Final Fantasy III DS US Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy III DS US Version

I was kind of hoping somebody else might be starting this thread today, I've not done this sort of apraisal before so apologies in advance if I waffle on.

My copy arrived at 11.50am and apart from breaks to answer the call of nature and eat my lunch and evening meal I've only just now managed to put it down.

Everything about this game is great.

The US boxart, whilst minimalistic, is appealing to my eyes, and if you miss the Japanese boxart then it does make an appearance on the game manual which is printed in full colour throughout.

Firing up the game you are greated with a really neat and quite lengthy CG intro which starts out on one screen and then goes onto switch screens and then make use of both together. The accompioning music does make you feel that you are about to experience something special.

Start the game and you get the option to launch a new game, continue a game or set-up your wireless connection.

The game can be controlled using the D-Pad and buttons or you can play it using just the DS stylus. I must confess I haven't even read the manual yet and haven't had the need to. I've been using the stylus control method and after about 20 minutes or so it felt second nature.

To move around just move the stylus around the character, if the stylus is close to him, he will walk, move it further away and he runs. The menu is accessed by tapping the menu icon on the top right of the screen. The camera can be zoomed in using an icon on the top left. This comes into play in towns and dungeons for finding hidden switches and items.

All the battle commands can be input using the stylus on the pop-up command menu and if you want to cancel a command just tap the centre of the screen to go back to the beginning of the commands for that character. It's all very intuitive and anyone that has played a Final Fantasy game will feel right at home.

The 3D graphics are very good, the textures are blocky close-up but never horrid. The characters are very nicely presented and the job costumes are nicely detailed. I had both Luneth and Refia in Red Mage costumes, but instead of being in identical outfits their neckacheifs where different in appearance, what with one being a boy and the other a girl. Nice touch I thought.

The battles and spell effects are nicely presented, my characters are only on level 3 magic so I expect I'll see bigger and better effects later on in the game.

The beginning of the game see's you start out as a single character Luneth who has just fallen into the games first dungeon from which you must find your way out. In the process you will have several random battles, discover some treasures and more importantly get your first glimpse as to what the main quest is to be.

Later on you will meet the other members of your party, unlock some different jobs for your characters to develop into, and also unlock Mognet.

Friends can then use Mognet to send each other letters (useful for asking for help, or just to find out how far into the game they have got). You can also send letters to NPC characters you have met along they way. I think that this will trigger sidequests and rewards, though I have yet to try it out as I have been too preoccupied with advancing the excellent main story.

The randomness of the battles can be a little overwhelming/frustrating early on in the game when inventory items are in low supply and players characters have low HP. It doesn't last long as your group develops as with all RPG's of this kind.

If you have a DS and you like the Final Fantasy series then in my opinion you really can't go wrong with this.

I have this in the mail so will sample soon but I'm a little worried about it after having read the IGN review. I found FF 1, 2, and 4 on GBA quite basic and dated (and I don't mean visually) and not really much fun, but FF5 (which I'm playing now on GBA) is great and FF6 a masterpiece.

I just hope this isn't too unforgiving and avoids too much of the bad old RPG things, such as instant death battles and so many random battles you can barely move an inch before being attacked again by yet another invisible enemy.

Comment

The random battle has always been a characteristic of old school FF games. By the look of videos I have seen, this is no exception. As for the epic storyline FF games, the truly engrossing ones don't start until about FF5/6, whereas there you got your deep, meaningful character developments etc, with the first few games in the series you just have your basic save-the-world-from-darkness storyline, with characters you're likely to forget.

That said, I am a huuuuge FF fan, and my collection simply wouldn't be complete without this. Just ordered from an Ebay seller so will hopefully have it in time for my London trip next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
        I have this in the mail so will sample soon but I'm a little worried about it after having read the IGN review. I found FF 1, 2, and 4 on GBA quite basic and dated (and I don't mean visually) and not really much fun, but FF5 (which I'm playing now on GBA) is great and FF6 a masterpiece.

I just hope this isn't too unforgiving and avoids too much of the bad old RPG things, such as instant death battles and so many random battles you can barely move an inch before being attacked again by yet another invisible enemy.
        Read the reviews, it is constant random battles and should be avoided at all costs if you hate them.

Comment

I have exactly the same fears as you Kotatsu. While I did mildy enjoy the earlier FFs and did enjoy playing them again in Dawn of Whatever (the GBA one), I too felt the series really only came into its own in 5. Well, the move started in 4 but I think it took until 5 to really get there.

With this, I'm probably going to end up getting it anyway but I can't help feeling that, if they were going to do so much work on the looks, they could have done much with the story and characterisation. I played FF3 years ago with a translated rom and it really didn't have much to hold interest in terms of either. Without any work in that department, I can't really see why they just didn't chuck it to GBA like the others. At least that way you could have a full old school FF GBA collection.

But, like I said, I'll probably get this anyway at some point...

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this because probably like alot of RPG players it means my collection of FFs is finally complete in terms of just the actual number of games made in the series.

