Quake 4 (PC & XBox 360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quake 4 (PC & XBox 360)

Thanks to those lovely folks at Gameplay this arrived today.

So far the Single player campaign is a real blast back to the Q2 style of things, mixed with a bit of Halo style squad work (the AI is good). The enemies are familiar and new at the same time, and the weapons are nice and beefy.

In the brief time I've tried Mulitplayer, I really liked it. It feels very 'vanilla' as you would expect, but the movement is great, and the netcode is superb. Rails hit exactly where you aim, or at least that's how it feels at present. Some serious cfg tweaking is in order though to get the visibility up, anyone used to OSP/CPMA for q3 will have a hard time picking enemies out against the background so far.

Performance is much better than I expected, not silky smooth but that's to be expected. I'm running an AMD 2800+, 1 GB of PC2700 RAM and an ati 9600XT graphics card, so nothing like top of the line. I'm playing in 640 x 480 with low detail and it still looks gorgeous, and doesn't really ever drop to a judder.
    Last edited by VR46; 20-03-2006, 08:13.

Got my copy today as well. Really enjoying it so far. It's a nice back-to-basics kind of FPS, which seems to have upset some reviewers, but it's exactly what I wanted from it. It just throws tonnes of enemies at you and gives you a load of meaty guns to kill them with. Great fun.

Not played multiplayer properly yet, but from messing around with it offline, it seems to be pretty similar to Quake 3, with a few Quake 2-like weapons mixed in. Nice new version of Q2DM1 (The Edge), which was always a favourite of mine in Quake 2. If only they'd put a version of the McKinley's Revival CTF map as well, but I'm sure it won't take long for somebody to make one. Shame there aren't any bots, but I guess the focus is more on the single player this time.

I'm really surprised by the performance too. I'm using an AMD 2500+ with a GeForce FX 5600, and it's absolutely fine. Much better than I thought it'd be.

Comment

I've been playing the single player and really am enjoying it far more than Doom 3. Lots more action and much faster paced.

Played a bit online as well and it is almost EXACTLY like Q3 online. Not sure if it is going to vie for my busy online time but at least the netcode seems very good.

Comment

I've been playing this tonight also.

I have yet to try the multiplayer aspect of it, and i'm currently up to the interior hanger. So i've not played it for long.

I'm running on a 2.8ghz P4, 512mb ram, and an ATI Radeon 9200se, however i'll be buying a newer graphics card next week. (Well, i'm hoping tomorrow!)

Performance is excellent in terms of fps. On 640x480, Medium detail, it's very playable. Doom 3 was fantastically playable on 800x600 Medium aswell on this current setup, and looked good to boot!

However, as my card isn't actually in the supported card list, almost everything is green tinted! This is easily fixed by typing 'r_renderer arb' in the console, but it looks ABSOLUTELY CRAP. So before I pass judgement on how the graphics look and how the game plays, i'm gonna wait till I get my new card.

It SEEMS to be pretty damn good though!

Comment

Simply have to buy this for some new multiplayer Quake action. Odds are the single player mode will never get touched.

Comment

Cool...

I am a huge Quake fan but I am actually going to pick up the Xbox360 version at launch now. Im used to the limitations of a controller and Im quite deadly with it but the main reason Im opting for the Xbox360 version is because all my friends will be playing it.

Any chance you can give a rundown on the multiplayer levels, any standout new levels? Also with the remakes of old classic levels, what ones are in the game?

Comment

I've not played all the multiplayer maps yet, but there are three remakes from previous games. From Quake 2, there's "The Edge", and from Quake 3, there's "The Longest Yard" and "The Very End Of You" (q3tourney6). There's also the CTF version of q3tourney6, "Across Space".

The Quake 3 ones seem pretty much the same as before, other than the changed weapons and textures. The Edge is slightly different, particularly in the area where the water used to be.

I've played a bit of multiplayer now, and it seems to stress your PC a fair bit more than the single player mode, and it wasn't really particularly smooth on my system. Seemed fun enough, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS
                It just throws tonnes of enemies at you and gives you a load of meaty guns to kill them with. Great fun.
                Well now that sounds good! That sounds like it's exactly what I wanted Doom 3 to be. I was so thoroughly disappointed with Doom 3 that I wasn't even going to look at this but you may just have changed my mind.

Comment

Few things that really annoyed me about doom3

1.It was to dark
                  2.The flashlight changing was a pain
                  3.The way enemies would suddenly appear (usually behind me)

Does it have any of that in quake 4?

Comment

So far, there's been one very short dark section, but your gun has a torch attached anyway, so there's no annoying switching involved. Generally, the environments are well lit. There's no teleporting-in of enemies that I've seen. You're generally just moving forward through the levels clearing each room as you go.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
                    Well now that sounds good! That sounds like it's exactly what I wanted Doom 3 to be.
                    That's pretty much my feeling about the game. It's certainly a lot more like old-school Doom than Doom 3 was.

Comment

Is there any physics for the game.I always find it satisfying when you kill enemys and they crumple to the floor.It was promised for doom 3 but by the launch it had been reduced quite a bit

Comment

Started this today, and played it solidly for about 8 or so hours. I'm pretty far in i think, what must be the final stretch.

Overall, it's very similar to doom3, but with a lot of improvements. There is still a lot of very dark areas in the game, but the pistol and the machine gun have a built in light. The other weapons do not however, so theres still some flipping between those 2 weak guns, and the more powerful ones. It's not too bad though. The Guns themselves feel and sound far meatier and are much more satisfying.

The start is really good actually, the first battle has some really nice set pieces. Sadly the game does degenerate into, like doom3, a long crawl through a big metal base, with missions like "Activate barrel process".
                        Whilst i guess we were all expecting that anyway, in contrast to the strong opening though it does feel a bit like a lost opportunity.

Now, i don't think i need to put spoilter tags around the fact that at some point into the game (and it's earlier than i expected) you get turned into a strogg. This doesn't seem to afffect anything, other than the story. The only differences appear to be a slightly faster run speed, the ability to use strogg health chargers, and a slightly higher health max. Infact, Stroggdom is roughly analogous to putting on a HEV suit.

Finally, there is physics in it, but it's pretty much the same as in doom3, nothing especially noticable. Enemies disintergrate in the same manner as doom3s except the effect is green now, and theres none of the monster spawning nonsense that marred doom3. Oh and The vehicle sections are very 'red faction'.

It's good solid old school shooter fun though. Like Doom3, the audiovisuals are so strong, just soaking up the experience counters a lot of the little gripes you can level at the game. I obviously enjoyed it enough to play it solidly so far.
                        Last edited by Rebelli0n; 21-10-2005, 23:07.

Comment

Is anyone getting random exits of this game? I've had 2 in 1 day- one during single player and one during multiplayer.

Comment

wa splaying this yesterday

i've got to the dispersal facility

start of spoiler*** that boss fight, i think its voss, the huge fecker that spawns in extra enemies***end of spoiler

the start was a bit naff but i soon got into it

its a solid shooter, doesn't bring anything new to the table but it plays nice enough. just trying to get through it so i can get back to colossus

Comment

Originally posted by in5ane
                              Is anyone getting random exits of this game? I've had 2 in 1 day- one during single player and one during multiplayer.

not pld single player, but in last 3 says pld mp about 12 hours, and no kicks/exits etc

Comment

Working...
                              X