Manchester United FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
    What a gutless display from a team lacking in creativity, skill and commitment. Embarrassing
    Can almost say the same again tonight, bar Rooney, you guys just look lost at times, especially in midfield where you've been so strong for so long.
    Be very interesting to see who comes and goes in January.

Comment

Fine lines, especially with some good efforts from Rooney. United have completely thrown away any gains made with the win against Arsenal, though. Down to 9th.

Comment

9th flatters us, would be a lot worse had it not been for Rooney.

Comment

On the plus side....I am making an absolute killing laying Man Utd on Betfair!! Long may the slump continue

Comment

Fellaini is a million miles away from being a top class midfielder, no way good enough to hold that role I'd rather see Anderson.

Comment

Agreed (about Fellaini not about Anderson!). Strange though he seemed decent at Everton I honestly thought he'd do quite well it's early days though he may still come good.

Despite the fact that we are mediocre at best so far this season I'm of the opinion that it would be a waste of time throwing money at the Jan transfer window. I think we need to carry on and target the players we need in the summer, if anyone would sell in January we'd be paying well over the odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                Fine lines, especially with some good efforts from Rooney. United have completely thrown away any gains made with the win against Arsenal, though. Down to 9th.
                I think Utd were fortunate to play Arsenal when they did. If it was last weekend for example I think it would have been the end of their title hopes for this season.

Comment

I'm impressed that you think we've still got title hopes lol.

Comment

I'm still firmly in the 'Moyes needs time' camp, and a good transfer window.

Still, looking at it from the position of the boardroom, not qualifying for Europe must be an unthinkable scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                      I'm still firmly in the 'Moyes needs time' camp.
                      Send him a Rolex for Christmas. Martinez has already made Everton better.

Comment

Yeah I'm no fan of Moyes either, too cautious no pedigree.

Going back to the Europe point, I'd rather they didn't qualify for the Europa league, champions league or nothing! I still think they could scrape top four. Maybe.

Comment

Going to be a real scrap for the top four this season between about eight teams (yes I'm including you in that) and unless you manage to win a few on the bounce it will be a struggle.

Bar the money I think teams are better off our of the Europa League too, you just need to play far too many games - unless you have a second eleven to play in it up until about February.

Moyes will improve, but he needs to change his habits/strategies of the last ten years.

Comment

Part of me wants to see United not qualify because it might spur a shake-up. For too many years the team has been plodding on, overachieving with mediocrity. The squad has needed an overhaul and new ideas for a long time.

On the other hand, if push came to shove I think I'd still like to see a shameless, undeserved sneak into 4th place.

Comment

The "we need to be unsuccessful this year to give us a kick up the arse to force us to improve" idea is a tempting one but I'm not sure it actually works very often. Newcastle getting relegated forced them to slash the wage bill and cut costs and they're now in a much more sustainable financial position, but I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head where a bad season may have helped in the long term.

Liverpool being ensconced in the top four for many years, missing out once, and not getting back in since is probably the biggest example of how much damage one season of underachievement can end up doing.

I think I'd definitely go with the shameless sneak option if it were me

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                              Bar the money I think teams are better off our of the Europa League too, you just need to play far too many games - unless you have a second eleven to play in it up until about February.
                              I don't think it's as bad as people make out. Spurs entered at the playoff round and to win it (stop laughing at the back) we'd have to play a total of 17 matches. If we'd finished fourth and got into the Champions League it would have taken 15 matches to win that, so it's not a huge difference.

Comment

Am surprised it's only 17 games to be honest, just the memories of all the CL rejects being dumped in to it in January that still haunts me.

I am a long suffering LFC fan, supported then since about 1977 we've certainly had som big highs and big lows.

Sure you will bounce back at some point in 2014, win ten in a row and Moyes will be God.

Comment

Working...
                                X