The Official Rest of the Premier League Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    And yet the country that started the slip and we sue , never calls a NFL game off for SNOW or ICE (or one has to scrape the barrel to find one) That's despite the 75,000 plus that went to watch Buffalo alone in loads of Snow , and I watched that on the TV and it pissed down with the white stuff
    I don't see the relevance at all to be honest. There's plenty of things the USA don't get right. They have no healthcare service to speak of but hey, at least we get to see FOOTBALL!!!!!11111111

When ? , Next week FA CUP replays are already in doubt This country is a pathetic joke . The weather been here for ages , we've had plenty of time to get the Stadium and pitches ready .
    I'm willing to bet that many of the Retail parks close to or part of our Football Stadium these days , won't be closing for business
    Who cares, they will get played at some point. It's just football, spend the time doing something else. Really not something worth getting upset about at all in my humble opinion.

Perhaps they were busy making things that were actually important safe, since some people in this country couldn't care less about a football match taking place.

The 60's eh? You'll be telling me we used to leave our front doors unlocked because there was no crime next! We might have "moved on" but it seems some of us haven't grown up! Crikey.

EDIT: Didn't mean to appear so harsh, but seriously, its a few weekends, the games will get played, not really a huge deal.
    Last edited by Jebus; 08-01-2010, 17:30.

Comment

I don't see the relevance at all to be honest.
      But lets bring in the NHS to a sporting topic ?.
      The relevance is , you don't see America call off its National sport for snow or ICE, that despite stadiums that dwarf ours .
      You think American fans are magically flowen into their seats , or do they have to drive and park in the Stadium , and then make their way to the seats ? .
      If NFL football fans like the Packers, Broncos , Bills can malke their way to and from Football games in their hundreds of thousands, despite the bad weather , and in the land that gave us the Sue culture , why can't we ?

Who cares, they will get played at some point
      Some of us go to watch Football matches home and away , Yes I know that's an alien concept to most here , but some of us rather watch the football at down the stadium , rather than on the TV.

Midweeks games (when most re-arranged games are played) are a pain the ass for a host of reasons
      Most people have to get up early for work in the morning , that's a nighmare when watching away games , coming back late , buses and trains change their timetables after 6pm in most cases (not an issue for 3pm Saturday games) But if its a Midweek Home game , its a nightmare unless one has access to the Car .

Of course those fans that watch their team would know this

since some people in this country couldn't care less about a football match taking place.
      Yes they much rather fight over the last loaf of Bread, or last pint of Milk in ASDA's
      But hey, lets not shut the supermarkets .

The 60's eh? You'll be telling me we used to leave our front doors unlocked because there was no crime next
      Ahhh.. those were the days, that when if the front door shut , it was locked (no need to twist a key) , That bloody Double glazing killed those Good Old Days

but it seems some of us haven't grown up
      Or grown out of the Long Ball game . But hey lets not get worked up , over a silly little game, that is Football :P

Comment

That post is so full of genuine LOLS to me that I'm not gonna waste the time to reply to it.

I will however just say that I can't believe you threw the conceited "I'm a real fan" arguement in there.

Oh and yes, I did think that the fans of American Football were magically flown to their seats.
        Last edited by Jebus; 08-01-2010, 18:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post

I will however just say that I can't believe you threw the conceited "I'm a real fan" arguement in there.
          If I used those words , you'll have a point . I'm sure I used terms like 'some' or 'us' , thus not implying just 'I' .
          But like I say , most Football fans that do travel to watch their Team , know the pain and hassle of midweek games in most cases, due to late Kick-Off's and Public Transport -compounded when its a mid week away replay game that you can't get a refund for (just for example)

I did think that the fans of American Football were magically flown to their seats.
          Sorry I know the Americans can watch Football in the Snow , and yes that far in advanced of us British , but not even they, can fly into their seats just yet

That post is so full of genuine
          Thank YOU !!!

Comment

Who cares, they will get played at some point.
            I'd rather they were played now rather than towards the end of the season where it will no doubt end up being something stupid like having to play 8 games in 20 days.

Not what I'd want if I was in a team that's fighting for survival.

Remember for most teams they have had just this game called off. Bolton have now had the following cancelled:

Wigan away
            Arsenal away
            Sunderland away

Already two games behind everyone else and with these fixtures piling up I'd be getting worried.

Comment

Fammy, we are a team that's fighting for survival mate and I'd far rather got the Arsenal away game out of the way now!

Dunno, maybe I'm just less highly strung...I love my football, I truly do.

But y'know, I guess I'll just do something else this weekend!

Comment

TA - the difference between the States and here is the infrastructure. The missus was over there for a year and said that because they have a regular, expected winter every year, they have an excellent set of plans and services to deal with snow and ice. Around Buffalo, they have teams of diggers lifting snow and dumping it aside, constant gritting, and various other measures, ensuring that despite massive snowfalls, they can keep everything going in a usual winter.

