No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops. Sorry over-enthusiastic double post.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 24-01-2016, 23:45. Reason: Double post

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Even the Spurs fans on here have to admit that a top-four finish is theirs to lose now, surely? Cannot really see anybody else catching them.
      With Arsenal losing against Chelsea all it will take now is Leicester to hiccup once and Spurs to keep winning or not losing and we'll really be in the mix for the Premiership title and not just a top four finish.

Spurs have the 'easiest' on paper fixtures for February playing only one other top four contender: Man City. Leicester have the hardest set of fixtures up against Arsenal, Man.City and Liverpool whilst Arsenal will also be meeting Man.Utd.

As I said in much earlier post I think that if we're there or there about at the beginning of March I might start to believe that a higher position than fourth is a possibility. So far this year we've kept pretty much on track, just hope it continues.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        With Arsenal losing against Chelsea all it will take now is Leicester to hiccup once and Spurs to keep winning or not losing and we'll really be in the mix for the Premiership title and not just a top four finish.

Spurs have the 'easiest' on paper fixtures for February playing only one other top four contender: Man City. Leicester have the hardest set of fixtures up against Arsenal, Man.City and Liverpool whilst Arsenal will also be meeting Man.Utd.

As I said in much earlier post I think that if we're there or there about at the beginning of March I might start to believe that a higher position than fourth is a possibility. So far this year we've kept pretty much on track, just hope it continues.
        Don't know about Spurs winning the League but hey, I didn't think Leicester would still be in the mix at this stage so who knows?
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 25-01-2016, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
          Yup. We've got an excellent chance to finish in the top four but it was a mere two matches ago when we were one point ahead of fifth and seven behind Arsenal. Two good games later and those gaps have swung in our favour, but a couple of bad games and they can just as quickly swing back the other way.

Plus, when you still have fresh memories of your team turning a ten point lead over Arsenal into a one point deficit in the space of four matches, it makes you even more acutely aware that a five point gap in January is nothing

We've got a likeable team and manager, we're playing attractive football, have lots of young players with the potential to improve over the coming years, and a shiny new stadium is on the horizon. It's a good time to be a Spurs fans and I'm just enjoying each game as it comes, enjoying watching the youngsters develop, and putting no expectations on where we might end up.

Of course, if we get closer and closer to the end of the season and we're still in the mix for top four (or possibly more!) the harder it's going to be not think about what we might be able to achieve... but there's a loooooong way to go at the mo.

Comment

If we'd beaten Leicester, and every result since had gone the same way, we'd be top this morning! 😀😀

I'm counting no chickens about anything right now - in the past five years, we've been in the top four/title mix going into March twice....and it's slipped on both occasions. The current set up feels different, like there is a bit more belief in the squad/management that we're where we should be and not punching above our weight.

Looking forward to the Man City game in a couple of weeks though!

Comment

Vertonghen sustained knee ligament damage against Palace - no statement yet on how long he'll be out. Damn!

Time to see how good Wimner is. I suppose the other option would be to move Dier back now that Bentaleb is fit, but that feels like we'd be weakening two key positions.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
                Vertonghen sustained knee ligament damage against Palace - no statement yet on how long he'll be out. Damn!

Time to see how good Wimner is. I suppose the other option would be to move Dier back now that Bentaleb is fit, but that feels like we'd be weakening two key positions.
                Yup, just saw this on twitter. A Belgium football journalist I follow said that type of injury is usually a 3-4 week layoff. It'll be a test for our defence as Vertonghen and Alderweireld hadn't missed a single minute of action in the PL until Jan went off against Palace.

I'm fairly certain Poch will go with simply slotting in Wimmer. Another manager may shuffle the deck and disrupt the team in order to make sure most experienced players stay on the pitch, but I think it's safe to say that Poch has no trouble giving a youngster a chance. I've been impressed with Wimmer whenever he's played so my gut says Poch will give him the nod (and what's the point of buying a backup defender if you don't use him when the first choice gets injured?).

Also, Wimmer is a natural Vertonghen replacement as they're both left sided centre backs. I don't think it's a coincidence that whenever Wimmer has played in the cups it's always been alongside the right sided Alderweireld. They're a nicely balanced pairing. With Dier also usually playing on the right in defence him and Alderweireld as a pairing is a tad more awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
                  If we'd beaten Leicester, and every result since had gone the same way, we'd be top this morning! ����
                  I think that's why you saw, after the draw in the first cup match, Leicester brought the house for the league game (and won), and didn't compete as hard in the replay. Personally I don't begrudge Ranieri doing that if true, because as a Foxes fan by proxy (all my family is originally from Leicester), it's a bit of a rollercoaster currently!
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Andros Townsend has moved to Newcastle Utd.

It's a shame he didn't make it here as he's a genuine Spurs fan and has been at the club since he was eight years old, but I think it's best for both player and club. He gets a chance to nail down a regular first team place and play football every week and we get a very good fee (every report I've seen says ?12 million) for a player that clearly wasn't in the manager's plans for the future.

No idea how accurate it is but according to The Mirror he's gone from earning ?18K per week at Spurs to ?55K per week at Newcastle The threat of relegation certainly does help to loosen a club's purse strings!

Comment

Yep, that's a decent fee for someone who wasn't getting a look in under Pochettino. A shame, he never contributed enough to hold down a regular place - I think he had a better time at QPR, where he was always picked by Harry.

We're being linked with another Moussa Dembele (the Fulham forward) and Berahino who, as you'll know, I really like!

Comment

The Guardian are reporting that we're close to agreeing a deal for Dembele #2. From the same reporter that broke the story of a fee being agreed for Townsend before anywhere else did, so with a bit of luck it should be accurate.

Comment

Sorry to see AndrosTownsend go but less of a loss than some others Spurs have deliberately, or so it seems, sidelined and then unceremoniously sold on : Gylfi Sigurdsson being the prime example.

Dembele (#2) deal: the last I read was that Fulham wanted him back on loan, presumably until the end of the season. It would appear that Spurs have now decided to pay more to get him immediately.

He must be seen as the answer to the additional striker problem. Just hope that he is worth it because if there are other transfer targets intended for that role the deal makers are running it right up to the cut off line.

Comment

Ohh lovely: a new contract for Dembele mk1. Very good news considering the step up in form he's made this season.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                              Ohh lovely: a new contract for Dembele mk1. Very good news considering the step up in form he's made this season.
                              Couldn't agree more. He's stepped up this year and is benefitting from playing more - it looks like he feels he's wanted by the manager, which has made him a better player. I don't think it's a coincidence that he was missing when we lost to Newcastle and Leicester, as he brings a physicality to the team that the likes of Tom Carroll (who replaced Dembele in those defeats) can't.

I read something a few months ago in The Guardian which said Spurs were struggling to tie the likes of Dembele, Eriksen, Chadli and Lamela to new, longer deals - I think all were due to expire in Summer 2017. Hopefully, Dembele is just the first to sign on for longer.

And The Guardian's transfer blog is having loads of fun today with Moussa Dembele signing a new deal, just as we're trying to sign Mousa Dembele from Fulham. It's making me smile anyway!

Comment

From the MotD highlights it looked as though Spurs barely needed to get out of second gear to beat Colchester. Comfortable win even scoring their goal for them as a consolation. Hope that's not going to become a habit (Crystal Palace).

Comment

Working...
                                X