Summer 2009 Transfer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Owen. Shouldn't of left the redmen

I'm bricking it at the moment. Reckon a massive chunk of our midfield is about to go walkies. Alonso and Mascherano Personally, I don't think I would be happy selling them for loads of money because I cannot think of who else to get in. I think it's out of Rafa's hands too as both players sound like they want to play for the big Spanish sides.

Comment

It's all about the lifestyle and the generous taxes. Maybe they see Real Madrid and Barcelona as bigger fry.

Comment

Originally posted by glazza View Post
        Thing is with Owen when he is fit of course that he is one of the best box players around and has that knack of knowing where the ball is going to drop or wether to dart nr post,far post stay central or fool the defenders by quickly pulling out on them for cut backs an d in a team like UTD who create chances for fun a fully fit M,Owen would be on the end of most things in the pen area for sure.If its a free transfer then hes well worth a gamble and if Fergie can get him half nr his best then he would a huge asset for us as we havnt had a top class box finisher since Cole/Nistelrooy and god knows weve been crying out for one for a good number of seasons now and he has shown in the past that hes a good foil for Rooney with England,but its his fitness that will be the big issue but i cant see him playing every game anyways so think hes well worth a gamble on a Freebie..
        Definitely agree with all that. If the wages were right then I'd have no problem with Spurs taking a free transfer gamble on him. Don't think we'd have quite enough lure if Man Utd got involved though (unless we tell him that becoming a Spurs player means you're bound to get a go at Danielle Lloyd at some point).

I just thought it would be amusing if, after all the talk of him being finished, linked with the likes of Hull and Stoke (no disrespect), being laughed at because of his sales brochure, he ends up back at one of the biggest clubs in the world

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
          Poor Owen. Shouldn't of left the redmen

I'm bricking it at the moment. Reckon a massive chunk of our midfield is about to go walkies. Alonso and Mascherano Personally, I don't think I would be happy selling them for loads of money because I cannot think of who else to get in. I think it's out of Rafa's hands too as both players sound like they want to play for the big Spanish sides.
          Yeah Hools thats the problem init,its the lack of quality players available or even doing the rounds to replace what you have lost right now,and that goes for all clubs.

Comment

Owen going to Man U...

I think he'd happily sit on the bench, however it's when he comes off the bench which would be questionable. To me, he's a burnt out player who should be looking at going to America, finishing off his career as a star playing easy football.

Comment

Maybe he can rediscover his best form if he can stay injury free. It's either that or he can continue his journey on the fast train down the ****ter. Like Kluivert and the Brazillian Ronaldo before him?

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                Owen going to Man U...

I think he'd happily sit on the bench, however it's when he comes off the bench which would be questionable. To me, he's a burnt out player who should be looking at going to America, finishing off his career as a star playing easy football.
                Can see where you are coming from Smurfy but like i already said if you can get the lad half fit and fireing and in a better qualty team and playing him where hes alwayd been at his best up top just of the shoulder of the defence then he would be a real asset specialy on a free,plus he wont play all games anyway and i just feel at top end club with the right coaching and fitness training he would be well worth a punt cos in front of goal a fit M.Owen in a top team would no doubt deliver.
                Last edited by glazza; 02-07-2009, 20:52.

Comment

If (big if mind) Fergie can make Owen play to his strengths and work on getting his speed back this could work out for United (sigh) and more importantly England; imagine it’ll do our world cup chances no harm if Fergie gets Owen and Rooney playing well together.

Originally posted by Kongster View Post
                  It's either that or he can continue his journey on the fast train down the ****ter. Like Kluivert and the Brazillian Ronaldo before him?
                  Come on, you can’t throw Ronaldo in there with Kluivert. He’s probably the best player ever to play the game.

Comment

What I was getting at was that they both started going down the ****ter a bit too soon, wasted talents. The Ronaldo in his Barca days is definitely up there with the very best to ever play the game for sure.
                    Last edited by Kongster; 02-07-2009, 21:21.

Comment

IMO, Owen and Rooney never played well together. Michael Owen of old used to suit playing on the shoulder of the last defender, but has lost the pace he needs to do that with any real success.

What I cant deny though is that if he is given chances he will score. Which is something at a top club you always get. He wont be the nuisance to defences he used to be, but he'll always be lurking for that goal opportunity, be it a header or tap in.

It'll be interesting what comes of this. Also, on the Alonso/Mascherano situation, I dont think both will leave. I'm hoping we can keep both but I think its more than likely one will go. If we do lose both we're in big big trouble regardless of the cash being waved about.

Comment

Unless you're Madrid, right now, having a lot of cash isn't getting anyone any players. No big signings for United, none for Chelsea. City can't even get in Eto'o after offering him an apparent £250k a week after tax!

Comment

Does anyone else think the Owen move to Man United smacks of desperation

Don't get me wrong, i have posted on here and the Man U thread that i thought we should have signed him last season for ?1m. If he can regain decent fitness, he's 20+ a season. He's only 29 for crying out loud. He has a good 4 years left yet.

For free and ?50k a week, he could either be the bargain of the century and an inspired signing or a total egg on face fiasco which could leave Fergie looking a plonker who couldn't entice a world class forward to United.

I hope its the former

Comment

Owen is a great player. Yes, I used the present tense. I would be gutted if this happened, he would lose all love in Liverpool too.

He was fantastic for Newcastle under Keegan - lots of goals and great play - and then the team played so badly. Check out his record at NUFC and think about what a bad team he was in and how much of that time he was not fully fit. The most underrated player in the country.

Comment

One of the laws of football is that all strikers who sign for Newcastle are permanently injured. Just as all keepers who sign for Liverpool get worse and worse (see James, Westerveld, Dudek) although Reina is still good.

Comment

Have you seen some of the goals the real Ronaldo scored this season? I know it's only the Brazilian league, but he still looks a fantastic player to me, even if he is 2 stone over-weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X