X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
    What did Damien Duff do?!
    Paid them back in kind?

I imagine that him and Owen will be made out to be scapegoats.

Comment

I think the entire team can be made out to be scapegoats. The fans are brilliant and the team let them down. They looked toothless today when everything was riding on it, absolutely pathetic. Shearer is right, they need an almost total revamp and there are very few players I'd keep if I were him.

When you have a midfield made up of Butt and two Bolton rejects (Nolan and Guthrie..and bare in mind I'm a Bolton fan so I don't say that lightly) you have serious issues. Duff at left back? Viduka...playing...at all?

I thought at the time that Shearer taking the job was the most stupid thing he'd ever done, and I stand by that, though I think he'll be the manager next season.
      Last edited by Jebus; 24-05-2009, 18:09.

Comment

I've never really liked Shearer that much but I thought he was very good in his post match interview, totally straightforward and not trotting out any excuses.

Comment

Newcastle had some good players on paper though, Martins, Coloccini, Duff, Owen.. such players shouldn't allow a team to relegate I think. But then again most PL sides are really strong (for our standards anyway ;D). FUBAR'd with 6+5 rule though.

But whats up with Owen anyway, the guy used to be a superstar. Nowadays only his paycheck shows that status. Too many injuries took its toll?

Comment

Certainly seems like it. Even when he moved to Madrid he was still scoring goals but once he got injured again at the World Cup in 2006 he just hasn't been the same. A few years ago all the top clubs would be all over him but now none of them would even think about signing him.

Comment

I was there to see Villa beat them.

Newcastle was poor today, they didn't even try to score in last 10 minutes.

Newcastle need to get rid of big names and have a shake up and stability. 4 managers in one season is not the way.

I think Mike Ashley had regret his investment.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
                Certainly seems like it. Even when he moved to Madrid he was still scoring goals but once he got injured again at the World Cup in 2006 he just hasn't been the same. A few years ago all the top clubs would be all over him but now none of them would even think about signing him.
                I think his motivation has been sapped by Newcastle's decline too, he must be wondering what the hell happened to go from Liverpool and Madrid to a team that was struggling to make the top ten in the league.

I think he gave up at Madrid too easily as well. His goals to minutes on the pitch ratio there was great and I think he would have forced his way into a regular starting place if he'd stuck with it. I'm sure he'd have still made the England squad for the World Cup even if he wasn't playing every single game there.

Comment

So desperate was he to play in the World Cup, he joined Newcastle even if it wasn't his first choice - Liverpool were and he cried when he didn't get his wish to rejoin them. Of course, the money Newcastle offered him (over a £100k a week) was a factor.

Comment

Owen made bad career choice and he have to live with this. Have he won anything as a player ?

Comment

Quite a few cups with Liverpool, no league titles though.

Comment

He won a Balon D'or. Raul wasn't impressed, jealous even.

Comment

Owen has burnt out, he's clearly not as quick or sharp as he was as a young player. I don't think motivation has that much to do with it.

When talking about motivation though, it's important to remember that you're looking at players who've experienced the high life (especially with Owen and Duff) and haven't really had to fight for survival before.

You can critisize an individual for not trying but if you've an entire squad that's unhappy, disorgonised and unmotivated, it's the manager who's failing. Prime example is Chelsea. Under Scolari they looked utterly miserable and consistently played some of the worst football I've ever seen as a Chelsea fan. Look at how they've been under Hiddink, played strong football, are in the FA cup final and by all rights deserved the champions league final (it wasn't actually possible under him to top the league). Lampard and Terry are two incredibly driven, passionate players who really put the work in, when they look as sloppy and slovenly as they did under Scolari, something was clearly deeply wrong with the management.

Getting sidetracked but the tldr: one player underperforming = player, lots underperforming = management/coaching

Comment

Thing is Newcastle have been round the block when it comes to managers.

Comment

Mate told Owen didn't even get a touch of the ball in the last ten minutes, is this true? (I've been out all day).

Real reality check for Newcastle players and (majority of) fans alike. Losing a few of their money-grabbing players before the new season won't do them any harm.

Comment

Owen had one touch on MOTD, a well placed header to Ameobi. Owen is still a good player v- he was great at the tail end of last season, and also at the start of this. He can still play, and has a good shots to goal ratio - he just does not get many chances at all.

Smurfy is partly right though, when you have a whole team, basically, of underperformance - it seems unfair to blame individuals. They have some talented players that have done well at other clubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X