No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, Son ran right in front of Gomes and jumped to try and head the ball, forcing Gomes jump above him to punch it away. I reckon that might just be deemed as "interfering with play"

Wonderfully inventive finish when the ball came back to him the second time, though. And like all football fans, I won't complain when the luck goes in our favour!

Comment

It's only foundations / piling / basement work so far, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I think the above ground structure is due to start in about March/April, which'll make for a more interesting time-lapse in the future.

Comment

A missed opportunity today as we really dominated the first half and on another day could have been out of sight, yet go in level. Lennon rarely scores so of course he has to get a stunner against us! Aside from their goal Everton hardly even ventured into our half of the pitch in that first period.

The second half was a more even affair with Everton upping their game, although I think we were still generally the better side for most of the half. I think the players will be going home feeling annoyed with only getting a point.

Can't be too down though as it's still a good away point and an excellent festive period. Three wins and a draw (with three of the matches away from home) is the best record of any team over Xmas and the new year. Responding to the Newcastle loss with the best form in the league isn't too shabby

Two big matches coming up against Leicester in the cup and the league next.

Comment

Been away over the new year but caught the Everton game on MotD2. Would just have to have been our old boy Aaron Lennon who did the damage.

First half we should have put it away but instead it was us that let in the first goal and although we got back on terms very quickly I think it affected the way we were playing. Everton stepped up themselves and it became a much more even match in the second half.

Still a decent result as Everton were playing very well. However it means the Leicester Premiership game will be a must win. I just have a feeling Man.Utd are slowly but surely getting themselves back on track. Keeping a decent points cushion between them and us could be very important and bringing Leicester, who are punching well above their weight, back to reality equally so.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 05-01-2016, 15:14.

Comment

It really is a very big game against Leicester. Beat them and the gap is down to one point and the little wobble they've had the past few games continues to grow, and we at least maintain our gap to Man Utd. Lose and we're seven points behind, they have a massive confidence boosting win, and Man Utd could be level with us. A draw and I think Leicester would be very happy too.

Exciting and nerve wracking times

Vardy has had a small operation and will definitely miss the FA Cup match with us, and probably the league match too, which is a bonus. Although as well as Vardy has done, if I could choose one player of theirs to miss the match it would be Mahrez, what a fantastic season he's been having.

Comment

COYS - looking foward to the game today.

Comment

Lots of possession, not a great deal of thrust and threat - which, as chuffed as I am at how this season has gone so far, is a criticism you could level at Spurs quite a lot - ending in a drawn game that we should have won.

Considering we were missing the spine of the team - Lloris, Vertonghen, Alli and Kane (as well as Lamela, Walker and the injured Dembele) - it was a decent performance. Leicester were impressive considering their changes, they were so well organised that they kept us at arms length for most of the game; sadly, we didn't have the guile to unlock them.

We're still in the hat and, if tomorrow's draw is kind, I'd argue it would be worth having a near full strength team in the replay.

Comment

Shame we couldn't get the job done today but at least we're still in the hat. As you said it was a decent performance without having quite enough cutting edge to create more clear cut chances from the good build up play.

I think quite a few of the fringe players did well. Wimmer didn't look out of place alongside Toby and he's got a very decent pass on him. Josh Onomah has looked full of potential in his few appearances this season and was excellent in the build up to our opening goal. I like Trippier as well, he put in a good performance against Watford and again today.

Hopefully we can go one better and get the win on Wednesday, when the first choice elevens play each other

Comment

To be honest, I'd have taken defeat today in exchange for wins this week in the league (at home to both Leicester and Sunderland) - but I'm still glad we're in the hat!

Comment

I didn't see the point of bringing on HK so late. He had no service and barely touched the ball except to score the penalty.

There's a point to saving your best players for the Premiership but if you don't win it's pointless and a draw means you've an extra match to play which rather defeats the point of saving them.

It looked like a Spurs second choice starting side with a few key first choice players and I think the decision to do that by Poch was wrong. Still it was a a good match to watch and, as said ^, we're still in the hat.
                      Last edited by fallenangle; 11-01-2016, 11:50.

Comment

I've found the cup selections strange this season - a weakened side against Arsenal in the Capital One Cup and the same today, yet pretty much full strength sides in the Europa League. Poch definitely needs to rotate the team, I get that, but I'd argue he's played weaker sides in the home cups against stronger teams than we drew in the EL. Maybe it's the lure of a CL place...

Still, hard to be too disappointed as the league form is looking good.

Comment

I think the team selections show that the priority in the cups is definitely the Europa League, and I'm sure it is indeed down to the fact that the prize for winning it is a Champions League spot. Personally it's a policy I agree with. I'd love to see Spurs win any cup, but offered the choice of one of the three, I'd definitely take the one which puts me into the CL the following season.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                          There's a point to saving your best players for the Premiership but if you don't win it's pointless and a draw means you've an extra match to play which rather defeats the point of saving them.
                          Unless, of course, he plays a team of mainly fringe players again in the replay. Then it's simply an extra match for the likes of Wimmer, Tripper, etc., and most of our PL starters will again be resting on the bench.

I think, considering that Leicester were very likely to field a much changed side as well, resting six or seven first teamers was a gamble worth taking today. I think Poch has the right to expect that our squad/fringe players, at home, should be able to beat their squad/fringe players.

Comment

That's really an argument for throwing the game completely ie. we might as well field a third eleven and save core main squad for what are seen as our prime priorities. The problem is that whenever Spurs have done that, as they have in the past with the Europa League, they end up not winning anything. The more irons you have in the fire the better IMHO.

It is a given that you have to rotate a team, you just can't expect eleven first choice players to remain fit and at their peak throughout a whole season. But with a match in a competition you're taking seriously when nothing is working, as in the final third yesterday, you have to change things quickly. You need to give players who, because they are second choice and aren't as familiar with each other or the formation, the time to bed in.

What I saw yesterday was not a gamble it was sitting on the fence and when he was forced to jump by Leicester scoring Poch didn't react fast enough in those circumstances to make a difference.

Comment

Colchester away in the next round, if we get past Leicester in the replay.

Comment

I don't see how what I said equates to an argument for saying we might as well throw the game completely and field an even weaker third choice eleven

I'm just arguing against the point that drawing the match meant resting first choice players was rendered pointless.

Poch thought the eleven he put out were capable of beating the team Leicester were likely to field and I don't think he'll change his mind just because we happened to only draw the match on that night. Thus I think he'll put out a similar mix of players in the starting eleven for the replay, expecting them to have enough quality to be able to win.

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
                                Colchester away in the next round, if we get past Leicester in the replay.
                                Fingers crossed we get through, a proper cup tie!

Comment

Working...
                                X