Arsenal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of them have been good buys.

The fact is you cannot say that, as this simple stat analysis does, that spending £3.75m on a midfielder now is the same as breaking the transfer record for a midfielder. That was a greater amount of cash (in football terms) than the £35m they spent on Carrick and Hargreaves imo. Usually, if you pay top top whack, you will get a top top player. The risk is greatly minimised (exception = Stan Collymore in terms of record breakers).

Comment

Well i have a new answer guys,

Since Sept 1996 Wenger has spent 184 million, compared to fergusons 538 million!!! In terms of points, Wenger has accumulated 904 points, compared to fergusons 947.

So as you can see, as much as it pains me to say it, furguson has spent crazy amounts, but can any arsenal fan claim that if that amount of money had been available to wenger he wouldn't have spent it?

Comment

Originally posted by AaronBekir View Post

Since Sept 1996 Wenger has spent 184 million, compared to fergusons 538 million!!! In terms of points, Wenger has accumulated 904 points, compared to fergusons 947.

So as you can see, as much as it pains me to say it, furguson has spent crazy amounts, but can any arsenal fan claim that if that amount of money had been available to wenger he wouldn't have spent it?
        Wenger's always stated that he'll never pay over the odds for players, regardless of ability. Arsenal have a decent sized transfer kitty, but I guess Wenger won't go out and buy global superstars for fear of it disrupting the development of our youngsters.

So no, he has the money but wont spend it.

Comment

Yikes! Where'd you get that £584m figure from, as The Sun stats had it as £250m less over a much longer period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by johnno15 View Post
            You clown thats no utd fans view well no real utd fan anyway. Its just a game sure the gunners petulance is laughable and aggravates me constantly but there is no way you can look at an incident like this in the same eyes.
            Youre right, there is a difference, Arsenal players actualy try to break peoples legs, where as what happened to Eduardo was an accident.

Comment

To be fair to Ferguson, it is only the success that Man U have had under him that has made them into the rich club they are today. Their first title success coincided with the formation of the Premiership and having won the first two titles, they were in the best position to reap the rewards of the globalisation that followed in the coming years.

That, combined with the fact that they had a large historical standing and one of the bigger stadiums allowed them to make far more money that most of the other Premiership teams were able to in those early years and they gained big from speculating to accumulate in the first couple of Premiership seasons.

If Arsenal had a stadium the size of the Emirates when they first won the title then they would easily be up there as one of the richest clubs and would be able to justify spending the sort of money that Man U do on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                Youre right, there is a difference, Arsenal players actualy try to break peoples legs, where as what happened to Eduardo was an accident.
                So Roy Keane never tried to hurt anyone?
                Last edited by neoboy259; 29-02-2008, 17:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                  Yikes! Where'd you get that ?584m figure from, as The Sun stats had it as ?250m less over a much longer period of time.
                  on my phone, theres a messaging service with a footie guy, the gaffer, so i asked the question since wenger has been with arsenal, how much has each manager spent (so it just covers the last 11 years) and that was his answer.

wenger - 184million
                  ferguson - 538million

id say its quite possible, when you think....

rooney - 30million
                  veron - 28million
                  ferdinand - 30million
                  van nistlerooy - 19million
                  hargreaves - 17million
                  carrick - 18million

thats 150ish million just there, so think about all the smaller buys he has done, and all the flops.

aaron

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                    When has an Arsenal player tried to break someone's legs?

Well, excluding every tackle Eboue ever makes anyway, but he doesn't count because he's a moron.

Comment

on my phone, theres a messaging service with a footie guy, the gaffer, so i asked the question since wenger has been with arsenal, how much has each manager spent (so it just covers the last 11 years) and that was his answer.

wenger - 184million
                      ferguson - 538million

id say its quite possible, when you think....

rooney - 30million
                      veron - 28million
                      ferdinand - 30million
                      van nistlerooy - 19million
                      hargreaves - 17million
                      carrick - 18million

thats 150ish million just there, so think about all the smaller buys he has done, and all the flops.

aaron
                      Nah mate, I think he's way off. I'd actually trust The Sun on this one :wink: ?400m on smaller buys and flops? This isn't Chelsea you know!

Maybe there's a website out there that lists all this stuff.

Comment

Quick Google, and got this:

Biggest net spenders on transfers in the six seasons to 2002: Man Utd (pounds 99m), Leeds (pounds 91m), Chelsea (pounds 84m), Liverpool (pounds 81m) and Tottenham (pounds 53m). Arsenal's net spending was pounds 24m, less than Manchester City's.
                        That £500m in ten years would means Man Utd have spent £400 in 5 years. Which obviously is not the case.

Comment

Anyway onto the game today.

I think we'll see a great reaction. I was initially unsure but with the great attitude of Edu and the performance in the second half last week I think it may have the right effect on the boys.

It'll be a tough game but I think we'll be in the right frame of mind for it.

Comment

Hope you're right, can see us dropping points tbh. Martin O' Neill has a good track record against us. Villa like to play football so hopefully it'll be a good game, with us carving them open

Comment

Its funny thinking about Arsene's more recent comments. I always think that he's better off just not saying anything as it just gives all the xenophobic BBC and Sky pundits more ammunition.

Listening to the Sky lot today though it does put what he says into perspective.

They probably spent a good 2 minutes talking about the challenge, and then most of the rest of the time talking about Gallas. Surely dealing with that sort of challenge and highlighting it and looking at how the FA can deal with it better is more important than the petulance of a passionate Frenchman? Not according to Sky. Then what with that utter arse Lawrenson single handedly trying to convince Wenger to drop Gallas as captain all week. It puts Arsene's seemingly conspiracy theory like comments into some perspective.

I think we''l be fired up to win today if nothing else and with Villa's poor record in defence and the amount of away goals they have scored it could be a cracker.
                              Last edited by B1gBeard; 01-03-2008, 12:16.

Comment

TBH I dont know how the FA can deal with these type of tackles.

Course, if it was Rooney or Gerrard who suffered that type of injury 4 months before a major international championship, as opposed to Johnny Foreigner who helped dump his adopted league's national side out at the qualifying stage................

Comment

Working...
                                X