Champions League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dortmund repeats its 1997 shocker.
    Cannot see it.

As much as everybody is probably rooting for Dortmund to win it, there will only be one winner in an all-German Champions' League final. Bayern have had Dortmund's number all season long.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure. Munich may be miles ahead in the league but the matches between them this season have been close (in scoreline at least, I haven't watched any so I don't know how well either side played). 2-1 to Munich in the supercup, 1-0 to Munich in the cup and a 1-1 draw in Munich in the league. We know from the second leg vs Arsenal that Munich aren't infallible and are capable of an off night.

You never know in a one off cup match. Juve won Serie A quite easily and Milan finished 3rd back in 2003, but it was Milan that won the CL final between them.

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
        I wouldn't be so sure. Munich may be miles ahead in the league but the matches between them this season have been close (in scoreline at least, I haven't watched any so I don't know how well either side played). 2-1 to Munich in the supercup, 1-0 to Munich in the cup and a 1-1 draw in Munich in the league. We know from the second leg vs Arsenal that Munich aren't infallible and are capable of an off night.
        Clearly, Munich drew 1-1 with Dortmund when it was LONG clear that the Bundesliga was a one-horse race. The 2nd leg against Arsenal was a case of Bayern not really being sure whether to try and kill off the tie or defend their away goals advantage, which Arsenal took advantage of.

Not even Bayern could mess up a CL final against Dortmund. Too much hunger and desire in the Bayern squad after what happened last year. Bayern all day long against Dortmund.

Comment

I would say they way Dortmund have generally played in the CL this year has been very impressive. It looked to me like the CL was something they really went for. Bayern would rightly be favourites but I wouldn't call it clear cut.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            I would say they way Dortmund have generally played in the CL this year has been very impressive. It looked to me like the CL was something they really went for.
            As great as their run to the semi-final has been and as likeable as their squad and manager is, they were very lucky to have beaten Malaga to have got there.

Comment

I don't deny that, but these things happen from time to time. That doesn't make them any lesser of a side. The fact that Dortmund topped a group with Real Madrid, Ajax and Man City gives a signal of their quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                Not even Bayern could mess up a CL final against Dortmund. Too much hunger and desire in the Bayern squad after what happened last year. Bayern all day long against Dortmund.
                You could equally say that Dortmund, having surrendered their league title to Munich, will be desperate to find a way to win back some pride and show that they're still up there with Bayern. What better way than to beat them in the CL final?

Or that after what happened last year Munich will be too over eager to right that wrong, too hyped up, which Dortmund could take advantage of.

As Nakamura said, Malaga tie aside, Dortmund have been excellent in the season's CL. Nearly every side that makes it deep into the tournament will be able to look back and think "Phew, we got away with that!" at least once.

I don't disagree that Munich would be favourites, but one sided to the point of saying there's only one winner? Not for me, not by a long shot. Hopefully we'll get a chance to find out

Comment

It will be very close. These 4 teams are the 2 best sides of both Germany and Spain, which are probably the 2 best leagues right now.

Real Madrid is a ****load of points behind Barcelona in the league, but they've become better and better ever since. They beat Barcelona and they aren't the somewhat clueless side they were during the first few months of this season.

Dortmund surrendered the league title, but the matches between them and Bayern were very close.

Comment

Well, off the pitch, Bayern Munich have got one over on Dortmund: Mario Gotze will be joining Munich from Dortmund this summer for €37 million.

The speculation is that Guardiola wants to be able to play the "false 9" formation at Munich next season and Gotze in means Mario Gomez out (maybe there's a Mario quota in German football ).

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Mario Götze has agreed to join Bundesliga rivals Bayern Munich next season
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 23-04-2013, 09:36.

Comment

Gotta be soul-destroying for Dortmund. A club that averages 80k attendance every week, won back-to-back Bundesliga titles in the last three seasons and have a Champions' League win in their locker, only for Bayern to come along and take their prized asset.

Comment

Barcelona isn't completely what they used to be yet, and Messi isn't fully recovered either. Bayern has to make their move now and score at least 3 to seal it.

Barca meanwhile made a whopping 3 hand ball and none were punished. Its the first opponent pushing them back instead of the other way around, and turns out that Barca are bad defenders.

Bayern killed them, 4-0. End of an era.
                        Last edited by saturn-gamer; 23-04-2013, 20:22.

Comment

Despite iffy officiating, Bayern have been incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                            Bayern has to make their move now and score at least 3 to seal it.
                            They listened to you, that's four now! Quite fun to see Barca on the end of a hiding

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            Despite iffy officiating, Bayern have been incredible.
                            I think you can forgive the offside for the second goal as it was so tight, I'm not 100% sure if it was on or off from the replays. Third goal shouldn't have stood though. Then again, Bayern should have got a penalty for at least one of those handballs.
                            Last edited by EJG1980; 23-04-2013, 20:26.

Comment

Amazing to think that Bayern might end up getting rid of a treble winning coach at the end of this season. Guardiola could have a heck of a lot to live up to.

Comment

The third goal had some stuff by Muller going on. But Bayern won deservedly. Barcelona is clueless without Messi yet again. He was there sure, but his last games was half an hour against PSG.

Bayern simply grabbed them by the throat, and even Gomez and Ribery were working their asses off. It seems that Barca's end is nigh, they have to rely way too much on Messi and Iniesta and Xavi are getting older. But you can't expect any side to dominate football for such a long time. It will end one day, they're still humans. What they did and the records they shattered, they aren't my favourite team but they are probably the most dominant side in the history of football.

A Real - Bayern clash would be the dream final. Real after their bad start is almost unbeatable as well, physically strong too. I secretly hope for a 10th Cup for Los Merengues. Although this is Robben's last chance for European silverware.
                                Last edited by saturn-gamer; 23-04-2013, 20:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X