Owning this game will mean I have finally got round to owning every single-player game thats been made in the series in some shape or form. I did have a couple of the original SNES games once of a day, but those got stolen about 4 years ago. I re-bought the majority of the older ones on the PS1 instead. I may now rebuy those originals one day, but as I class myself a player of games as apposed to a collector I always try to stick to not buying two or three versions of the same games - if I can help it. Doesn't always work - mind because i do have a few Super robot Taisen repeats.

As it stands though now just in terms of the 11 singleplayer + FFtactics I own them all on PS1, GBA , PS2 and now with nearly owning the DS version of FFIII it means I have every singleplayer game from 1 through to 12 in some shape or form. I don't have XI though because of the MMO thing, and a lack of decent online capabilities where I live now. Also because I no longer own any of the original versions of some of the early games like I used to I cant say its an actual all out complete collection of Final Fantasys like some can with all the offshoots aswell, but it'll do for me.

The release of this probably means the same for many others aswell but this now completes the collection just in terms of actually playing all the games in the series, so the delivery of this can't come soon enough. I do also have a few fears about what it will be like myself, but I've never actually owned the Japanese version of this before anyway, so I'm looking forward to it anyway and as for the complaints about Random battles I simply hope they are plentiful, and they play out well because I believe you don't even notice they are happening if the battle engine of an RPG is done well. Eitherway turnbased is what appeals to me about these games so long may it continue and now I've finally got all the games in the series aswell(well almost)
            Last edited by AdamJW; 18-11-2006, 13:52.

Comment

Would have been nice to have them all on one system though. Both the PS1 and GBA came so close but fell just one game short - this game.

Comment

It be right though, but it would have been nice to have the proper one in english on the GBA or PS1 instead like you say. At least I can say its now complete - at long last.

Comment

Don't worry - SE will remake all the other in this engine for the DS

Comment

this arrived today, and i've just had 45 minutes with it. the first dungeon, got an extra character and i guess, about to do the second. but i think i'll have an explore around first and see if theres anywhere else to go.

it all seems really nice so far. as said, it looks great. theres a lot of charm in the way the characters are depicted. perhaps there are more random battles later, but so far i dont think its especially worse than any other rpg, ff/dragon quest etc.

Comment

I got this yesterday and had a play with it. It looks really pretty and seems nicely put together. I love the character design (even if the hair styles are a bit ridiculous (as is the norm in Japanese RPGs I suppose)) and the music is pleasant if unusually gritty.

Game seems fine too, doesn't seem too old school/hardcore... at least not yet. (I'm about 2 hours in) After playing some of the other recent DS RPGs and being disappointed with them (Magical Starsign and Children of Mana) this looks like a keeper.

Comment

been playing a bit more this evening. its really quite compulsive. i havent really played a final fantasy game since no.9. and even then i gave up about 2 thirds through. with this i just want to keep going and have a few more battles and try to level up just a bit more. hopefully that feeling will last. but the fact i can do it while watching tv is a major plus....it doesnt feel like its draining quite so much of my time.

i havent figured out about this job class thing though. my characters seem to go up a job level almost every battle, but i dont see any option to change jobs. i assume you have to go somewhere specific to do it.
                        same with the wifi stuff i guess, although i'm not entirely sure what that is either. it sound like you can just send messages, which sounds a bit pointless.

Comment

I am trying to give this some time but the Super robot Taisen game I'd been waiting for arrived yesterday, so I've been struggling to spend time with this as much as I would like because as everyone who knows me will know I'm a more a SRW fan than a FF one. Also what with having FXII on the go aswell.

I was thinknig last night that I would much rather there be some kind of DSplayer like the GBplayer, so I can play it my TV while at home like I do with all my GBA games now. I'd much rather use a big screen rather than screwing my eyes up on the DS while I'm actually in my home. I'd probably play it alot more at home if I could do this, and I'd still play it while out and about aswell, but if there is something like the GBplayer for the Wii than that will probably be when I plough more time into it and I do hope there's something like this for the Wii pretty soon really.

I just think the graphics of this new FFIII (as good as they do look on the DS anyway) do look like a big screen will do them alot more justice, and I'm not saying I won't play it on DS aswell. It would basically just be a preference while I'm at home. Please don't get me wrong I am impressed with what bits I have played, but I think it would be best served on a much bigger screen.At least while I'm at home anyway. I'm just glad to finally own all the FF games in chronological order at long last, so I'll definitely plough sometime into it at some stage. Its just I'd probably enjoy it alot more on a large screen - if I could. Hopefully it will be possible soon enough.
                          Last edited by AdamJW; 22-11-2006, 10:11.

Comment

I really couldn't get on with it. I tried to like it, but it was just too old-skool for me. Too many random battles, and it was hard....or maybe i'm just crap at games now?

A DS player for Wii would be mint, but until we convert our TVs to touch screen it will never happen.
                            Last edited by phorenzik; 22-11-2006, 11:13.

Comment

Trouble with a DS player would be how you handle the touch screen and microphone...

I played another hour of this last night and I really like it. Doesn't feel anywhere near as old school as I feared (much less so than FF4 to be honest) and the visuals are lovely. It's interesting to think that this is kind of what FF7 would have looked like if Square hadn't left Nintendo for Sony. With any luck this will sell well enough for Square to go ahead and remake FF7 on DS, all in 3D and with super deformed characters throughout.

Comment

Working...
                              X