No announcement yet.

Gradius V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not clicking to well with Type 2 yet. I prefer type 4, I like using the options to destroy the turrets on the ceiling and floor where theres not much room.

I havnt quite got the hitspot down right. Still make the odd screwup when squeezing between bullets.

Comment

Type 1 is the one I use most. It can be used effectively in any given situation. Type 2 is cool but I dont like to stay stationary especially on intense levels like stage 4.

Comment

Blatantly. I love pushing the options out an inch in front of me in a crescent of vertical death - you can take out all the turrets and stuff before you are anywhere near them.

Still make schoolboy errors on stage 2 last boss though.

Saur - I watched those vids you posted of stage 6 and 7 last night. Bloody hell. Those are some mighty hard bosses. The last stage is long too innit!

^_^

Comment

they are great, can't wait to see the "appreciation DVD", all that green fog ....

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait to watch it either. Shame the boxart on both the game and the DVD is so poor. Coincidentally, I was reading an old issue of Edge last night about cover art (the one split by company) and it praised Konami for theirs in general. G-Five's doesn't hold up to the standard of the Salamander, Castelvania or Goemon covers, sadly.

Comment

My copy arrived yesterday (Korean) one.

Managed to put about an hour in so far - and basically am just re-iterating many of the comments here already.

Looks lovely and feels lovely. This is my first ever Gradius game and while I am not completely understanding the powerup situation yet it all feels very nice.

One minor complaint I have so far is regards the loading - bloody hell everything takes so long! Even when you die you have to wait a good 10 seconds to carry on.

Also is there any way to skip the cut scenes? I am not the biggest fan of any cut scenes and I cant seem to skip them!

Comment

Will someone please answer these two questions...

1. Is Gradius V optimised for widescreen TV's?
                I'm more than sure that it is but I wanna know 100%.

2. Gradius... Is it pronounced grade(as in A+)-de-us or (as in post)grad-e-us?
                I'm sure it's the first one...

Comment

I haven't noticed a widescreen mode.

I call it Gray - dee - us

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
                    2. Gradius... Is it pronounced grade(as in A+)-de-us or (as in post)grad-e-us?
                    I'm sure it's the first one...
                    The second one, it's a play on the latin word Gladius.

Comment

Yeah I think you got it right Mr Ono...
                      Others at work have been up my tits recently pronouncing it wrong.

There isn't a widescreen mode but Gradius V looks fab widescreen.

Maybe it's just me, is this really a 4:3 game?

Comment

I can't find a widescreen option in the game and therefore always stick to 4:3 mode on the telly as it looks stretched and awful in wide.

I've always pronounced it the second way. Gra di uss

Comment

Im the opposite there, it may have something to do with the geometry of plasma screens but it looks absolutly fantastic on my screen which is widescreen. It also has the look of a progressive scan PS2 title, the visuals are very sharp and crisp throughout, if anyone can confirm whether or not this mode is supported then it would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
                            Yeah I think you got it right Mr Ono...
                            Others at work have been up my tits recently pronouncing it wrong.

There isn't a widescreen mode but Gradius V looks fab widescreen.

Maybe it's just me, is this really a 4:3 game?
                            It's pronounced Gu ra dius in Japanese, so it should be pronounced Gra di us in English.

Comment

I'm not changing how I pronounce it :P

Comment

I need to re-iterate how good this game is just incase anyone is still lurking undecided.

This is my first ever experience with Gradius but I have been having an absolutely blast with it - I love the power up system and I usually dont get on with systems like this at all.

Being able to "pick up" your options after dying is a fantastic addition, and the level design is sublime.

I have only seen the first 3 levels so far but the difficulty curve is set just right - I have slowly progressed each time I play, plus it unlocks the ability to practice stages as far as you have reached which helps no end.

I cant wait to see some of the bosses later on in the game. I am definately going to resist turning down the difficulty level to get a sneaky peek at them too - normal all the way for me and with no continues!

Comment

Working...
                                X