We haven't had much snow here for nearly 20 years, and no prolonged snow and ice on the ground for weeks on end for perhaps even longer. The country has got complacent due to years of identikit mild winters. Cue a lack of salt, no ploughs, and the ensuing chaos. Areas of the US have much, much more predictable yearly systems and plans are always in place. That's why the NFL is a go-go.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post

We haven't had much snow here for nearly 20 years, and no prolonged snow and ice on the ground for weeks on end for perhaps even longer. The country has got complacent due to years of identikit mild winters. Cue a lack of salt, no ploughs, and the ensuing chaos. Areas of the US have much, much more predictable yearly systems and plans are always in place. That's why the NFL is a go-go.
                  Good points , but in most parts of the country we haven't had 'that' much snow at all . Some parts yes, but other's no . In fact I can go back to 20005, 2000, 1997, 1994 where my area had tons of the white stuff , somehow the City football matches went ahead, Not all of America has annual massive ammonts of winter weather every year , I've yet to see any NFL game called off in the past 18 years or so

And its just echo's my point of how pathetic this country really is .
                  We've a 3rd world Transport systems (be so nice if the Government spent the Road Tax on the Roads) that goes to bits any time there's hint of snow or ice . If the roads to and from the various grounds we closed , I could well understand (and in some cases there are) , but in most cases they're open . It just seems in most cases H&S is getting in the way , Somehow it's ok to use the same roads , go shopping , go to the cinema ECT , using the same network , just not go to the football .

You know is a its bad enough missing the Saturday games , when for my lot mates , its the one time we're all off work , women let us go (while they go shopping) no worries about getting up early the next day (so we can all have a drink) that kind of silly stuff , Mid- Week games and re-agreanged games are a pain is the ass
                  Isues over the mid-week travelling with the latter kicks off's , the fact that if you on the Away support bus and the game called off , you don't get a refund on your £20 bus ticket (its a right pisser when you've travelled miles and miles for a non show) Never mind the build of games , in World Cup year of all years .

I'm sure most parts of the world are laughing at how hopeless the UK at dealing with Winter Weather , when its meant to get COLD .

Comment

it's ok to use the same roads , go shopping , go to the cinema ECT , using the same network , just not go to the football ..
                    How many people would be in your busiest Tesco? The busiest Cinema?

Compare that to how many people would be at the Emirates.

Comment

How many people would be in your busiest Tesco? The busiest Cinema?

Compare that to how many people would be at the Emirates.
                      I would imagine that this Saturday, they'll be more people shopping in the high streets of London , than would be able to watch the game at the Emirates, wouldn't you ?, The shops in London High streets closed today are they ?
                      Lets have a end to this nanny state , and if you fall its your own bloody fault , Let Adults make up their own mind , if they or their Kids should attend the match or not . This Country is a pathetic joke , much like our Transport system .

Still at least our game is ontoday , that makes a change. Though after this outburst , I'll most probably fall, and break my leg

Comment

The Man U and Arsenal games are the only ones on it seems. Man U get handed the chance to go top for a while and get the psychological boost from that (assuming they win of course).

If they're going to cancel 90% of the games, they should just cancel the day's football.

Comment

Smurf, you really are dour aren't you?

SIGH....

Everything's a conspiracy mate. They really are out to get YOU!!

Only joking man

Everyone's worked up over a few postponed games. Not the end of the world. They'll be genuine safety concerns, for fans and players.

And Smurf, you should be happy your games are being postponed with some of your best players away right now
                          Last edited by Matt; 09-01-2010, 09:38.

Comment

I would imagine that this Saturday, they'll be more people shopping in the high streets of London , than would be able to watch the game at the Emirates, wouldn't you ?, The shops in London High streets closed today are they ?
                            Lets have a end to this nanny state , and if you fall its your own bloody fault , Let Adults make up their own mind , if they or their Kids should attend the match or not . This Country is a pathetic joke , much like our Transport system .

Still at least our game is ontoday , that makes a change. Though after this outburst , I'll most probably fall, and break my leg
                            I think that's three or four posts on the trot in this thread you've complained about this country...if you loathe it so, why don't you just move abroad, where the grass is so much greener?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Smurf, you really are dour aren't you?

SIGH....

Everything's a conspiracy mate. They really are out to get YOU!!

Only joking man

Everyone's worked up over a few postponed games. Not the end of the world. They'll be genuine safety concerns, for fans and players.

And Smurf, you should be happy your games are being postponed with some of your best players away right now
                              Don't worry, I know you're the one behind it all! Pulling all the strings behind the scenes!

Meh it's annoying because it's going to mean that we'll probably end up having a month of 3 games a week, not to mention the game was supposed to be on telly today.

Just feels very silly cancelling 10 or so games this weekend and just leaving 2.

Comment

This country just needs to man up and grow some bollocks instead of being such pussies.

Comment

Working...
                                X