd player, because he was good at Charlton (31 goals in 68 games) yet quite poor at Spuz (18 in 60). Maybe he didn't get on with the management teams, maybe he felt too under pressure from the fifteen big money strikers or whatever they had there? It seems like it was a mental thing - feeling undervalued and/or under pressure if he didn't come up with the goods instantly?

But in the more relaxed atmosphere at Sunderland, where he's so high profile that he'll get a game until his performances lose him his place, and squad rotation doesn't really exist, he seems to be flourishing. This seems to suggest that if a manager gives him a feeling of self- and team-worth, he can cope with a certain amount of pressure. He's expected to be the club goalscorer and commands a reasonable transfer fee, and has met the challenge so far.

I read that at Spuz he was often used more as a target man, which isn't his role - maybe that accounts for his skankness? And I'm sure I saw at stat on sky sports news (amongst all the good stats eye candy, mmm) that over the last few years he's the second top English goalscorer in the Premier League, behind Rooney. Not bad when you consider he's had such a rough time of it and played in lesser sides (no offence, Spuz fans, but playing for Man U and their wealth of creative talent puts Rooney at a distinct advantage in that respect.)

As a Mackem, I'm just hoping a more relaxed Bent playing his natural game continues to bag the goals.

Comment

I think Prinny summed Bent up perfectly there. He is one of those who needs to feel important. He is a decent striker who can flourish in a decent team. Better off with less pressure. Look at Heskey at Wigan.

Comment

Great shift from our players today. Torres goal was sublime. Shrugged off some of the best in the business in style. Best team won and in style in the end. Hopefully we'll be inspired to keep it up.

Comment

What a win! How much was that needed!!!

Comment

Well done to Liverpool, a great performance there.

Comment

I wonder if "He who knows nothing about Football" AKA Team Andromeda will acknowledge that Lucas actually had a good game?

Comment

Lucas did play well actually. Fair enough, though the pundits on the radio aren't mentioning anything. He gets slated but never praised.

I thought Carra and Agger played a blinder, and some crunching tackles in the last few minutes too.

Was odd to see Owen and Carra in that challenge stating their claim for the tackle, seeming as they are bezzy mates.

Comment

Having a good game doesn't make him any less of a bad player though.
                    I missed the Carra yellow card though. Some say it was some say it should have been red. Will be interesting to see Sir Alex respond but either way Liverpool were better.

Comment

Initially, I thought the Carra/Owen incident looked like they were both at it. Mascherano was very unlucky to get his second yellow as he was blocking a clearance and then quickly pulled his legs in.

Lucas did have a very good game. To be honest, he is improving, but very slowly. I still think he's very lucky to be wearing a Liverpool shirt, but at the moment, I don't see who else we could play. Going to be interesting to see where Aquilani will play. I really hope Rafa doesn't still want to play with two holding mid-fielders. We just need one!

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        Having a good game doesn't make him any less of a bad player though.
                        That's just it, though - he isn't a bad player. Not by a long way.

His box-to-box and short passing game isn't at all suited to the deep-lying Midfield playmaker role (see Xabi Alonso) that Rafa is constantly asking him to play.

Comment

Well played to your lot today no complaints at all with the result and to be fair the chaces you lot created first half scoreline could have been worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            I wonder if "He who knows nothing about Football" AKA Team Andromeda will acknowledge that Lucas actually had a good game?
                            No I thought Beach Boy was rubbish myself , even said Liverpool would win , how's that for knowing nothing .
                            Still thats the highlight of Liverpool season these days, winning over Man Utd
                            Been there for man years with Wales winning over the English at Rugby , still didn't cover up the fact that the squad was sh8t and so was the manager for most of those years.

Liverpool aren't going to win any Title

Comment

And like that, King Turd has left the thread

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                No I thought Beach Boy was rubbish myself , even said Liverpool would win , how's that for knowing nothing .
                                Still thats the highlight of Liverpool season these days, winning over Man Utd
                                Been there for man years with Wales winning over the English at Rugby , still didn't cover up the fact that the squad was sh8t and so was the manager for most of those years.

Liverpool aren't going to win any Title
                                (*yawn*)

Just what I'd expect from someone who didn't actually watch the game.

Once again, Team Andromeda AKA he who knows nothing about Football proves that....

He knows nothing about Football.

Simples.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 25-10-2009, 15:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X