World Cup 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwi View Post
    Has anyone considered that we looked ok against Italy because ........just maybe they are as bad as us atm? Imagine they lose to Uruguay next week, they will get the abuse from their press as our team has.

Costa rica are a team that is better than the sum of its parts, whereas ours.............well isn't
    Its mostly because Costa Rica didn't give Pirlo too much space. Italy looks very limited once he's being man marked. I reckon Uruguay can knock them out as they have that extra fighting spirit and are playing under conditions that suit them. Uruguay is a squad with runners such as Suarez.

This is the world cup of fitness and stamina. And so far both France and Holland looked the most fit, while Chile can play at this high pace for one half. Spain with their slower and boring possession play was murdered because of this.

Comment

I think its a little harsh to blame either rooney or gerrard, in the case of gerrard, he was clearly hamstrung by hodgsons tactics.

Played too deep, and the best form of defense and all that.

We did ok, but ultimately lacked belief i think....we certainly didnt take any into the second game, despite uruguay being a much better side that the overrated italians.

Comment

0 points from two games is hardly OK is my book, first time we've ever been out of the finals after just two games.

Not blaming any player (or Manager), but overall that is the fact, worst World Cup finals performance ever. Hope we can win on Tuesday to restore some pride.

Was a lovely flick on from Gerrard to Suarez though, hope they use that again when both playing for Liverpool, assuming Suarez is still there next season.

Comment

I don't think the tactics were that bad, nor were they amazing. I just don't think we are good enough. Players are not comfortable on the ball as much as other nations. When pressure was applied we gave it back far too easily. I think the young lads will be good players but none of them shout great players to me. We need to rebuild our game from the ground up.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
            I think its a little harsh to blame either rooney or gerrard, in the case of gerrard, he was clearly hamstrung by hodgsons tactics.
            Gerrard had a lame World cup in S.Africa as well; Like the rest of the overhyped so called world class players from the Golden generation . For far too long England had been trying to pick formations so it can accommodate the likes of Rooney and so on , drop the lot of them and yet the youngest have their chance and show what they are made of.
            Its almost laughable and depressing that Lampard is going to play and Captain the side .

Bit of a shame as against Italy England didn't play too bad and looked half decent

Comment

Lampard playing has cemented my dislike of the English national team. Absolute waste of time. Hope we get smashed.

Comment

Bitetastic, yep could only be one man...

Uruguay's Luis Suarez appears to bite Giorgio Chiellini during a match which sees Italy knocked out of the World Cup.

Comment

Comment

Surprised there isn't an app on iOS called "Who will Suarez bite next?"

Be interesting to see the fallout of this in the next 24 hours, wonder if he could fix my frozen shoulder tendons without the need for injections?

Comment

I called it as soon as I saw it, that looked like a bite. Wouldn't be surprised to see him banned from the rest of the competition and beyond. Apparently some Swede won a bet at 175-1 that Suarez would bite someone in the tournament (!).
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Norwegian Football Fan Wins ?540 After Betting Luis Suarez Would Bite Someone During The World Cup (Photo)

Comment

England have the third most valuable squad at the 2014 Fifa World Cup with an estimated insurable value of £550m.

So Costa Rica have made their first-ever World Cup quarter-finals. This with a squad that has a total value of ?18m and a manager who is earning ?250k p/a.

In comparison, England's squad has a total value of ?550m and is coached by a man on a salary of ?3.5m p/a.

Something clearly doesn't add up here, but I'm sure that some on here are going to make excuses for Woy.

Comment

Couple of good games today and last minute twists. Can't beat a penalty shootout at midnight eh.

Costa Rica have played well all tournament really so fair play to them.

Why won't be going anywhere for a couple of years yet - unless we don't qualify for the Euros. Qualifiers start in about ten weeks time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27794636

So Costa Rica have made their first-ever World Cup quarter-finals. This with a squad that has a total value of ?18m and a manager who is earning ?250k p/a.

In comparison, England's squad has a total value of ?550m and is coached by a man on a salary of ?3.5m p/a.

Something clearly doesn't add up here, but I'm sure that some on here are going to make excuses for Woy.
                              You have pretty much answered your own question there ... Too much money ...

Personally what I would like to see is England take players from the Championship instead. They wouldn't do any worse as at least they would be hungry for it, and not worried about getting injured for their club.

Comment

Working...
                              X